Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
John_G Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need advice/experiences from owners of the above models. I am thinking of going a bit smaller than my current 2004 F-150 and am considering those two Toyotas. The vehicle will be my main vehicle and will go on all hunting and fishing trips, as well. What say you?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like the tacoma, I had a 2006, wrecked it, bought a 2007. No buyers remorse (downsized from a F250 Diese). I love the DC, and I got it with the long box. They are pretty darn good four wheel drives overal, but the FJ would probable win for pure offroad stuff. But you can haul waaay more stuff with the double cab, and the bloody stuff goes in back. And carseats fit too.

I would buy the tacoma again when this one wears out. About 60k on it in three years.

Sean
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had to make the same decision 3 years ago. I felt the 4 door 4X4 Tacoma with a fiberglass shell on the back was far more versatile. And less expensive. I work with 2 people who own FJ Cruisers and have ridden in them. They are nice in their own way, but after nearly 3 years I have no second thoughts that I made the right decision.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the Tacoma. I had a '99 regular cab and an '04 extra cab. In the 8 years of owning them only had to replace one O2 sensor and it was covered under warranty. The Tacoma, though longer in wheelbase, in my experience is every bit as versatile off road as the FJ Cruiser unless you are getting into rock crawling and such.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Tacoma with a topper.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

John_G Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Tacoma with a topper.

because...?

Last edited by John_G; 05/31/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John_G
Tacoma with a topper.

because...?

.... you can put stuff under it.

Offers more versatility.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't owned a Toyota, but I've had both pickups and SUV's of various types. I MUCH prefer a pickup with a topper. If you have to put a gas can in the back of your SUV on a hot day, you'll soon know why. Or a bloody corpse at the end of a hunting trip. Or a load of gravel.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Many simply don't like the looks of a pickup with a top on them, but it makes for a very versatile rig. My truck is used mostly as a hunting rig rather than a hauling rig. Most smaller trucks will be used the same and I have lots of lockable dry storage for hunting/camping gear.

I can take it off in 10 minutes if I want, but if I need to haul something that won't fit inside that is what my 10' trailer is for. It's easier to get firewood and heavy loads on the trailer with the ramp anyway.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by John_G
Tacoma with a topper.

because...?

Because they're as off road worthy as an FJ, but you can put stinky, dirty, stuff you can't/don't want to put in the back of an FJ.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FJs are stout as hell. I have one and really like it and the driver compartment seems to have more room than my friends Tacoma. Only draw back I see with the FJ is if you need to haul a bunch of gear the FJ can get tight. I get by, but at times I wish for a little more carry capacity. Although when you fold down the back seats I usually have more than enough.

For a long haul trip I would prefer a full size especially if three people are involved.

I could live with either. Depends upon your individual needs.

Last edited by battue; 06/02/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've been debating this same thing FJ vs. Tacoma. I've always owned a truck and thats my big worry. How will I haul the occasional "dirty" stuff. Dirt, yard waste, animals, general cargo. I guess I could get a trailer for the FJ haul with it.
I don't haul a lot, but have the truck is handy.

Anyone go from pick up to SUV? Any pluses or minuses?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had always had a full size truck. When I had kids I went to an extended cab full size so the kids could ride. After they got bigger even that was not big enough, especially when their friends were involved.

Traded the truck for a Tahoe. It was a good enough road vehicle, but suffered off road and I could never get used to the problems of hauling trash etc. in it. I went back to a full size double cab and found the combination with a topper about perfect for my needs. My kids are grown and out of the house now so I downsized to the double cab Toyota 3 years ago. It is about perfect for me, my wife and the grand kids.

I really like the FJ. It is just not versatile enough for my needs.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Any idea why Toyota dropped "stick" operated 4wd in the Tacoma but kept it in the FJ? I think thats the main reason I have held off on a Tacoma. Granted there are millions running the roads so it must be a fine system. I'm such a traditionalist! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since you plan to use it as a hunting/fishing vehicle as well as DD go Tacoma.

220 Swift still king.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My company had an FJ, and if you are a tall guy, the sight lines (particularly looking up at signal lights) are ridiculous.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can never go wrong with having the utility and load carrying ability of a pick-up in your driveway.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm on my 2nd Taco - TRD (2000 & 2006) and will some day have a 3rd. Neither one have ever failed to get me into where I wanted to go and back out. I have no experience with the FJ's so can't comment there. I just love my Taco!!

Bob

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I haven't owned a Toyota, but I've had both pickups and SUV's of various types. I MUCH prefer a pickup with a topper. If you have to put a gas can in the back of your SUV on a hot day, you'll soon know why. Or a bloody corpse at the end of a hunting trip. Or a load of gravel.

Friend has an FJ and uses one of the receiver hitch type baskets (with sides and that folds up and pins in place) for dirty/smelly stuff and the roof rack for the rest with that stuff put in Tex-Sport bags and lashed down. Real nice setup. He put a 3" lift and bigger tires on it and it has the appearance of a bullfrog with an attitude.

His rear basket has a hefty 2" square tubing main support that he plugs another receiver hitch into for pulling his smallish sailboat. Spends considerable time on lakes Powell and Mead. Whole rig is well thought out and neat. Once home, all of the stuff comes off and is stored away.

I like both choices especially the Taco with a easily removable cap and painted to match the truck.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by KDK
My company had an FJ, and if you are a tall guy, the sight lines (particularly looking up at signal lights) are ridiculous.

I've found it no better in a Taco. And you are right.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,520
Posts18,491,029
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.