Print Thread
Hop To
T
turtle Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I am going to the blackhills in south dakota in july, I have been practicing my technique and I can cast pretty good for 30ft or so(Bluegills on poppers).
But I am clueless about what to use,I will be on the bank of lakes mainly, If someone could help me with what to use: dry flies,wet flies,streamers,poppers,nymphs and some of the names of the flies. I have been using 7wt with a 4x.
I know this is pretty basic to everyone,but not to me,THANKS for any info.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, you need to contact a flyshop and find out what's hot when you go. There are old standbys, like the BWO, the PMD, and the Adams, various caddis patterns, and stremers like Wolley Buggers, and Hares Ear nymphs.

But it's very regional and seasonal. Even the weather can affect the hatch. But I wouldn't go anywhere without the above.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That time of year I wouldn't be caught without plenty of terrestrials in my box.....hoppers, ants etc.

I would strongly suggest a float tube if you are fishing small lakes....get a sinking line that has the characteristics you need for the depth of water you'll be fishing, tie on a wooly bugger/leech pattern that the locals use and drop a small nymph behind it 18" or so.....cast it out, let it sink and twitch/slow strip it back.....oh yeah....then HOLD ON, I've caught some of the biggest fish of my life like that.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like the Hopper/dropper combo, usually anything on top with a bead head pheasant tail dropper. Kind of like fishing with a bobber.

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Depending on when in July you are going, it might be a early for hoppers. I would have some ants and bettles and then drop a small nymph (size 16) below and twitch it back it. Also, a wollybugger wouldn't be a bad idea. I have fished the Black Hills somewhat. If you need specific ideas pm me with when and what part of the Hills you are staying. If all else fails, there is always Trout Haven. wink

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Foam Hopper and bead head pheasant tail dropper for streams. The same foam hopper with a bead head midge dropper for lakes and ponds. Some wooly buggers with some lead shot would be a good idea. Attractor, May fly and caddis dry flies would be a good idea as well. A Griffith's Gnat would be a good dry flies for lakes and ponds as well.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wooly buggers "the old stand by"! +1

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.