Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think there is a growing trend in the safari industry to cost shift staff wages by raising the expectated amount of staff tips. I tip the trackers personally since what they do is so important but otherwise let the PH be the distribution man as he will know the camp hierarchy better than you. On my second day of my first trip to Tanzania, I was approached at cocktails by my driver who was being replaced for a tip for one days driving. I thanked him for his service and told him that he could get his portion from the PH at my safaris conclusion. That was intrusive and awkward. USD are fine.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
cash to me is the preferred tip, I also tip in rands, especially camp staff

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ask ones guide or PH. In some parts of the world, what might be a reasonable tip to us, sums up to a month or more in wages.

1Minute
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Here's a follow-up question that came to mind as I was reading through this thread: Should you postpone (or even cancel) a safari in Africa if you cannot provide the expected tip amount? I realize that the tip total will vary greatly depending on what kind of hunt you book (and location). I certainly do not believe that a ranch-type hunt in RSA or Namibia warrants the same amount of gratuity as a 2-3 week DG hunt in a large government concession in, say, Tanzania or Zimbabwe; or even some of the specialized PG hunts - Bongo, Mt. Nyala, Lord Derby Eland. From hearing others experiences on this (very subjective) topic, having to pony up an additional $500 - $1,000+ could mean, to some, not going for another year or more.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't be afraid to talk to your PH about it. I go back to my guidelines above about tipping the PH.

When you go, make sure you've got the budget, but don't over think it either. It is more important to go. As I point out earlier, I've had to get my PH a tip Ex Post Facto twice now, so as long as you're a stand up guy and take care of those that work hard for you, you can be creative.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm leaving for Namibia in exactly 5 weeks. For 10 days, I fully expect to tip $500 to the PH. I don't care who you are, thats a helluva tip. Keep in mind the word TIP. At some point it gets ridiculous.

That's also about what I tipped 2 years ago on a B&C goat for the same length of time, with hell and gone more physical exertion on the part of my guide/outfitter. The only difference was, since this was the outfitter, he was also paid a fair wage.

Keep in mind the kind of labor you must perform, either mental or physical, for the same kind of money. It becomes pretty easy after that. Hold your head up. If you're an honest guy, it will be OK.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One of the best things you can do for your PH and staff is to NOT be a PITA client...hunt hard, listen to what they say, don't whine,follow directions...and remember...it is a HUNT...if something goes wrong and that one trophy gets away....so what??

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yep, I'm with you on that. If I'm hunting, I fully intend on hunting. That means working hard to kill and animal and pitching in to get the job done. I've been priviledged to drop off in the middle of no-where with a single guide and a pile of gear. It takes both men full-time to hunt and live for 2 weeks.

My point, I guess, is that as Hatari says, is to not over think it. Be fair and be willing to pay, but don't go broke over it either. If you can afford more, fine. But, for guys that save for 2 and 3 years at a time like me, I'm not going to sacrifice the price of a kudu over it either. I'd sure rather see my dad grinning over another critter than lay out an extra $500 to $1000, when, all other things being equal, I'm working hard and giving a guide a fair tip.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by hatari
It is more important to go.

This simple sentence says it all, to me. It should be the maxim for anyone who has hunted Africa already and is looking to return, as well as for the person who is considering going for the first time.

I'm not saying you should be a tight-wad or stiff but worrying about ruffling feathers over the amount you choose to leave as a tip should never enter into equation, IMO.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Originally Posted by hatari
It is more important to go.

This simple sentence says it all, to me. It should be the maxim for anyone who has hunted Africa already and is looking to return, as well as for the person who is considering going for the first time.

I'm not saying you should be a tight-wad or stiff but worrying about ruffling feathers over the amount you choose to leave as a tip should never enter into equation, IMO.

Well said. That is finally what I've decided. I can leave a PH $500 worth of tips and, perhaps have a bit extra to shoot another game animal, or I can leave more and not. Its nice to finally free your mind of what you're willing to spend and act accordingly.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am plagued with having been a guide (ducks) when I was working my way through college back in the seventies. Hunted every day of the season every year and I remember so clearly how much those tips meant to me. As a result, I tend to be as generous as I can. Those of you who have been around small businesses can do the math for yourselves and see just how thin the profit margins are for your PH. $100 bucks a day seems pretty reasonable to me. That's a grand for a ten day hunt and $1500 for two weeks. I figure another $200 or so for the camp staff.

Gifts are a nice thing, but only if they are additive to the tip. Like most operations, its margin that keeps them afloat. I am not sure what I would do if I ever hunted with a jerk. One reason I use a reputable booking agent (Atcheson), is to reduce that likelihood. Nancy and I will be hunting with folks whom we consider friends next summer, and we'll bring gifts for them. But I'll also tip him at the end of the hunt.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a different opinion than some previous posters. Don't go if you don't have the money.

If you're worried that the amount of money you could afford to leave as a tip will ruffle feathers, you can't afford the trip.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 06/10/10.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm not worried. I'm fairly sure some of these other posters probably aren't either. I just think this tipping thing gets completely out of hand. If you or Joe want to hand your PH upwards of $100 per day, its no skin off my nose. Glad you are willing and able. I think its too much.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
I'm not worried. I'm fairly sure some of these other posters probably aren't either. I just think this tipping thing gets completely out of hand. If you or Joe want to hand your PH upwards of $100 per day, its no skin off my nose. Glad you are willing and able. I think its too much.
I agree. Im going on my first 8 day safari next year and $800.00 for PH, $300.00 for staff, ect seems ridiculous to pay $1100.00+ in tips. I have always took care of my outfitting guides, but never in that much green.

