Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Okay. I have some extra cash and am going to finally purchase a rifle chambered in 45-70. What is the best bang for my buck under a grand. I have some thoughts on manufacturers and models such as the following:<P>Ruger K1-S-BBZ<BR>Marlin 1895G<BR>New England Firearms....<BR>Thompson Center Arm&#8217;s Encore Rifle<BR>Creedmore Rolling Block from Cabelas<BR>1874 Sharps Rifle also from Cabelas<P>This is by no means intended to be an exhaustive list and yes I do seem to be interested in the single shot rifles more than the lever action Marlin Guide gun. I have my own opinion on what I would like to buy but if you were me what would you buy?

It is not critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triump of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.<P>----- Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like lever action guns in 45/70 the best,but i also love my Ruger #1 in 45/70 also.Both the Marlin 1895g and the Ruger that you mentioned are excellent rifles.I have no experience with the other rifles that you mentioned.I am not positive,but I think that only the Marlin and Ruger will handle the high pressure cartridges.Since you mentioned that you prefer single shots I would chose either the Sharps replica or the Ruger.Whichever one you chose you can not go wrong because the 45/70 is a fun and versatile cartridge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The T/C Encore does have the bonus of having interchangeable barrels. Also, it is as strong as the Marlin and I would think could handle the Ruger loads as well after all they do make Encore barrels in the belted Mag chamberings. Ruger No. 1's are beautiful rifles and if you want a single shot then go for that one. I would not be with out my 1895G, but that is personal preference as well as the type of hunting I do. <BR>Any of those guns would be a winner as far as I am concerned. So take your choice knowing that you did not make a poor decision. Sean

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Take a look at the 1895SS in 45/70. I was originally going to buy one of the "Guide rifles" but found out I didn't like the way the straight grip felt. The 1895SS has a curved grip and fit my hand much better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know the guys that own the Marlin�s love them and they are a great rifle, but let me play devil�s advocate just a bit. The drop at heel on that lever action stock will whack your face quite a bit more than the straighter Ruger or Encore stock. I say that based on my ownership of a .444 Marlin rifle. That thing smacked my face harder than any other rifle I ever owned. Even a .30-30 will hit you harder than it rightfully should. Now to be fair, Marlin is making a 26� barreled Cowboy model. That long heavy barrel should help to tame the muzzle jump somewhat.<P>The Ruger is a fine firearm and with the 22� barrel it sure does handle nice. I only fired a friend�s #1 with some warmish loads (400 grainer at around 1800 fps) and while it thumps you a bit it comes pretty much straight back at you without whacking your face. I always pick one up to handle at the gun shows and it is only by continued strong will power that I haven�t bought one. I just don�t have a realistic use for one but they are so damn neat!<P>Don�t have any experience with the Cabelas rifles but I seem to recall reading something about them in Gun Tests magazine. Seems like they said the Cabelas� models were a good alternative unless you wanted to pony up the big bucks and wait a year for a genuine C. Sharps or something. Some folks criticize this mag and while it has it�s faults I�ve found it to be a fair general guide to the quality of a particular piece. You might call them at 800/424-7887 to order the issue with their review.<P>Remember that the strength of the Creedmoor and 1874 Sharps will be limited by their original designs if you ever wanted to load up a bit. Also, these rifles are a bit heavy and ungainly to use with their long, long barrels and I did not care for the feel of the pistol grip. That�s purely MHO based on handling some Sharps replicas, someone else may find them well balanced and �gainly�. If you are attracted to the traditional .45-70 rifles then either of these would probably be a good choice.<P>My purely subjective opinion would be to get the Ruger #1. It has the strongest action on the market, good accuracy, good stock design and good handling. Scope mounting is a piece of cake if you so desire, otherwise it comes with decent open sights and peep sights are readily available.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would agree that the Marlin 1895 would be a better choice. Used to be called the 1895SS but is now just the 1895.<BR> [Linked Image] <BR>I just don't think the majority of people need the short/ported barrel. Even better would be a 1970s vintage Marlin 1895, straight grip, squared lever, curved butt plate and 22" barrel (some are microgroove, some are not).

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
S
S
Most of my guns have been varmint oriented (.22 and .22mag, .22 Hornet, .223) in bolt, single shot (Contender) and semi-auto. I just got the big bore bug and went with the Marlin 1895 (22" bbl, pistol grip stock and no ports). Picking it up tomorrow and hopefully will get to try it out at the local range on Sunday.<P>To realize the potential of the 45-70 you really have to reload. Certainly no negative in that.

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you to all who replied. I have always wanted a big bore rifle and now that I have completed my small caliber selection (at least until I see something else that I want) I am going to make the purchase. After visiting the Marlin boards though i kinda had my interest peeked in the .50 Alaskan. I was planning on reloading my 45-70 rounds anyway so.... My only hesitation is that the .50 Alaskan is a new round and as a rule I do not buy new rounds. I like rounds that have been around and time tested over and over and over like the 45-70. Anyway, thanks again and have a nice evening.

