Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
My buddy is supposed to get a 416 built for him as a guiding tip....

He can give input....

I've never done a large caliber....

It will be SS700 action, pushing for a Mc stock... any suggestions to stock design is welcome... he is a guide and uses his 338 as a backup now... this will be the main bear backup in the future.

Particular barrel brand and odd or even grooves?

Barrel lenght, 200 yard backup gun max basically, 400 Barnes X will be the choice bullet... wants a short barrel of course but doesn't want to loose performance... thinking 20-22 if possible.

Barrel contour... its a guides backup gun.... should not be heavy.... it will be packed everywhere...on his back. No horses or such.

He was thinking of porting it... I suggested if anything a small trim brake with some thread protectors... porting doesn't offer much relief and is LOUD... with a brake.. you could take it off if its too bad.

Jewel trigger... BUT does he really want a jewel as a backup guide gun? I know what they do on target guns and hunting guns ok...

Anything I"m missing?? SS coated with extra stuff to help it in the environment against corrosion and the like... He currently uses a Rem factory SPS BDL in 338 Win mag and would like to keep that weight area.

My personal thoughts are to go to ADL for the mag... nothing to go wrong so easily as a floor plate opening or a mag falling out.

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW I'll be doing the loading for it also if that matters...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OOHHH, goodie. another imminent crf vs pf discussion!

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Look at the old Rem KS for inspiration ... those factory custom guns had it about all for lightweight portability. I'd magnaport it not looking to reduce recoil but rather reduce muzzle flip ... it'll get louder though ... but kills the 'flip' of a high pressure big bore. I'd replace the recoil lug with a larger one for its added area to combat recoil in a synthetic stock. I dont like the safety that wont lock the bolt down on the Rem700 ... it can cause embarassment at the most inconvenient time.

Last weekend I had a play with a factory Ruger Alaskan in 416Ruger ... this is a viable alternative with som emoney thrown into it to smooth it out and make it ultra reliable.
Cheers...
Con

Last edited by Con; 06/07/10.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll go along with stainless coated, ADL config, McMillan or other quality stock, magnaporting and larger recoil lug. I'd also add a Sako extractor and a barrel band front sight plus a good rugged peep sight. As far as stock design, the McMillan Remington Sporter style has very little drop to the comb and seems to direct recoil straight back as opposed to back with pronounced muzzle jump. It tamed a fairly light 300 Ultramag well for me.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jeff,
I won't try to convince your buddy to use a different action or get into the PF vs CRF debate. Obviously, he knows and likes the M700 action and is comfortable with it.

I'm sure others can give you info on the barrel contour, brands, etc. However, I would probably opt for the lightest contour available in a .416 barrel. I'd also keep it as long as practical, probably at least 22 inches. McMillan stock for sure.

Personally, I'd stay away from porting or muzzle brakes. Not worth the ear splitting sound. If he happens to be recoil sensitive, then get a brake that can be taken off in the field. He doesn't want to blow the eardrums out of his clients. Believe me, I've been that client, and it sure takes the fun out of the moment when you can't hear a thing.

I'd stay away from the Jewell triggers as well for a backup rifle. Not necessary and the .416 ain't a target rifle to pick nits with.

You don't say where he'll be hunting, but I assume AK. Therefore, I'd get the metal coated since it will help with the upkeep and free him to do other things besides tend his rifle. ADL style over BDL style would help prevent the floor plate from falling open at inopportune times. Less to rust, also.

You might think about sights as well. Is he planning on using a scope or will he leave it bare. Nice sights appropriate for the country he hunts are something that this rifle should definitely have. Myself, I'd look at the Brockman/Talley detachable base/ring setup. The Brockman sight has a pop-up peep that comes up when the scope is removed. This way, he could use his scope for most of his work, but if he had to follow up a bear in the thick stuff, he could take the scope off and have a quick peep to use.

One last thing about his bullet choice. He'll find that the 400gr TSX is a very long bullet and for that reason it is difficult to get enough powder behind it to reach 2400fps. Not saying it can't be done, but it caused me more problems than I thought it was worth. If he really wants the TSX, then I'd drop down to the 350gr bullet. It will do everything he needs it to on a bear and will give him a little flatter trajectory as well. If he really wants a 400gr bullet, the A-frame or Partition will do the trick as well.

Hope this helps.
Test

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m taking it all in. Won't be a discussion on actions as its a 700.

I can hear ya on the 350 but I"ve loaded a fair amount of 400s and never an issue speed wise.

Keep it coming.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a barrel I'd go with a 4.5 weight Scheider cut to 23" and could live with 21". No doubt I'd have it magnaported and that's a ton diff than a brake..

I've run a Jewell in one of my rifles for many moons, ran it hard and never had any issues with it when I was guiding or on my own. It'd not bother me to go with a Jewell based of my experience but I'm fairly sure I'll be in the minority. Then again I'm in the minority when it comes to someone who's actually used a Jewell hard as well.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good point "My personal thoughts are to go to ADL for the mag... nothing to go wrong so easily as a floor plate opening or a mag falling out."

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
So whats the input on the magnaporting? I know its damn loud and he mentioned that, that was the reason for me suggesting a removeable brake instead.... best of both worlds.

21 inch 4.5 weight it is.

GREAT info on the jewel... single stage what weight?

Love the barrel band front sight.... where to go for a rear ghost ring though?

Needs to be guide tough for AK weather..... IE wet and sometimes salty on top of it....

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Magnaporting is not as loud as many other porting designs and tends to push the muzzle down, which makes it "feel" like a recoil reduction.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ok, will take the word on magnaporting. Thats what he wanted in the first place. I was thinking of looking for a similar brake, closed on the bottom, that would be removable.. they may not make such....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Magnaport will also do what you want. I built a .416 Weatherby once and had them triple magna port the barrel. This involved an extra pair of slots at the side plane behind the trational 4 ports.

Personally, on a standard .416 Remington, I don't think I would have anything. But because I had several .416 Weatherby's at the same tims as the Remington, maybe it just seemed mild to me because of the step down?

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
PErsonally I don't think its needed either but I'm not the end shooter. I can shoot one off the bench just fine with a bit of lead shot in a bag on my shoulder for zeroing and testing. Other than that its not bad enough to worry about for me.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A few yrs ago, I had built what I thought to be the ultimate "guide gun". It was a 416 Rem Mag (now is a 375 H+H). Its on a SS MRC action, but if you buddy is set on the Remmy 700....that'll work too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd stay away from a Jewell trigger. I have one on a 257 Roberts, but wouldn't want one on a stopping rifle, or one that might be used in snow and ice.

My 416 Rem is not ported, and I shoot 400 Grain triple shocks and 400 grain Barnes Solids exclusively at game with it. Have him shoot it without porting it first - bet he won't need to port it.
BTW - Every 416 I've loaded for loves RL15/400G.

Reduced loads with Trail Boss are fun to shoot.

Jeff

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good info again... appreciate the trail boss data!

He is a hair touchy on recoil so we'll see.

Have you had a bad experience with a Jewel hunting weight trigger? I'd think ice could be bad for any trigger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it 416 or bust?

I'd think a 21" 375 Ruger'd make a nice package with a bit less recoil.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Pretty much that or more.. uses a 338WM, 375 would not be that much improvement and he is like me, can't stand anti gun ruger crap from years back and refuses to go ruger anything if he can avoid it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whilst I can understand the anti emotions, my only ties with Ruger is in the headstamp. 300's better 250's outta a 338 ain't no slouch, and more range on a dinged bear.

S/S 700, Brux, Classic, Loopold, 9-2 as it sits.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,885
Posts18,518,254
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.