-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thinking of getting one in 7mmSTW. Great looking gun but I don't know of anyone around here that has one. I was just wanting to know if anyone has one, in any caliber, to see how it grouped. I haven't owned a stainless rifle, is there anything that I needed to know. What scope would you suggest? I was thinking of a 3-12 in a Leo or Burris. Well thanks for the help ahead of time. Ryan

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A couple buddies have them,in 7mmRem Mag,7STW(rechambered from RemMag),338Win and 375H&H.<BR>They all wear the typical injection moulded stock,ALL have been replaced,for a superior handle(McMillan WinLites). I'm not implying such a transition is mandatory,with your rifle's purchase,but it is a very nice upgrade in both looks and function. <P>In regards to accuracy,several shoot rather well. The 338Win and STW are models I have personally played with most. They'd easily shoot under an inch,with XLC's(225's and 140's respectively).<P>In my opinion,they are a sound rifle,though many balk at their sometimes shoddy machine work. Such things don't concern me,so I couldn't weigh in on that matter. So I'd say they are a sound rifle,despite my being an unabashed Remigton 700 fanatic.<P>Regarding your scope selection,I am VERY heavily biased. I've had three Burris failures while Hunting and you couldn't GIVE me another one. I also had very poor luck,in regards to Burris "Customer Satisfaction". It's been 4yrs since the last time and I'm still hot! I've yet to crash a Leupold and filed far more of them,than anything else. So they are naturally subjected to more abuses,due to their more oft time afield. Leupold or bust for me. A STW and a 3.5-10X,covers many scenarios quite handily.<P>For more hands-on insight,I'd post this on the Big Game Board. Many there,own this make/model,in assorted chamberings.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ryan Definatley do what B.S. (I love the handle) said. Go post in Big Game. I have stainless 375 H&H in win-70 classic and a matching custom 30-06. So does JJHACK the westerm editor of Bear Hunting Magazine who posts there also. Many of us have win-70 stainless rifles but not many in 7mmstw. I recently sold my weatherby 30-378.<P>What deer are you wanting to hunt with the 7mmSTW? I can put put in touch with a buddy that had one made on a rem-700 action ?? You can hear his thoughts on the round and ours on the win-70 stainless? (grin)<P>Glad to help. Give me shout.<P>Tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
S
S
I had a Win Model 70 Classic chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Great shooting gun. My wife to be purchased a beautiful Browning for me chambered in the same round. I am having the Winchester rebarreled to 257 Weatherby Mag by Pac-Nor, can't wait to get it back.

J
J
I have two - one is in 22-250 and the other is a 338. Both wear Leupold scopes and are very accurate, especially the 338 as it has a BOSS. I had both triggers done professionally, by the way.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rlb_deerhunter,<P> I don't have the gun you mention, but I just looked at a used one yesterday, and it was in great shape. If it was in 7mm Rem Mag instead of 7STW, I would have probably bought it. I don't handload, so I don't want to mess with a 7STW. If you are interested, I can get you a number to where you can contact them about it.<P>Hudge

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hudge, how much did he want for the gun? I can get a new one up here for around $600. Maybe a little less. Depends on how much I can talk him down. Dealers don't really like 21 year old guys trying to talk them down though. If you would send me the info that you have on the gun. I just bought all of my reloading stuff about 4 months ago. It only cost about $250 for all the equiptment that I needed and some that I didn't. Thanks for the heads up man. Ryan

rlb-deerhunter, I have two Win-70's and I like them a lot. One is a .338 Win Mag, I put an HS Precision stock on it because I really don't like those injection molded stocks they use. I also have one in a .270, I haven't changed the stock on it because I don't use it very much, but it's a shooter, easily under an inch out of the box, I'll take that any day. I also have a 7mm STW built on a Remington action-that is a great caliber, accurate and fast. Enjoy and good shooting. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rlb,<P> I sent you an email concerning the gun a few days ago. I beleive they wanted $449 or $499 for the gun. If you are interested, I'll go back to see if they still have the gun, adn then send you info on how to get a hold of them.<P>Hudge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that I would go with the 7mm Ultra if I wanted a super 7mm. The 7mm STW may be a dying cartridge, time will tell. If it was me, I would go with the 300 Weatherby, a much more versatile cartridge that shoots just as flat.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,099
Posts18,522,287
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.