Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
A tip for your ph is something they always look forward to getting ,it should be regarded as a thank you for the service if they deserve it.You decide but if you can see that he has not poured your drinks,removed your plate after the meal,gone to bed before you ,sat with the barman and not you in the evenings ,then i would rethink the 800 for the tip,i would say pay what you can afford in a tip but base it on merit,dont be pressured into giving big tips.
Toooo many old school ph's expect the big tip,but if they dont desrve it ,dont give it all to them,hold some back for a present for your wife or girlfriend ,Camp staff and tracker deserve every penny they get,good food,pressed clothes everyday,clean room ect , they definatley earn it,as for the skinner,check your capes,look for nicks and cuts ,make sure he does the lips,nose and ears correctly ,then work on 100 for the hunt.
I would advise you to enjoy your experience and dont let the tipping issue weigh heavily on your shoulders!!!

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, now that we've insulted each other, I will remind you KY is horse country. . . wink

How about we back up a bit here? While I've freely admitted I've never been, I have friends that have been numerous times (two were there last year) and I've been on some pretty nice NA hunts, the last of which was more expensive by far than what I'm spending on this trip. In all these cases, the level of tipping the guide did not approach what some have suggested here.

It would also seem based upon all these responses is that there is a wide variety of opinion about how much. I suppose we'll just simply disagree as to how much is enough.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The problem with these tipping threads is it's often apples and oranges....

Now if I wanted tipping advice on Zim DG/Elephant hunts JPK's advice is about the best you could ask for(and he referenced his statements as such)

But as he also stated he has no basis to offer advice for PG ranch/SA type hunts....and I think Huntaria has it just about right for those IMO.

I have used several SA/Namibian PH's and $50/day is considered a damn good tip....

From now on I'm telling everyone I'm from Europe;cause in general those guys don't leave much if anything;and I think they got it right.Everytime someone drops a wad just primes the pump for the next guy to have to do the same.I don't mind giving some for great above and beyond service;but this has become a wages deal and that is BS.

Last edited by dinsdale; 06/11/10.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I tipped my PH $500.00 PLUS two hundred rounds of .375 H&H handloads. I thought he was going to kiss me when I gave him the ammo. There were fifty rounds of Hornaday 300 grain solids and 150 rounds of the Hornaday softs.

Terry

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
This has all been hashed out before on other threads here, but I'll go ahead and make a few comments anyway:

One PH joked that a friend of his had to give up the profession when his house filled up with baseball caps and flashlights that he'd been given as tips.

Somebody once suggested that 10% of the hunt price is a reasonable tip in TOTAL. That is, if the hunt costs $10,000, then $1000 is a good amount to distribute among everybody--PH (or guide), cook, and other camp staff.

On that basis, the most expensive hunt I've ever been on would have meant $3000 in tips. I could not afford that--but then I really couldn't afford a $30,000 hunt, either. I could only afford to go because the safari company gave me a 1/3 discount, and my employer paid for another 1/3 of the hunt. But I still gave my PH $1000 plus a new, quality binocular, and gave the camp staff $400. Everybody was happy.

Despite all the admonitions I've read to ONLY give cash, I've given many PH's optics and sometimes ammo, which they always really appreciated. Since that stuff costs WAY more over there than it does here, it's a good deal on both ends.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by drew69
A tip for your ph is something they always look forward to getting ,it should be regarded as a thank you for the service if they deserve it.You decide but if you can see that he has not poured your drinks,removed your plate after the meal,gone to bed before you ,sat with the barman and not you in the evenings ,then i would rethink the 800 for the tip,i would say pay what you can afford in a tip but base it on merit,dont be pressured into giving big tips.
Toooo many old school ph's expect the big tip,but if they dont desrve it ,dont give it all to them,hold some back for a present for your wife or girlfriend ,Camp staff and tracker deserve every penny they get,good food,pressed clothes everyday,clean room ect , they definatley earn it,as for the skinner,check your capes,look for nicks and cuts ,make sure he does the lips,nose and ears correctly ,then work on 100 for the hunt.
I would advise you to enjoy your experience and dont let the tipping issue weigh heavily on your shoulders!!!

