D
DMB Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100531/ap_on_re_us/us_hiker_kills_grizzly

20 mins ago
ANCHORAGE, Alaska � A backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park, officials said.

A man and woman reported that they were hiking Friday evening when the bear emerged from trailside brush and charged the woman, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.

The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

The two reported the shooting to rangers, who restricted access to the Igloo Canyon area for fear that the bear was wounded and dangerous.

On Saturday, rangers found the dead bear about 100 feet from the shooting site.

Park officials are determining the justification for the shooting. It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.

Rangers said it was the first known instance of a grizzly bear being shot by a visitor in the wilderness portion of Denali, formerly called Mount McKinley National Park.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If indeed he had to shoot, it is good he had the real thing instead of pepper spray.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would like to be on that jury if it goes to that......How can it be legal to carry but illegal to discharge??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.

What sub-genius dreamt that up?

"Just show it to the bear and he'll run away."

The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

They WAY under penetrate on bear grin

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
At least it wasn't a Kel Tec .32, or we might be reading about how the bear had a snack.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bear stopped and walked away, the report says, which makes me doubt that it was charging.

Too many people interpret the approach of a park bear as charging. Park bears soon lose their fear of humans and become fearless, shameless beggars.

Was this one just looking for a hand-out? I'd expect a bear that was really charging to continue charging as long as it was able � not to just shrug, think Oh, well, win some, lose some � better go lie down for a while, and walk away.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The only thing I know about bears is you never know about bears. They are as 'individualistic' as people, perhaps more so.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Either way, I'm guessing you had to be there...

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good thing he wasn't packing a 9mm! smile <popcorn>

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
The bear stopped and walked away, the report says, which makes me doubt that it was charging.

Too many people interpret the approach of a park bear as charging. Park bears soon lose their fear of humans and become fearless, shameless beggars.

Was this one just looking for a hand-out? I'd expect a bear that was really charging to continue charging as long as it was able � not to just shrug, think Oh, well, win some, lose some � better go lie down for a while, and walk away.

I probably don't know near as much about bears as a lot of people on here but one thing I do know. Whether or not the bear was charging of looking for a hand out it sure as hell won't do either again. grin

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am thinking he would have been better off with a Glock 10MM.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree. If you are going to carry a semi-auto, the 10mm would certainly be a good choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always heard the 45-70 lever gun.

smile

At any rate, I'm kinda surprised to read of hikers packing heat. In my experience, hiking and backpacking tend to attract those who sing to bears, munch tofu and dislike things that go boom. I hope any attempts at prosecution are quickly disregarded.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okok
Good thing he wasn't packing a 9mm!

It's interestng to note what will and what won't kill big critters � and under what circumstances.

I remember an elephant and a polar bear that were killed with rimfire .22s. Of course, they weren't charging and probably died slowly.

When I first moved to Alaska in 1957, friends there told me about a couple of GIs who emptied a belt of service .30-06 ammo from a machine gun into a polar bear without stopping it. It ran them down and killed them before it died from its wounds. I'm not sure after all these years, but IIRC, it wasn't charging when they first shot it, but it sure was after being shot made it mad.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

smile

At any rate, I'm kinda surprised to read of hikers packing heat. In my experience, hiking and backpacking tend to attract those who sing to bears, munch tofu and dislike things that go boom.

In my experience a higher % of hikers are more likely to endorse firearms use than the general public.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now the 5.56 would prolly have vaporized the Yogi. grin

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
....How can it be legal to carry but illegal to discharge??

My thought is that it's legal to carry for defense of life but not for target shooting, a good shoot wouldn't be charged for illegal discharge of firearm but a bad shoot (or target shooting) most likely would.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by n007
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

smile

At any rate, I'm kinda surprised to read of hikers packing heat. In my experience, hiking and backpacking tend to attract those who sing to bears, munch tofu and dislike things that go boom.

In my experience a higher % of hikers are more likely to endorse firearms use than the general public.

That's good news.
Thanks.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ken, did you take into account the fact that many reporters write about topics of which they no little to nothing about. It could be that the bear charge was halted by the wounds it received and then staggered away.

Given as were weren't there, and that we'll only get one side of this story, I'd side with the one that came out alive.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll bet someone is rethinking their choice in backcountry sidearm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1minute, 117LBS, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,320
Posts18,505,818
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.