Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like liver. One out of a good young whitetail is excellent eating. We fry them up with onions and make gravy and biscuits. Good!

μολὼν λαβέ
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Ever have a really good P�t� de foie gras? Oh man. Delicious.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I like liver and venison liver is my favorite. Here's how I cook it:

Fry a pound of bacon until crisp.

Remove the bacon from the skillet.

Flour and season the liver slices and brown in the bacon grease. When the liver is browned, remove it from the grease and place it aside.

Pour one cup of white wine into the skillet with all the bacon grease and drippings. Heat this to simmering and loosen all the pan drippings.

Saut� two yellow onions (sliced) in the wine and bacon drippings.

Now arrange the onions in the bottom of a glass baking dish, place the liver on top of the onions, crumble up the bacon on top of the liver, and pour all the liquid and pan drippings from the skillet over the top of all that.

Cover the baking dish with foil, place in a 350 degree oven and bake until the liver is done.

We did this at deer camp in a dutch oven. Lemme tell ya,it's good. Thanks PDS. Bob

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like beef liver. I don't like pork liver. I can't deal with deer liver after spending time rooting around inside the deer (not a real man). Chicken liver is not food.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
15 years ago I visited a high end Italian restaurant and my date ordered calf's liver. Imagine our surprise when it came out crisp on the outside and ...cold in the middle. The chef insisted that was the correct way to serve liver. Haven't even considered it since.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Chicken liver is not food.

laugh laugh No mincing word there!

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Otter Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Finally got a "roun-tuit" and fried up some bison liver. I've had just about every kind of liver I've come across - bison, beef, pork (domestic and wild), chicken, turkey, duck, goose, deer (whitetail) and elk - IMHO, nothing tops that from a young bison. This is a pic of what I had for supper, it came from a less than 2 year old bison bull. Usually I make smashed taters with liver, but remembered there were some Cajun boiled ones in the fridge nearing the expiration date, so I fried them instead. Still was tasty.

It ain't fancy, but it sure was good . . . nice and pink in the middle . . .
[Linked Image]

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The best liver I've ever had is pronghorn. Very mild and sweet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember as a kid in the 50's living in Maine, deer liver was regulary on the menu in our house. Buttered bread and cold liver sandwiches for school lunch and so on. I made the mistake once saying it was tough and my dad imediately said "it's tougher when there is none".

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I never really did like eating guts.

Growing up poor in the South, offal was part of the diet. I don't have to eat that crap now, and I don't.:D

Stuff Sam Don't Like cont'd:

- innards

(LOL)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Otter
Finally got a "roun-tuit" and fried up some bison liver. I've had just about every kind of liver I've come across - bison, beef, pork (domestic and wild), chicken, turkey, duck, goose, deer (whitetail) and elk - IMHO, nothing tops that from a young bison. This is a pic of what I had for supper, it came from a less than 2 year old bison bull. Usually I make smashed taters with liver, but remembered there were some Cajun boiled ones in the fridge nearing the expiration date, so I fried them instead. Still was tasty.

It ain't fancy, but it sure was good . . . nice and pink in the middle . . .
[Linked Image]
Now that's what I'm talk'in about!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've made many deer liver pate's. skin the outer membrain off, flour & fry up the liver as you normally would. Keep the inside a bit pink, slice into small chunks, add diced onion, mayo or bernaise sauce, spicy mustard, and some madiera wine. put all in a blender and process. Add either ingrediants "to taste". If the wine makes it too loose, I will add some bread crumbs to stiffen the mixture up. Put in frig. to chill. Looks like baby **it, but tastes great!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MMMM. The restaurant where I worked in college had liver and onions every Thursday night. Loved the stuff with crispy bacon and green beans with malt vinegar.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FRESH elk liver is the best... Did eat some raw woodduck liver the other nite.. was scrumptious along with the eleven Budweisers.. smile

Last edited by 721_tomahawk; 06/14/10.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (222Sako, 22kHornet, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.