Print Thread
Hop To
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R

Got sick of watching the tube late yesterday and fired up the CD player - thumbed through a couple of the cataloged listings (it holds 400 discs) and happened upon an old Merle Haggard choice... Listened to it for a while and thought how the words are still eerily true in today's USA..

So I wrote 'em out for y'all to peruse and consider..

"I wish a buck was still silver - back when the country was strong. Back before Elvis - before the Viet Nam war came along. Before the Beatles and "Yesterday" - when a man could still work and still would.

Is the best of the free life behind us now? Are the good times really over for good?

Are we rolling downhill like a snowball headed for Hell? With no kind of chance for the flag or the Liberty Bell. I wish a Ford and a Chevy would still last ten years, like they should.
Is the best of the free life behind us now? Are the good times really over for good.

I wish Coke was still cola and the joint a bad place to be. It was back before Nixon lied to us all on TV. Before microwave ovens when a girl could still cook and still would.

Is the best of the free life behind us now? Are the good times really over for good.

Are we rolling downhill like a snowball headed for Hell? With no kind of chance for the flag or the Liberty Bell. I wish a Ford and a Chevy would still last ten years, like they should.

Stop rollin' downhill like a snowball headed for Hell. Stand up for the flag and let's all ring the Liberty Lell. Make a Ford and a Chevy last ten years like they should. The best of the free life is still yet to come and the good times ain't over for good..."

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
"...then we'll all be drinkin' that free bubble-up & eatin' that Rainbow Stew."

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Merle, there's another voice that I miss.

The new style of country is ok - just barley - but doesn't hold a candle to the likes of yesteryears performers.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck

"I wish a buck was still silver ...

I wish Coke was still cola and the joint a bad place to be. It was back before Nixon lied to us all on TV. Before microwave ovens when a girl could still cook and chop wood.

Stop rollin' downhill like a snowball headed for Hell. Stand up for the flag and let's all ring the Liberty Lell. Make a Ford and a Chevy last ten years like they should. The best of the free life is still yet to come and the good times ain't over for good..."

There, I fixed it for you. grin No, really I did, kinda. The very first concert I ever went to Merle Haggard was performing. Of course he belted this one out and he sang it "chop wood" instead of "still would". Needless to say, it was very well received by the crowd.

Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The new stuff I have been seeing Merle do with Jewel sure is nice.

Merle's son, Marty was here in Deer Park, Tx a couple of weeks ago.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From the offical Merle Haggard website.

Haggard writes song in honor of Obama

Country legend and Oildale favorite son Merle Haggard was so moved by the historic events unfolding in Washington this week that he wrote a song praising President Barack Obama.

Haggard penned �Hopes Are High� late Sunday night and was recording it Tuesday, according to publicist Tresa Redburn.

Haggard made headlines in 2007 when he wrote a song for Hillary Clinton, Obama�s rival among Democrats for the party�s nomination for president. But he told Billboard.com that he wasn�t trying to stir any pots with the song. �I�m just reacting to the news,� he was quoted as saying.

How's that hope working out for you Mr. Haggard?

Hope�s are High
Hope�s are high, faith is strong
If we all try we can get along
Cause there�s a new day and a brighter day
with a new song to sing along
And there�s Sunshine and blue sky
And Hope�s are high
There�s a blue bird atop a tree
singing loud for you and me
he�s got a new note and a brighter note
That we should sing and let ring
cause there�s sunshine and blue sky
and hope�s are high
We�ve got bad times behind us
and the good times up ahead
bet your money on the promise land
and the good things that he said
We got a new style with a sincere smile
and a new song to sing along
and we got sunshine and a new guy
and hope�s are high
Hope�s are high
We�ve got bad times behind us
and now we�ve got good times up ahead

Put your money on America
and the good things that He said
Cause there�s a new day and a brighter day
and a new song to sing along
And there�s sunshine and blue sky
and Hope�s are high

Last edited by NathanL; 06/13/10.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sure is appropiate for these times. IIRC wasn't Merle an Obama supporter, at least initially?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mako25
Merle, there's another voice that I miss.

The new style of country is ok - just barley - but doesn't hold a candle to the likes of yesteryears performers.

I am first a fan of good Rock and Roll...late 60's early 70's, but on XM I listen to Willie's and Roadhouse. Good stuff on there and whenever I hear a Merle Haggard, I always turn it up. He is one of my favorites even though he seems to have turned a bit liberal in his later years.

Speaking of good Country music...how about Hank Snow? Miller's Cave, Wow what a great song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La-Ya2zCnaM

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Roadhouse and Willie's Place are the only two constants in my truck. Always playing lots of Merle, heck all the good stuff is on them!

Most new country sucks, Corb Lund & The Hurt'in Albertan's is great stuff though. Modern country/cowboy/rock. An interesting mix. Easy to listen to but be careful while driving, or set your cruise control!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

"Remember when the chrome was thick and Jason was in the closet?"

---Michael Savage.

Give me: Moe Bandy, Hank Sr., Patsy, Willi, Merle. and Gene, a cold beer and my chair on the deck overlooking the lake. That is exactly what I'm up for today.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Give me: Moe Bandy, Hank Sr., Patsy, Willi, Merle. and Gene, a cold beer and my chair on the deck overlooking the lake. That is exactly what I'm up for today.

Add to that T.G., Johnny, Waylon, Tom T, and Charlie........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How can anyone not include the real "Hank" as in Hank Snow. He had one hit stay at #1 for 21 weeks. Even the Beatles can't claim that record.

Snow has been elected to eight different musical Halls of Fame. He was voted Canada's country performer of the year ten times. Hank had seven number one hits, and those hits spent a total of 56 weeks in the number one slot. Even more impressively, Snow had an astounding 85 charted hits, 65 top-forty hits, and 43 top-ten hits. His releases spent an amazing 876 total weeks on the music charts.

Let's hear it for Hank!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Careful now, Hank Snow was Canadian. Can't get the patriots in an uproar! grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
God bless them, one and all.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hank snow was great- One of my all time favorites is another Canadian, Ian Tyson- He did some great song writing and had a love of horses, being free and wide open places.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,047
Posts18,482,245
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.