Drew, thanks for your comments, especially the last sentence.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way back in the last century I did clean up for a couple outfitters when they had wounded bears that needed sorting out. I had a daily rate plus travel/expenses that were charged to the outfitter, and then charged back to the client. Almost without fail the clients were appreciative that they got to take home their trophy, but I seldom got any tip. I was paid to do a dangerous job, and expected nothing else.

To be very clear, this was not guiding, and I offerred nothing to the client but his dead bear. A year ago I was in Africa and the PH, tracker and camp staff went out of their way to make my safari a success. I tipped them out of the fullness of my heart, and to the best of my financial ability. The total tip was just over 10% plus harris bipod, 50 rounds of Barnes TSX 30-06(which shot sub 1/2" in his rifle) leather gloves and knee pads. I was unaware that foreign currency exchange was a problem for him as a native black man, so we went to the bank to exchange $ to rand.

There was a minor problem in that there was concern we were being held hostage, but that was soon cleared up. I wish I had more money at the time, but six months later we sent a care pacage including an other monetary gift for him. I felt better after that. Nothing was implied that I needed to tip, but he was happy with the money, telling me he would use it for his kid's education.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
Well, now that we've insulted each other, I will remind you KY is horse country. . . wink

Yea sure, mint julips, Panama straw hats on the men, big floppy hats on the women, crsted blazers and rep ties, dresses and diamonds and pearls. Betting at the window, horses in the paddocks. Horn to call the thoughroughbreds to the gates.

No bull, that ain't a rodeo.

JPK

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
boys boys
ain't no need to sling mud around here...we're all supposed to be adults...if you have differences of opinion, so what? we ALL have our own opinions about this...if you want to leave a big $$$ tip...good on ya...if you don't or can't, good on ya ...it is a tip....not wages...and a tip is for service over and above what is paid for..ok...go play nice....jmho

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JPK

Yea sure, mint julips, Panama straw hats on the men, big floppy hats on the women, crsted blazers and rep ties, dresses and diamonds and pearls. Betting at the window, horses in the paddocks. Horn to call the thoughroughbreds to the gates.

JPK

There are a number of calf roping and bronc busting champs all over the state. I'd be more than willing to show my scars from being stepped on and thrown and that's just from breaking my own horses.

And, before you want to dis the thoroughbreds, why don't you to talk to any horseman and see what it takes to even get a stallion ready to ride. Big difference between this and a gelding. Go visit a paddock and actually talk to a trainer. You might learn something.

Having said that, in the original post, it was a figure of speech. Maybe you've missed it, or you just decided to be combative.

Still and all, pay whatever you want. From the sounds of it, you can afford your own horse at the derby. Good for you and good luck.

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 06/11/10.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by fgold767
boys boys
ain't no need to sling mud around here...we're all supposed to be adults...if you have differences of opinion, so what? we ALL have our own opinions about this...if you want to leave a big $$$ tip...good on ya...if you don't or can't, good on ya ...it is a tip....not wages...and a tip is for service over and above what is paid for..ok...go play nice....jmho

I will freely admit that I didn't help matters here. His post rubbed me the wrong way and that is my fault for not just letting it slide. Its the internet, afterall.

Your comment on a tip is not a wage is spot-on and I'm in total agreement.

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JPK

JPK

There are a number of calf roping and bronc busting champs all over the state. I'd be more than willing to show my scars from being stepped on and thrown and that's just from breaking my own horses.

And, before you want to dis the thoroughbreds, why don't you to talk to any horseman and see what it takes to even get a stallion ready to ride. Big difference between this and a gelding. Go visit a paddock and actually talk to a trainer. You might learn something.

Having said that, in the original post, it was a figure of speech. Maybe you've missed it, or you just decided to be combative.

Still and all, pay whatever you want. From the sounds of it, you can afford your own horse at the derby. Good for you and good luck.

