-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Talked to Swift yesterday. Said the new manual with data for the 223 will be out in 8 months. I asked what powders they had tested they said they had not tested the 223 at all and were going to in a month.
I know some of you guys shoot this one. I'm shooting a rebarelled 21 1/2", Rem 700. The new barell is a 1 in 7" twist. I've got loads for 75 grain amax using reloader 15 and Rem 7 1/2 BR primers, with lapua and nosler brass. Will be using some winchester brass too. My OAL on those is 2.450.
Any good load info for the 223 75 grain scirocco II would be appreciated.
They actually told me to do whatever I was doing for the a max and look for pressure signs! Said those bullets seem to like a good bit of jump from what they are hearing from customers. I'm not to big on that idea considering the shape of the bullet is totally different.

GB1

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Palmetto

They actually told me to do whatever I was doing for the a max and look for pressure signs! Said those bullets seem to like a good bit of jump from what they are hearing from customers. I'm not to big on that idea considering the shape of the bullet is totally different.

That is how I worked up my Scirocco II loads for my 22-250AI. starting low is always your friend, particularly as you mention the long shank of the Scirocco II as compared to the 75 gr. A-max.
I don't have my load notes in front of me but do remember both bullets ran real close velocity wise, my measure of pressure, with same loads of powder. I remember being surprised by that. I use moly so that may be part it, maybe not.
As to liking jump, with that long parallel shank, the ogave is way forward on the bullet compared to the a-max meaning it is going to be in the lands at quite a bit shorter COAL than the A-max and the shank well down into the powder.
I've only loaded the Scirocco in the 223 WSSM and 22-250AI and in both cases got very acceptable accuracy just off the lands. I'd start there and only go back in pursuit of accuracy if you need to.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
At 2.450 you are right the ogive on the swift will be much closer to lands, maybe to close. Just gonna have to start low with the same owder and see how it goes. Just can't believe that swift doesn't have any good data on those. Didn't know a company would offer a bullet without at least a safe starting point!?
I'll see what fits and give it a go.
The amax didn't seem to care what charge of RL-15 you fed it, shot em all under a hallf inch, same w varget. Was hard to pick a winner.
From the lyman data I used for the 75 amax the second and third load from min of Rl 15 seemed to be a litle better than the rest, but the max was real tight too. The speed would be nice with these big heavy bullets. hopefully the swifts will be that easy.
The amax are the best shooting bullets I've found for fast twist 22's hands down. Wis they had a heavier jacket and I would be done with finding a hunting round.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (44mc, 808outdoors, 7887mm08, 35, ar33c9, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,253 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.