Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hi all
today I tried to reload the 215gr roundnose bullets that i have managed to get for my 303 long lee.
HOWEVER most if not all got stuck inside the lee seating die, i changed to the RCBS which fared slightly better. both times i slightly lubricated inside of the die.
one seated to desired length the bullets were able to be rotated by fingers in the case,i tried crimping them which slightly helped but i think with slight force they could be rotated, normally i dont loke crimping as i believe it reduces the case life.
as the bullets were roundnose should some sort of different die have been used? also the bullet had a knurled ring around it, and was woundering if it should have been just outside the case mouth as when it was slightly in rather loose but tthe length would have been shorter than the made up ones
any pointers very much appreciated
douglass

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if you have one or not, but first you need to get a very good and informative loading manual. Maybe even two or three by different publishers, to get different points of view.

Then, study throughly the parts about sizing, lubing cases, and seating bullets, and especially safety.

The knurled ring is known as a cannalure. When you crimp, if you do, the crimp folds into this cannalure.

Both times you lightly lubricated inside the die. The sizing die or the seating die? You don't lubricate the seating die.

D
OP Offline
D
hi there,
i have tried 174gr bullets and they seem fine, must be the 215gr head that is slightly small in circumference. hich is a pity.
however will have to slug the bore, a friend tried cerrosafe but it wouldnt budge abd we ended up heating a rod and burning the stuff out which took ages. it is for the long lee enfield which didnt like modern 303 loads
regards
douglass

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have a micrometer, measure your bullets, both the 174 and 215 grain.

According to my Sierra Manual, a .303 British bullet is .311" in diameter.

You keep mentioning the long Lee Enfield. I am not familiar with this rifle and/or cartridge. The only ones I am familiar with are the SMLE rifles.

Also, while you are measuring, because of the loose fit, you need to know the neck wall thickness. If it is not about .015" thick, that could be the reason for your loose bullets.

To measure neck wall thickness, seat a bullet of known diameter into a sized case. Subtrack bullet dia. and divide by two. This will give you neck wall thickness.

Obviously, if the 215 grain bullets are loose, you won't get an accurate measurment, so do it with the 174 grain bullets.

I am assuming you are talking about the .303 British military cartridge. The long Enfield is somewhat confusing to me.

If you slug the barrel, I think that it is 5 groove, so measuring for diameter will require a differnt style of measuring than if it was an even groove barrel.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1moredeer, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,800
Posts18,516,252
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.