It is not critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triump of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.<P>----- Theodore Roosevelt
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
<B>Varminteer</B>,<P>I have one of the New England Firearms guns with the long forend and it is a well made rifle. A bit underfinished but for $200 you can't expect Sako quality. <P>If I were to buy another 45-70 (and I intend to), the Browning 1885 would be the one I think. Nicely finished and extremely strong, it would make a dandy 45-70. <P>UPDATE: Browining has evidently cut back on the 1885 models this year as their website only lists the Low Wall Traditional Hunter and the Standard High Wall and 45-70 is no longer offered. Dang!!!!<P>Also, the Wesson & Harrington Buffalo Classic by H&R is a very nice rifle. Much better finish than the NEF version with a colored case hardened reciever, 19th century style checkering, and a 32 inch barrel. They are nice. Gonna try and find one myself in a couple of months.<P>Larry L

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

D
OP Offline
D
Larry,<P>i have a NEF in .22 Hornet and i just ordered the heavy .223 remington barrel to go with it. I looked at the buffalo classic -- that is a nice looking rifle so i am going to check one out this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I hope I am not too late. The best thing that you can get is a 1895GS. It is a SS 1895G. I have one and absolutely love it. It is the best hunting rifle that I own. If you want a 50 Alaskan, have Wild West Guns do it and you can still keep the price under 1000 if you buy from Davidson's. Also, Buffalo Bore will be offering 50 Alaskan in the future (I dont know if anyone has mentioned this...)

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I own the 1895ss (now 1895) and think it is the best Marlin for the 45-70. I question what the muzzle brake can actually do for you with only a single and possibly a double shot...also the 4 inches less of barrel..is it really that much better than the std length 1895ss which is already handy and accurate.<BR>I would highly recommend the 1895ss...buy a set of Ashley or Williams ghost ring sights and front blades...drill out your front sight hood and put in a fiber optic one...then buy the AO Scout Mount and top it off with removeable rings and either the Leupold or Burris Scout scope. Then you will have a rifle that can take any animal in the world at distances from 15 feet through 200 yds...though I would use Garret ammo on anything bigger than a mule deer and at ranges over 100 yds unless you handload yourself...good luck.

keep em sharp,<P>ron herman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys, I have to vote for the #1. That is one gorgeous, classy rifle. I wish I had a reason to get one. I handle them as often as I can and think it is one of the most desireable rifles around. I can't think of a better cartridge for it except maybe the .35 Whelen. Hey, wait a minute ...<P>Thanks for the torment, Talus<P>Jim, speaking of lever gun facewhacking, I had a little Mod. 94 Winnie, 16 inch barrel, in .30-.30. She often reminded me she was there! But she was gorgeous too. Not nearly in league with the Ruger, though.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Your choice depends upon the reason and use of the .45/70. If you want looks and fun, get on the list for a Shilo Sharps from Montana. A notch below this is class would be a Ruger #1, but very nice. <P>If used for an air plane rifle, or for hunting then go with the Marlin 1895 (was the SS)<P>If you want a reason to go to gun shows and shop and you do not want to shoot heavy loads, finding a Ruger #3 would be fun.<P>It all depends on your desired use and funds.

Fish Springs
P
P
Don't leave out the Browning 1885. I have one and it really shoots. You can use heavy loads without too much concern because the extra weight of the rifle absorbs more of the punishment.<P>Bill

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked at a Marlin Cowboy gun in 45-70 the other day and it was sweet. Octagon barrel, long and forward balancing, slim forend, the only thing I didn't like was the white diamond in the notch of the rear buckhorn site, I was inside, but it seemed to blur my site picture as I aimed at the roof. They also had a SS #1 that was pretty handy..<P>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Ruger gets my vote. I have one, I also have an 1895 with micro groove rifling. Nice older rifle that shoots jacketed bullets just fine but forget about shooting cast bullets. Infact the 45/70 is a favorite around my place as we now have four of them. Trapdoor and T/C Contender along with the above mentioned rifles. Been thinking of buying a NEF for a truck gun. <P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
B
B
I think you need to visit to this site.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.wildwestguns.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.wildwestguns.com/</A> [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img]

S
S
I own and shoot several 45/70s. Marlin 1895 - Ruger #1 - and a custom made one on a Siamese Mauser action that is a sweet shooter, but for my money the Ruger #1 is the ticket, unless you want to go over your $1000. Then a custom would be my pick.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Ihad a H&R handi Rifle in 45-70 and found it was an excellent shooter with black powder loads and 385 gr cast bullets. This gun would give 5 shot groups of less than one inch when scoped. Unfortunately I no longer have it. Too many heavy, overbook loads with a 30-30 barrel caused the firing pin to mushroom and led to misfires. Also the short sight radius when using an aperture rear sight gave a real disadvantage when shooting steel rams at 500 metres. <BR>I currently have a Pedersoli rolling block in 45-70 for occassional silouette shooting. I believe they are sold in the US by Cabelas. They are another choice for a "play gun" but are a bit clumbersome for hunting. I didn't mention that to the deer and antelope it has harvested.

Murf
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,667
Posts18,513,075
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.