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

You clearly missed my point. If in your budget you need to allocate tip money for an extra trophy fee, or vice versa, you can't afford the trip. Drop the additional trophy fee (or delay a year, save some more, cut the beer budget for a while, brown bag for lunch...) so you have enough for an approprate tip, whatever you decide that ought to be. But, it will work out better in the long run not to reach. And I would be willing to bet that at the end of your hunt, if it is as successful and as great an experience as it is for most, that you will be re-thinking your tip allocation.

For what its worth, I use $100/day for the PH as a baseline for wilderness dangerous game hunting. I have always departed upward from the baseline becuase I have always felt that the PH did all that was expected and a lot more than was expected. I am unfamiliar with ranch plains game hunting, but I would guess offhand that $100/day was "generous."

JPK

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I went on my only Africa trip I was strongly suggested to give the staff tips to the PH because if I gave them rands directly they would disappear for a week while celebrating. Sounds like some construction workers I know.

I gave my PH $200 plus a $75 surefire flashlight and gave another $150 for the staff, plus $100 for the cook. That is the way they preferred it. I am sure my PH has recieved bigger tips, and he surely deserved one, but I am not made of money. I think he was more appreciative that I could actually stay quiet and not complain about anything than he was concerned about a small tip.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JPK

You clearly missed my point. If in your budget you need to allocate tip money for an extra trophy fee, or vice versa, you can't afford the trip. Drop the additional trophy fee (or delay a year, save some more, cut the beer budget for a while, brown bag for lunch...) so you have enough for an approprate tip, whatever you decide that ought to be. But, it will work out better in the long run not to reach. And I would be willing to bet that at the end of your hunt, if it is as successful and as great an experience as it is for most, that you will be re-thinking your tip allocation.

For what its worth, I use $100/day for the PH as a baseline for wilderness dangerous game hunting. I have always departed upward from the baseline becuase I have always felt that the PH did all that was expected and a lot more than was expected. I am unfamiliar with ranch plains game hunting, but I would guess offhand that $100/day was "generous."

JPK

I will aplogize ahead of time if I come off a bit too strong. I suppose its because I think we've sometimes lost sight of the value of money. . .

And you clearly missed that I'm worried about the opinions of others, particularly when they are condescending. I am fully willing to tip what is appropriate and will allocate as such. I don't need the advice of a scold that I need to cut back on beer or brown bag things (funny, that's how I do things now--except a 12 pack of Steelhead IPA lasts a month). I've been on many big game hunts--this is my first trip to Africa, but damn sure not my first rodeo. I still think $50 to $75 a day is decent money for a GRATUITY. Sure beats what my son makes in tips during the summer teaching folks to shoot clays or wait tables. He's also guided a few KY elk hunters too.

Again, what I think some folks really misunderstand is the value of a dollar. I doubt you should ever expect to get rich by working for an outfit while being a PH. The same is true of being a server in a fine restaurant. I am truly mystified as to why once upon a time, 15% was considered a good tip and how that has morphed to 20%. The cost of living has increased, but the cost of a meal has concommitantly kept pace. So, at some point, you need to take your own fate into your hands.

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 06/10/10.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
When I went on my only Africa trip I was strongly suggested to give the staff tips to the PH because if I gave them rands directly they would disappear for a week while celebrating. Sounds like some construction workers I know.

I gave my PH $200 plus a $75 surefire flashlight and gave another $150 for the staff, plus $100 for the cook. That is the way they preferred it. I am sure my PH has recieved bigger tips, and he surely deserved one, but I am not made of money. I think he was more appreciative that I could actually stay quiet and not complain about anything than he was concerned about a small tip.

At least you went before you were too old or sick. I really think you should base your tips on what you can afford without being a complete skin flint. Sounds like that is precisely what you did.

On the other hand, when folks hand out money like it was flowing from a fountain (as some are so fortunate to do--good for them, but it should not be, a fait accompli for all), it more or less changes the expectations of the public at large. So, while hunting has never been cheap, it becomes something that for many is now relegated to what you can do only after you are old or infirm.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by slg888
I agree. Im going on my first 8 day safari next year and $800.00 for PH, $300.00 for staff, ect seems ridiculous to pay $1100.00+ in tips. I have always took care of my outfitting guides, but never in that much green.

That is precisely where I've landed. If somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 to $1000 for PH and staff isn't enough, then something is amiss.

I've traveled Europe on numerous occasions. I'll never forget a long cab ride from Genoa to St. Margherita Ligure. I tried to tip my driver, but he absolutely wouldn't hear of it. He was paid to drive me. There are many things I don't admire about the Europeans, but I think they have this one right.

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JPK

JPK

Deleted...
And you clearly missed that I'm worried about the opinions of others, particularly when they are condescending. I am fully willing to tip what is appropriate and will allocate as such. I don't need the advice of a scold that I need to cut back on beer or brown bag things (funny, that's how I do things now--except a 12 pack of Steelhead IPA lasts a month). I've been on many big game hunts--this is my first trip to Africa, but damn sure not my first rodeo.
...Deleted

Ok, so I'm a condescending scold and you're a friggin' expert.

How many times you been to Africa? Oh, thats right, none.

I'm sure that your hunt in Africa will be just like those rodeos, eh? Oh wait, your from Kentucky. confused

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,486
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.