Yup, there you go again, the friggin' armchair expert, 'specially the expert on matters about which you can know nothing.

Doubt I'd learn much from another trip to the paddock, or another discussion with a trainer. My brother owns, breeds, trains and races thoughoughbreds. Though for steeple chase, timber, point to point and hunt titles and rarely flat races. Ever heard of the Gold Cup? In case you need the help, and it sure seems you do, no breeding geldings.

BTW, Pimlico, home of the Preakness Stakes, second leg of the Tripple Crown, is just down the road here.

I have spent a bit of time in the beautiful, genteel Kentucky horse and blue grass country, participated in the Keenland and other sales, watched some races. No bull, it ain't rodeo country. And in case you need help again, and it seems you do, they have roping contests and bronc busting in Madison Square Garden.

Hard to judge a horse's ass from a distance, but you sure like to spout off on matters about about which you have not a clue. Some combination of posseur, blowhard, skinflint, fourflusher. Maybe the full house.

JPK

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No armchair expert here. Just a common guy that's lived what I've said. Many more guys have done more with horses. Won't argue that.

I find it odd that you are so completely bent out of shape. Hiding something?

But, since you decided to resort to ad hominem attacks, I suppose that speaks volumes about what you say. Did your PH shoot all your elephants? Cuts both ways.

Anyway, go ahead and continue to type in anger. I'm done. Its adding nothing at this point.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bottom line- tip what you want. I assume your daily rate is going to be around $350- so $50/ day tip is more than fair. JPK was referring to elephant/buffalo hunts where the daily rate averages $1k plus, so $100/day is not too much.

Who is John Galt?
J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Deleted...

And you clearly missed that I'm worried about the opinions of others, particularly when they are condescending. I am fully willing to tip what is appropriate and will allocate as such. I don't need the advice of a scold that I need to cut back on beer or brown bag things (funny, that's how I do things now--except a 12 pack of Steelhead IPA lasts a month). I've been on many big game hunts--this is my first trip to Africa, but damn sure not my first rodeo. I still think $50 to $75 a day is decent money for a GRATUITY. Sure beats what my son makes in tips during the summer teaching folks to shoot clays or wait tables. He's also guided a few KY elk hunters too.

Again, what I think some folks really misunderstand is the value of a dollar. I doubt you should ever expect to get rich by working for an outfit while being a PH. The same is true of being a server in a fine restaurant. I am truly mystified as to why once upon a time, 15% was considered a good tip and how that has morphed to 20%. The cost of living has increased, but the cost of a meal has concommitantly kept pace. So, at some point, you need to take your own fate into your hands.

Possuer, this is your post from a couple of pages ago. I didn't begin any add hominem attacks, you did. Seems too that you are awfully soft, posseur, you can dish out (or at least try to), but you can't take.

Yes, you are the armchair expert personified. Even in your post quoted above, mostly geared to ad hominem attack, you manage to pontificate about tips and tips in Africa in particular, though I deleted some of the worst of it for brevity.

Here is your most recent post, quoted in full:
"No armchair expert here. Just a common guy that's lived what I've said. Many more guys have done more with horses. Won't argue that.

I find it odd that you are so completely bent out of shape. Hiding something?

But, since you decided to resort to ad hominem attacks, I suppose that speaks volumes about what you say. Did your PH shoot all your elephants? Cuts both ways.

Anyway, go ahead and continue to type in anger. I'm done. Its adding nothing at this point."

Now, let's review:
Distancing yourself from being the friggin' arm chair expert on horses. But wait, you were the friggin' expert on thouroughbreds just a couple of posts ago, telling me to go see a paddock and talk to a trainer. Telling me about the difference between a gelding and a stallion. Now what, just admitting you're the possuer.

You err, I'm not bent out of shape, I am just enjoying exposing a horse's ass, a possuer, a blowhard, a skinflint, a fourflusher and the epitome of an armchair expert.

