Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AndyG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but didn't find anything under the search bar. I've been thinking about switching to a whisker bisuit and I shoot feathers. I know that the will ripple vanes after enough shots. But does anyone use this rest with feathers? Do they tear the feathers also? I think the vanes ripple because they have no where to bend out of the way, but I would think the feathers would push down or fold back under the bristles. Anyone know anything about this.

Also, I'm in the market for a new bow. Anyone know anything about the quality of Athens Archery or New Breed?

Thanks guys.

Never be upset by getting old, many never get the privilege.

Knock knock. Who's there? 9/11. 9/11 who? You said you'd never forget.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
feathers and whisker biscuit is a great combo - I've been using it for about 4-5 years. I shoot thousands of arrows a year and refletch once or twice a year. It will eventually tatter the edges a bit, not to the point where it affects arrow flight but they get a little noisier. My wife shoots vanes through the whisker biscuit and those hold up fine too.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I shoot feathers through a Biscuit.

Just make sure the leading edge of the fletching/feather is well glued down to the shaft. I've got a few hundred shots of feathers through mine with few ill effects.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I shoot both feathers, 4" vanes, and blazers through a biscuit without a problem. My 4" vanes are becoming rippled after about a year of shooting 50-75 arrows per week. The feathers are on my hunting shafts and get shot very little, but still show no wear. Pass-through on a deer is a killer to the feathers in comparison.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the feathers thru a whisker biscuit. I always dab a spot of fletch-tite on the tips of my fletching regardless the type of rest or fletching material.

Time has come for the U.S. to be proactive instead of reactive to those who would kill us !!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What size feathers are you shooting in the whisker biscuit?
Will the short blazer lengths work in feathers...I may also consider going to four fletch of the two inch length...

I like the four fletch since there is only two ways to hook it on the string and both are right....

Last edited by nclonghunter; 05/25/10.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If you are concerned with the Whisker Biscuit damaging fletching, I recommend the Octane Hostage Pro rest (http://www.fuelthehunt.com/hostagepro.php) that I have on my bow. Three brushes are used to hold the arrow and the fletching passes between the brushes.

Since you are considering the Athens bow, you may inquire about that company's Alpha rest (http://www.athensarchery.com/alpha.html#omega). Athens claims its rest provides 100% vane clearance.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The whisker biscuit is the best rest I have ever used. You will not have any problems with the feathers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,306 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,256
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.