Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had problems with my Cooper in 17 Mach 2. Feeding out of the magazine problems. Send it back, they will make it right.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I would imagine that the Anschutz 54 action rifles are very good functioning guns, the only Anschutz rifles I have owned had the 64 action and they didn't function worth a damn, I've owned 5 1416's that I can remember and not one would eject a case reliably, a few were very accurate though.....I agree on the excellent dependability of the Ruger 77/22 I have also owned several of these with no functioning issues whatsoever, but I never had one that I would call a real Shooter either.............Hillbilly.

Since you seem to like the Ruger, you might be interested to know that Ruger is reputed to have changed the barrel attachment method to the usual thread instead of the clamp. I say reputed because I have not yet laid eyes on one.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334060

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Do you think that change would make the 77/22 more accurate?...............Hillbilly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Threaded or clamped to the action, it is still a Ruger barrel. IMHO, the only thing that would make Ruger 22 rifles consistently accurate would be if Green Mountain started making and chambering all their barrels.

And, if Ruger would embark on a tolerance tightening/retooling regimen as they did with the Mini -14 a few years agoIf they did that, a new m77/22 mightactually be worth what they currently charge for them. wink

One thing is for sure, going to threaded barrels was a dumb move from a marketing stadpoint by Ruger. I know whay they did it- Liability. but still it was a marketing advantage for Ruger. The whole easy barrel drop in was a selling point for the m77/22 rifles. It also gave owners with poor shooting turds a gracefull way to save their rifles. Now, the Ruger faithfull have no other economical choice but to send the gun back to the factory if it does not shoot well( and many of them do not)...

In truth however, that is justice, in the end. If Ruger builds $500++ bolt rimfire that don't shoot worth a damn, then THEY should pay the tab to make them right.

Last edited by jim62; 06/05/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree Jim, and I laughed out loud at the part about the turd laugh....I wonder how hard it would be to find one of the old clamp in type barreled 77/22's NIB? I think this may be the way to go if the Green Mountain barrels are accurate enough and with a new trigger of course..I know the action is a solid performer, I'm glad this was suggested, this set-up never occurred to me before but I like the idea..........Hillbilly.

IC B2

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I agree Jim, and I laughed out loud at the part about the turd laugh....I wonder how hard it would be to find one of the old clamp in type barreled 77/22's NIB? I think this may be the way to go if the Green Mountain barrels are accurate enough and with a new trigger of course..I know the action is a solid performer, I'm glad this was suggested, this set-up never occurred to me before but I like the idea..........Hillbilly.

That's basically what I've done, got a s/s model 77/22 and added a walnut stock, trigger assembly and a 20" s/s green mountain fluted barrel.

Looks great, and shoots excellent for the most part; 1/4" to 3/8" at 50yds, but then throws fliers out to a 1/2" or so. Beats me why it does that, I'm stumped.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Sounds like a very nice rig, I have been looking and so far had no luck finding a NIB clamp in barrel model 77/22, I'm not ready to give up yet though...................Hillbilly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
And you know VA, I LIKE the Ruger m77s as a basic rifle.

Back in the Early 1980s, about the only really high grade Rimfire bolt rifles were the Anschutes and the then new Kimber m82s.

I actually wrote a letter to Ruger asking for them to build a riomfire version of the m77 bolt gun. I asked for a ,77 style tang safety, Ruger scope mounts and their rotary clip. About two years later, they came out with the little m77/22.

rifles.And they were deftinely a dream come true. I bought one the second year they were out and while that particular rifle shot OK, I never could get used to the sloppy fit of the action .

Over the years I have owned several other m77/22s and still disliked the lack of precsison fit in that action. I DO hope that the barrel thread change means that Ruger is embarking on a tolerance tighteing /tooling rework on the m77/22 rifles.

With the cost of all European rimfires going up - even the CZs- Ruger can still compete at the price point if they offer the same overall accuracy and precision in an American made package. If they do, I will surely give them another shot.

Last edited by jim62; 06/07/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Jim, I'm afraid the threaded barrel change on the new Rugers will just make it that much harder to get one that shoots, at least with the old system you could make a simple barrel change and have a barrel made to match grade tolerances, now we are at Rugers mercy to build an accurate 22lr sporter and I like You have owned several 77/22's and none were what I consider good shooters, so I have little faith in Ruger tightening up tolerances in these latest rifles, I will be actively searching for a NIB old model 77/22 which I have had zero luck in finding so far..............Hillbilly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a wood/blued 77/22 that just changed the barrel out to a Green Mtn 20" sporter fluted one....took a year to get the barrel up here and now I just need to get out and shoot it. Really hope the wait was worth it! I really like the action on them and the way they feel personally...but it would be nice as said above if Ruger could put one out that would shoot consistently. I dont think you can beat the mag system Ruger offers however....

Rob
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree Harv, Your Ruger should be hard to beat..I hope it's a shooter, Good luck...................Hillbilly.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1234, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,014
Posts18,481,586
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.