On the ad hominem attackes, refer back to your own post from page four, quoted above, to find the first ad hominem attack. Like I wrote above, you are awfully soft, trying to dish out what you cannot take. Yea, I suppose responding to ad hominem attacks speaks volumes about what I say, mostly what I write is merely pointing out that you know not a thing about what you post, re Africa, re horses, re just about anything on this thread.

I've shot a bunch of elephants. I have missed some brainshots and the PH has had to shoot several of the elephants on which I missed the brainshot. How 'bout you? In your distinguished elephant hunting career, missed any brainshots? Oops, thats right you haven't been elephant hunting, haven't been to Africa either ... Been to the zoo to see an African elephant?

You err again, I am not typing in anger, only in entertainment. Its fun exposing a horse's ass, an armchair expert, a possuer, a blowhard, a fourflusher, a skinflint.

It well and good that you are done, you added nothing, weighing in with all of your experience in Africa and all.

Better stick to rodeo.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 06/13/10.
B
btb375 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks to all who responded.
There is a wealth of info here at the fire.
Much appreciated.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
YOU KIDS FIGHT NICE - NO BITING BELOW THE BELT!

Terry

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A tip is a gift, the hunter is the deciding factor not the PH..

I have that agreement with all my Hunting concessions. They charge you for the hunt and you pay what they ask, therefore if they want more money they can up their prices. Again, a tip is a gift, and some folks have more money than others, so one guy might tip ten grand and the next guy $200. both are equally accepted and appreciated and all my PHs are good with that, they have no problem with it..Many African hunters today have to beg, borrow and steal to go hunting, they simply cannot tip large amounts of money.

I don't know the policy of others but this is ours and nothing about the hunt changes, all men are equal in a hunting camp, regardless of his financial worth.

I get asked this question all the time and I just tell folks you give what you can or feel like you need to, and a tip is not even required btw. Some consideration may be given to the quality of the hunt of course but that again is up to the client.

I do suggest that a client give all the tip money to the PH as he knows the pecking order of the staff, and can distribute it properly.. If you give the wash lady a bigger tip than your tracker then you create pandamoniam in the camp! smile smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here was our situation. I booked with the owner of the safari company. He owned and operated the ranch that we were hunting on. He also had hunting rights on several other ranches. He employed 2 PHS. There was 4 of us in camp. We hunted 2 on 1.
As the hunt went on, I could see how this owner, (white), treated the PHS (black). Supposedly, our PH was the first black PH in Namibia.
Over the course of 10 days, I felt like I got to know our PH pretty well. Well enough to ask him who I should tip. His exact words were this. " You can give it to the owner if you you would like, but we will only see maybe 20% of it." After seeing how this guy treated his staff, along with the PHs, I tipped each and every person myself. I didnt give him a penny. It pissed him off, but I could care less. Together we did tip our PH alot. But I thought he was worth it.

I have been on the receiving end of a good hunt, with no tip. Being in the outfitting business. Many guides and outfitters have come to expect big tips, and many get pissed when they dont get one. As said before, a tip is a gift, give what you can or want. Even though it may have been a great hunt, the hunter may not be able to tip as much, as daddy deep pockets did on the last hunt.

Toby Joe

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think the whole tipping thing has gotten way out of hand. A vendor or outfitter needs to charge what he needs to pay his help and make his living. Period. Tips are extras and should not be mandatory and especially not structured in nature!

As a guide, I get paid $250-$300/day. If I got a $100 tip per day, that would be 30%-45% gratuity- a little steep I would think. Now it is always nice when you have a well-heeled client to get a big tip when you have taken and exceptional animal or gone above and beyond, but a lot of guys can't afford that and wouldn't be able to hunt.

I don't like to provide tips for anyone that I don't have direct constant contact with. I am not going to tip the bush pilot because he didn't crash on the landing. I am not going to tip the cook because he didn't burn my grits. People don't guide and outfit to become rich and hunters shouldn't be beholden to them if they have some misguided quest to become such.

This tip thing is the biggest turn-off for guided hunts for me. Some stuff can't really be done un-guided so you are stuck with it to some degree.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,090 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,190
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.