-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took a book bag and a large wheeled case on my last trip. Everything that I needed fit in the book bag, but you can't carry on ammo and I will not check camera gear or binos. I filled the wheeled bag with t-shirts and other gifts for the PH and staff. You can then bring home any trinkets in the empty bag.

Who is John Galt?
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
Well, a hitch in the preparation. I have, on more than one occasion, waxed poetically to the virtues of the Leupold QR Sako bases (these bases are very similiar to the Optilock bases, except they are streamlined and lighter). Well, my .375 groups were going all over the place this afternoon. Since I bragged on it, I was ready to blame my 1992 2.8X8 Leupold. I was in the process of disassembly and noticed the front base was loose. Turns out the plate that takes up against the dovetail broke!

So, I'll put a set of Optilocks on and try it again with the 2.5X8. Since the Optilocks weigh about a pound, I figure they should hold up a bit better against the recoil of the .375.

I had mentioned I'd post pics of weapons and optics tonight, but I'll wait until I have it all back together again.
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
An update. Placed the Optilocks on the .375 and shot a .75" group and a 0.5" group (3 shots-100 yds) with my bear load (79gr H4350 300gr Hornady RN) using the old 2.5X8 Leupold. I used this because I know and trust it. We'll spin up the TSX's and RL15 tomorrow.

Leupold sent me a new, complete set of mounts. I'll carry these as backups, but won't put them on my .375. So far, they've been bullet proof on a well-traveled 300 Wby, but, since I have the Optilocks, I'd as soon trust them on a hard kicking gun.

One thing is for certain, the Leupold QR Sako mounts are cast, then machined into a stream-lined shape. They would likely be fine for most applications, but not all.

I own 2 sets of Optilocks that I bought in the 80's and early 90's. These were Stoeger imports, and, once upon a time, well-supported. The only issue, of course, with Optilocks are the inevitable expense associated with them when you break a plastic insert or ruin a screw head. Since Berretta cut the US suppliers out of the picture, and, Berretta doesn't support them worth a hoot, be prepared to pay $50 or more for replacement parts. Still, in spite of Berretta (and, I do believe they are a spiteful outfit), overall, its worth the weight and expense of the Optilocks.

Anyway, I should have all my bases covered when I leave. I do appreciate Leupold's level of service.

PS, I mentioned in the quoted post, I'd spin up the TSX's. In my 20" barreled Sako, with 73.5gr RL15, they run 2550 fps and, on average over 5 groups of three (15 shots), run 1.25" @ 100 yards. Should work for the bigger African stuff.

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 06/09/10.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
sounds like you are going to Namibia based upon the game list and I think you have the right game for the country. I did a similar hunt a few years ago, found that 1 rifle .375 H&H with 270 grains Barnes X loaded to about 2500 fps was perfect.

As for knives, flashlights, agree with all comments above, instead of the knives, cash and cigarettes are greatly appreciated, probably more so than knives.

have fun

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
After talking to the outfitter, its cash preferred. So, that's what I'll do. Hadn't thought about cigarettes, though. I bet that would be appreciated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I, too, just returned (May 29th) and will support the advice given here. 2 changes of clothes would have been plenty, but I took three. Take a GOOD flashlight, as if you need it, you will want the brightest one you can get.
The 375 and loads are very similar to my winchester, 2.5-8x Leupy with 270 grain Barnes TSX handloads,and I could not have been happier.
Be ready to hunt, as the bush in SA was very thick and visibility was very tough. Take shoes tat are very quiet to walk in, as plainsgame can hear better than the FBI on a stakeout.
Enjoy your trip, treat your PH well, and take lots of pictures!

Best of luck!

Matt

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I left a carton of smokes with the outfitter to give to his trackers/skinners. Also gave my outfitter a couple of rolls of duct tape and a box of 375 H&H Swift A-Frames. I didn't know if he had a 375 or not but figured he could use them for trade bait. Turned out one of his rental rifles was a 375 H&H. Dad also brought a couple bags of mixed chocolates to give our PH. He was munching on those all week.

This was in addition to the cash tip I left.

And I'll second Ingwe on bringing some Ranch dressing if you can.

Last edited by Heeler; 06/12/10.

He went over yonder way
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Does the ammo go in a separate bag than the guns, like in the duffel with clothing? Haven't flown with a rifle since the mid 80's.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The ammo has to go in a locked box and NOT in the same case as the rifle. There is a weight limit of 5kg for ammo IIRC. Thinking of putting 25 rounds in my luggage and 25 in my wife's. Maybe one will make it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,041
Posts18,482,043
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.