-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I know I am the last person to hear of most things but this is hard to believe.
Does anyone know if these routine restrictions to soldiers 2cnd Ammendmant rights are true?

Edit] What I intended to ask is if anyone knows a soldier affected by this ans has he or she complied?

_Sen. Inhofe Introduces Legislation To Protect Second Amendment Rights Of Military And Dept. Of Defense Civilian Personnel:_ (http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.6527.10.29232) Over a period of some months, NRA members in the Armed Forces have called NRA's attention to the fact that certain military base commanders, exercising arbitrary authority given them under military law and regulations, have issued orders violating military personnel's Second Amendment rights. In a particularly egregious example, Fort Riley, Kansas, has imposed a preposterous regulation that, among other things, (1) requires the registration, with Fort Riley, of its soldiers' privately-owned firearms kept off-base, and those of the soldiers' family members residing anywhere in Kansas, (2) prohibits soldiers who have firearm-carrying permits from carrying firearms for protection off-base, and (3) authorizes unit commanders to set arbitrary limits on the caliber of firearms and ammunition their troops may privately own.

Last edited by william_iorg; 05/30/10.

Slim

N
N
My experience is that this is probably a mis-interpretation of the policy. Most posts have a policy that requires personnel living ON post to register their firearms with the provost marshal, and soldiers living in the barracks to register and maintain their firearms in a unit arms room. These policies don't extend to personnel who live off post. Any Post Commander who enacts a policy that is any more restrictive usually has to reverse that once the lawyers get a hold of it. As far carrying, the commander can more than likely extend this order to off-post in the same way that we require soldiers to wear helmets when they ride motorcycles off post, regardless of the state laws.

BDN

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thats what I thought. Things could not have changed this much.

When I was a young soldier I kept my handguns in the Arms room and it was no big deal to gain acces to them.

Slim
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weapons on a base is a PIA for the troops. For me it wasnt that bad since I was the armorer and had 24hour access to the armory...not that I kept my guns there.

One time when I was living in base housing here at elmendorf, my carbon monoxide detector when ballistic. I called the fire department to check the place out. When they were searching the house I forgot all about my stash. I guess they were surprised when they opened my closet and seen the 25 or so rifles and handguns and the 50 or so pounds of powder. The firemen told me nice collection but my first shirt was still notified. Nothing came out of it though. At the time I was 1 of 12 Marines stationed up here and my 1stSgt didnt like the AF telling him what to do.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by newt66ssa
My experience is that this is probably a mis-interpretation of the policy. Most posts have a policy that requires personnel living ON post to register their firearms with the provost marshal, and soldiers living in the barracks to register and maintain their firearms in a unit arms room. These policies don't extend to personnel who live off post. Any Post Commander who enacts a policy that is any more restrictive usually has to reverse that once the lawyers get a hold of it. As far carrying, the commander can more than likely extend this order to off-post in the same way that we require soldiers to wear helmets when they ride motorcycles off post, regardless of the state laws.

BDN

Back when I was in (Ft. Carson, early 90s), they had a policy that all e-6s and below had to store privately owned firearms in the arms room, whether living on post or off. That was the first time I sold all my guns, and didn't have any left to bring in.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From my experience, when one is in the military there are no Constitutional Rights.

Don't mind Inhofe tilting at this windmill, but it won't change anything. Military personnel are regulated by general orders, direct and lawful orders and the UCMJ. Period.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But can the military come to your off base house and search it without a warrant? Especially if a non military person also lives there, like your wife.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
From my experience, when one is in the military there are no Constitutional Rights.

Don't mind Inhofe tilting at this windmill, but it won't change anything. Military personnel are regulated by general orders, direct and lawful orders and the UCMJ. Period.

And that why when they screw with you the first person in your Chain of Command is your Senator and your Representative hope you have good ones. We got three CO's and one post commander relieved.

NRA Lifetime Member
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Crosshair
I think in that case your house is off limits without a warrant. They can however restrict the soldier to base. However unless the dependent is on post they have no say in what the dependent can say, do or own. As far as registering family members weapons who live in the same state I don't see that one going over real well. Some of the senior officers out there think and act just like liberal democrats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,180 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.