Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I haven't tried R15 in the new gun yet but will one of these days.

I tried Varget last night, and not sure if it's a "huge upside" or not but the load I used in it which appeared to be closed to top end ran 155 fps slower with the 139 than the top end R17 load did. I guess I'll take 155 fps as an up side, not sure if it's huge or not but I'd say considering the lil case that it's a fairly big if not huge up side.

I'm not a monster fan of the 120 TSX as I like two holes in elk and quite honestly I feel I'll get them more often with the heavier slugs so I don't happen to concur that they light 120 will do everthing the heaviers do. Though I imagine they'll do just fine from time to time.

So tell me how and why the peformance of the 160's and up don't fit well? What is it that you feel they won't do when it comes to killing deer/elk/lopes etc to 400 and beyond?

And what I'm wondering is why on earth you'd care if I'm "fooling with the heavier bullets"?

The way I see it the lil 7 is very much like the 7x57 and that's been used with 160's and 175's for how long...?

So what am I missing here, help me out...why is is that I shouldn't be using the heavier slugs?

I mean seriously what do you feel that will happen if you start a 160 @ say 2600 and you hit a lope/deer/elk with it @ 400 yds?

Dober
I'm on your side Dober, use any damn bullet you feel like using and I reserve the right to do the same as well, damnit. grin

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Azar
Dober,

Not to derail the discussion to much but how much have you used the 139g Horn out of the bigger 7's? Is it stout enough to use on mulies out of a 7mm RM? Or would the 154 be a better choice?
My dad has used that bullet for years on Mulies out of his 7 Rem. Mag. with great success, the 154 gr is just more of a good thing.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Azar
Dober,

Not to derail the discussion to much but how much have you used the 139g Horn out of the bigger 7's? Is it stout enough to use on mulies out of a 7mm RM? Or would the 154 be a better choice?

Not Dober but last year I shot a mule deer as he was getting away, with a very hard quartering away shot with a 139 Horn out of a 7mm-08. Impact was probably about 2600 at 110 yards I figure. It entered at the very front edge of his back left quarter (left most of it inedible) and some of the bullet exited the right side of his neck (think it was just a fragment).

The bullet showed to have penetrating abilities but did shoot up quite a bit of meat at intermediate velocity. I can only imagine the 154 grainer being more of a better thing.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Azar-for 3 barrels now I've used the 139 Horn with IMR4350 in my 7 Mashburn Super as a fire forming load. The load runs @ 3200 and with the game I've shot with it from big to small I'd have no worries about using it in a serious manner on big game.

I have the dotz on my Mashburn set by Premier to 700 yds with the 150 NBT so I mainly use that for all that moves.

I'd load em up and shot fill a couple of arks with it and then make your decision.. wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just got in from the range and my test of one group with the 120 NBT with 49 of R17. I only had 4 rounds with me so I shot 3 on paper and one over paper just to get an idea.

The 3 on paper went into .42" and the one over the clock went at 2855 fps. I have brass to load now and so I'll give it a bit more go in the next couple days.

Then I shot the 120 X, I had 4 of them as well. The 3 on paper went into .58" and the one over the clock with a Hot barrel went @ 2962 fps...

Barrel was hot and time was short but I shot 3 of the 139 Horns with 47/R17 and they went into .63" and their speed was 2807. I really like this load and this bullet and so may well just use it for all. It's accurate, I can buy 100 for about 23 bucks or so and they fly well to 400 yds (haven't tested past 400 but I will)

Also for giggles I sent another (one) 175 Nozler over the screen with 45/R17 and this one went @ 2569.

Last note, I have an old 3-9 Burris with BP on this rig and I set it up to 400 yds with the 139 Horn load with ease. The bullet is one inch high at 100, then @ 200 the 1st plex is spot on (however on a 200 yd deer could easily just use the center plex), then the 2nd plex is balls on @ 300 and the 4th plex is balls on @ 400. When I get time I'll ring the last plex (actually the top of the bottom post) @ 500 just to check it. But at this time I'm comfy to 400 with no worries.

This lil gun simply amazes me, I shoot it cold/hot/120's/139's/150's/160's/168/175 and all with R17 and they all shoot anything from sub 1" to in the .2's and .'3's..

Kind of nice after all the crap I went thru in this last year with the Lilja #1 and all the trials it gave me. Then I spend a fraction on this lil gun and it shoots bug holes..!

My only question is...how on earth did they make these 788's to shoot so well and why on earth did they stop making them.

The night b4 I got it I spoke with JB about maybe turning it into a Roberts or Swifto but me thinks not...grin

Have a super day all!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very nice Dober...

Awesome speeds with the 139's at over 2800...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My only question is...how on earth did they make these 788's to shoot so well and why on earth did they stop making them.

I have often wondered the same, especially when I play with a later M700 based rifle that shoots well until you push it - and the front-locking bolt begins to flex (in order to make full contact with both lugs). Isn't that supposed to be the theoretical (actual/real) problem with rear lockers?

(I never actually learned to shoot centerfire until I hooked up with a M788. Neither the M70 222 or M670 30-06 were ever capable of what that little old, rough-bored 788 was easily capable of regularly. Good rifles.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got in from the range and my test of one group with the 120 NBT with 49 of R17. I only had 4 rounds with me so I shot 3 on paper and one over paper just to get an idea.

