Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you for the replies, I'm thinking discretion really was the better part of valor in this case. All those trees (cedar elm) were "shinny up" propositions at best, be sorta like climbing a utility or flag pole.

The biggest boars seem to have evidence of domestic pig genes, or maybe really big boars all look like that I dunno. This one in the pics looks to have a dished face profile and lop ears. I've seen bigger. One on a local wildlife refuge was so big the head looked small, about like a rhinocerous, with a long flat back like a domestic pig.

Hard to imagine a Glock 29 as being "dull", ten rounds of THAT sort of firepower in a Glock 19-size package?

I'm thinking I have a legitimate use for one.

Well hey, time fer another gun grin

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Birdy,
I really like the 29.
The thing is surprisingly shootable for that amount of power.
Quite accurate, also.
The only drawback I can see is the ammo costs are pretty crazy, especially for an autoloader.
I am getting set up to reload for mine, as a matter of fact.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The .454 Casull is ideal for big hogs. I used to have a lease in the Texas hill country, where we hunted for hogs frequently. My buddy and I gave up on the .44 mags- they kill hogs, but not with the authority of the Casull.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My favorite hog hunting pistol is an old IAI Automag IV Longslide in .45 WIN MAG. It rolls the smaller hogs at close range just like a bowling ball.

The Automag IV is the most accurate longrange semi-auto pistol I own. It will keep all 7 shots inside an 8" pie plate at 100 yds with my old eyes. I would love to have the 30 Carbine model.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Hard to imagine a Glock 29 as being "dull", ten rounds of THAT sort of firepower in a Glock 19-size package?

I prefer to solve the problem with blue and wood, with the occasional transgression to matte stainless. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm not familiar with the 180 grain Federal load, but I would have taken that shot with confidence with my 4" Ruger GP-100, .357 Magnum with the 180 grain Cast-Performance WFN handload that I use. I would try to take out both shoulders on a broadside shot.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That .357 will do the trick at 20 yards. Over the years I've killed dozens with a 357. Make the head shot. He ain't going anywhere! Also, shoot at the side of the head. Believe it or not, a frontal shot could deflect. You haven't lived until you unload one from the pickup and have him stand up....pissed.
P.S. Those big ones are the ones you want to give away.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Amen to that advice on avoiding the frontal head shot with a handgun. I once followed up another guy's wounded boar in thick brush. I eventually found the hog -- or rather, he found me -- and I put two quick 44 Mag rounds between his eyes.

And all it did... was pizz him off... mightily.

I placed a third round behind his ear as I sidestepped his charge. That knocked him down, but not out. It took a final round to the back of the head to cool his azz permanently. Safe to say I've never, ever taken that frontal head shot since.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Also, shoot at the side of the head. Believe it or not, a frontal shot could deflect. You haven't lived until you unload one from the pickup and have him stand up....pissed.

Amen to that advice on avoiding the frontal head shot with a handgun. I once followed up another guy's wounded boar in thick brush. I eventually found the hog -- or rather, he found me -- and I put two quick 44 Mag rounds between his eyes.

And all it did... was pizz him off... mightily.

Crap, that was my emergency backup plan grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer to solve the problem with blue and wood, with the occasional transgression to matte stainless.

Ya well, some folks is handgun snobs...

Whats next? A Belgian Hi-Power to go with the after dinner mints?

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Don't let Ingwe in on this... he'll be back in his Holland & Holland drooling coma state.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer to solve the problem with blue and wood, with the occasional transgression to matte stainless.

At least I don't own anything as lace curtain as a fowler...

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
At least I don't own anything as lace curtain as a fowler...

Hey, compared to the stockings, and wig that goes with it, the gun itself is a paragon of manliness. Anyhow I was just pretending OK ?

Along with those other guys...

...on weekends....

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you pick up a Glock 29 you'll have to post a photo of the fowler and the Glock together. I get a nosebleed just thinking of the contrast - kinda like a photo of Angelina and Rosie O' sharing a bottle of suntan lotion.

Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JOG
I get a nosebleed just thinking of the contrast - kinda like a photo of Angelina and Rosie O' sharing a bottle of suntan lotion.

The mental image of that damn near cost me my lunch!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Hahahaha!�

YES!

Count me in as a Handgun Snob!

HP�s, blued steel and gun LEATHER and ( walnut - hmhm, or exotic ) WOOD!

M 29, M 19, HP�s, 1911, Walther PPK, PYTHON, SAA 4 3/4" - I LOVE my guns!

Hermann

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bighorn
The .454 Casull is ideal for big hogs. I used to have a lease in the Texas hill country, where we hunted for hogs frequently. My buddy and I gave up on the .44 mags- they kill hogs, but not with the authority of the Casull.

Here too--But been going out with a Colt Anaconda lately.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by DarrellH
I'm not familiar with the 180 grain Federal load, but I would have taken that shot with confidence with my 4" Ruger GP-100, .357 Magnum with the 180 grain Cast-Performance WFN handload that I use. I would try to take out both shoulders on a broadside shot.

My sentiments exactly. I use Beartooth Bullets 185FNGC with H110 to push 1250+ fps out of a 4" S&W 686. The meplat or flat of the BTB is .280" across - the same as the meplat on the original Keith .44 bullet!

Last edited by RMcL; 06/13/10.
M
MK1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
HANDGUNS for FERAL HOGS

Shot hogs for 50years and with handguns around 40 years.Had clean kills then there were others far less professional and a few real heart starters.One cartridge and pistol combination stands out, 29 S&W 8 3/8 inch 44mag.Used a good quantity of cast gas check loads. Best results were 240-300gr. Factory fodder Winchester 240 gr SP were always reliable in controlled expansion.

I still carry a Colt Python (this one is only the second since 1968).My opinion is that the 357 needs a minimum 158gr. The negative point with this cartridge and a 6in barrel is muzzle blast noise machine. No escaping the fact that velocity is required in a 357 for positive kills on large animals. A 8 3/8" 44mag gets the job done with a lesser intensity.For a all day working carry gun the Python is a necessary compromise gun on the ranch.The 29 S&W is always in a vehicle. I look back to my teens and think of hogs killed with a 92 44-40 Winchester and plain base cast. The reloads were probably only around 1000FPS maximum. We used a Lyman tong tool and 200g mould.Powder was probably my fathers Unique or similar. Father was a keen shotgun shooter and reloader. To him rifles were a distraction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Only good wild hog is a dead wild hog. We leave them lay all the time or stack them up for the coyotes to dine on. I don't feel bad at all about shooting these nasty hogs around here and leaving them to rot. They are a nuisance, in case somebody doesn't know that yet.

You can most likely make a bit of cash by letting other folks help you out with your hog problem.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.