The 3 on paper went into .42" and the one over the clock went at 2855 fps. I have brass to load now and so I'll give it a bit more go in the next couple days.

Then I shot the 120 X, I had 4 of them as well. The 3 on paper went into .58" and the one over the clock with a Hot barrel went @ 2962 fps...

Barrel was hot and time was short but I shot 3 of the 139 Horns with 47/R17 and they went into .63" and their speed was 2807. I really like this load and this bullet and so may well just use it for all. It's accurate, I can buy 100 for about 23 bucks or so and they fly well to 400 yds (haven't tested past 400 but I will)

Very nice performance on the 139..........would you say it's max or near max?

Might be able to wring a bit more out of the 120 NBT?

How would you describe that load relative to max & to the X load?

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by "Mark R Dobrenski"
This lil gun simply amazes me, I shoot it cold/hot/120's/139's/150's/160's/168/175 and all with R17 and they all shoot anything from sub 1" to in the .2's and .'3's..

Kind of nice after all the crap I went thru in this last year with the Lilja #1 and all the trials it gave me. Then I spend a fraction on this lil gun and it shoots bug holes..!

No kidding! That kind of performance is nice from a custom, let alone from a few hundred dollar used gun...

Did you ever sort out the issues with that Lilja #1?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For the poster who asked about the 139gr Hornady out of the big 7.....I have killed 4 deer with it and a few friends have killed alot of deer with them and not one failure. I talked them into that bullet and it's all they use.
I shot em in my 7mm rem mag for awhile then switched to 140gr BT's. I have on idea why just wanted to try something different I guess.
The 139gr Hornady is a great bullet in both the 7-08 and the big 7.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
MM-tough to say on the 120 loads, I had the X's just a skosh long and could feel it. I think that both of them are about at top end. Perhaps could go to 50 but both shot so well I don't see the reason. I only had a couple X's so I'm out of them, will do more work with the 120's to see if what they did today is repeatable and I spect it is.

I'll also do a bit more shooting at the 400 yd mark to see how they all shoot in terms of accuracy out there. I really have a thing for the 139 Horns as I've used them a lot over the years and they've always treated me well so kind of spect I'll end up there. But one never knows, we could go with the 120 NBT's and hit it hard this year and try to fill up an ark.

Lastly, I'd like to try the 14o Berger in the lil gun as well. I spect it'll shot them quite well as to date the way the lil gun shoots I spect I could feed it jelly belly's and it'd still shoot bug holes. Or would that be jelly bean holes.. wink

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really have a thing for the 139 Horns as I've used them a lot over the years and they've always treated me well

Dober

I like the 139 Hornady a lot too.........use it a lot in 280's, & it's almost twin, the 140 gr., in the 270 has always been good for me, too.

They're good game bullets & dependably accurate in most guns too; just can't go wrong with them.

They don't break the bank either.

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks like you got a real shooter there.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of those rifles, 788 with the 18" or whatever barrel, only it's in 243. I keep thinking I am going to get rid of it, but the thing just shoots so darn well. It has that thick barrel, and shoots.

What I don't like is the safety. On my rifle, IMO it comes off of safe too easily and could come off unnoticed. I need to find a fix for that.

Last edited by AJD; 06/03/10.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"My only question is...how on earth did they make these 788's to shoot so well and why on earth did they stop making them."

They are shooters Mark! Mom's .243 drives tacks, as does a carbine 7-08 just like yours. The .222 is still one of the most accurate rifles I've ever fired, and has killed a pile of PA groundhogs. Great rifles.

Reading your thread with great interest, as I'm getting started on working up a load in the wife's Kimber 84M 7-08. I'm kinda focusing on the 156gr Norma, as the go to bullet. Was going to try mono's(140 TTSX, GMX, and 150 E-Tip), but when I made up some dummy rounds, they had to be seated way too deep in order to eject a loaded round. They ejection port is tight. Haven't tried a 140 TSX. Maybe without the plastic tip, they'll fit.

Thanks for the great range reports!

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Let us know how it goes Jeff, this lil gun has been a world of pleasure since working with that dastardly jinxed Lilja #1 barrel on my lil Mauser. That one just about took me to the edge of a cliff and then friends Brad and Bob reminded me it wasn't worth the worry....

I'd encourage you to just give the 139 Horn a go.

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark,

Will do. I'll definitely try the 139 Horn's. Don't think I've ever owned a 7mm bore rifle, that they didn't shoot in. It's just that we'll be taking this rifle for PG next April, and I wanted something perhaps a bit tougher, though there are no flies on this great bullet!

Hope all is well with you and yours. We've had a great summer so far, and getting some much needed rain, today.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jeff-when you coming this way for a lope hunt?

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark,

Will likely apply for next year. Gonna go the DIY route next time. Too many house projects to roam very far from home this year. frown I can't wait to get back to MT to hunt antelope. I could get used to that real easily!(both MT and antelope!)

What primer are you lighting the RL-17 with?

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Plain Jane CCI 200 and when you draw let me know and perhaps this time I can get out with you.

Dober

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1234, 222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 72 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,786
Posts18,496,009
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.