24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
My sister is going to have her female Viszla bread this fall and I've decided that I wanted a Viszla. I just haven't decided if I want a male or female.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Thank You

If You Can Count Your Guns....... You Dont Have Enough.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now for one, you will have to get a female fixed as they do come in to cycle twice a year. Not fun going out hunting with a female in heat, plese don't even think about it ok.

Females for the most part are a bit easyier to train but their are exceptions to every rule. A female you can bred later to a good papered stud and sell those extra puppies but trust me you will earn every penny of that you betcha.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
We've currently got a 13 month old male. Very smart, very active, passively stubborn. Not shy but somewhat sensitive--a little bit of "I'm the pack leader" behavior goes a long way
In the past, we've had labs and GSP--all males.
What I think my wife's major reason for having males is: they don't make as many marks in the middle of the lawn.
Viszlas tend to want to be very close, all the time. It's easier on your feet/lap/whatever to have a 45 pound dog than a 60 pound dog.
One reason for a male and one for a female. Not very profound but....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 10 month old female GSP hasn't hiked her leg on my wife's plants yet, which is a big factor in why we got her rather than a him. Our yard is big enough we don't have the dead grass spots to deal with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I must say, that teaching a young dog just where to go "Potty" is the owners responsibility in the first place. Yes, females do it in one 4 to 6 inch spot on a lawn and males love to spray their fluids in several places, especially the flower bed if you have such a thing at your home.

Our guard dog German Shepards were taught at a very young age, just where to go potty at and that was a no problem situation period for the next dozen years of their life span.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You probably don't want to hear this, but from what I have seen of them, Viszlas are not hunting dogs. I think they have lost it. If you want a pointing dog, look at Brittanys or GSP's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Please read Tonk's comments:

"Now for one, you will have to get a female fixed as they do come in to cycle twice a year. Not fun going out hunting with a female in heat, plese don't even think about it ok."

He is soooooooooo correct!!!!!!!!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Ron_AKA
You probably don't want to hear this, but from what I have seen of them, Viszlas are not hunting dogs. I think they have lost it. If you want a pointing dog, look at Brittanys or GSP's.

What is your reasoning behind this. Just curious cause my sister's dog hunts very well. We took her to North Dakota when she was six months and she was pointing birds one after another.

E
E
I think what he is refering to is something I have heard from other people about Viszlas. In that you can breed two great hunting dogs and still end up with a majority of puppies that don't have that same desire or drive to hunt. So in other words its hard know what your going to end up with.
Now with that if you truly enjoy the breed and they seem to work for you, I say take your time find the right one and get it. I had alot of people tell me not to get a gsp now all of them are asking when and who I'm gonna breed my male too so they can get a puppy.

Last edited by elkreazy; 06/19/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cheesy.......females seldom ever hike their rear leg to urinate on anything, they simply "Squat".

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ron_AKA

I have a male viszla and if I even glance toward the gun safe he starts wagging his tail. He loves to bird hunt and has a great nose on him. He hunts just as well if not better than my GSP's. Maybe I lucked out. And I have owned GSP's and Brittanies. I think if you have the space and land go with a male, if not stick with a female.
I think male are a bit more stubborn than females. IMO

Great breed and I take him fishing hiking with me and the wife. He loves our cat, chickens etc. Very affectionate and great personality. They are known as the velcro dog because they like to be next to their owners.

Have owned a few good GSP's too

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I had a viszla for 11 years, awsome pheasant dog.

Get one from a hunting line and your good to go, stay away from non hunting breeders.

Spot

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
always liked the gyps.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka

Great breed and I take him fishing hiking with me and the wife. He loves our cat, chickens etc. Very affectionate and great personality. They are known as the velcro dog because they like to be next to their owners.

Have owned a few good GSP's too

i often hear Viszla's described this way and though i know ive got a pure bred GSP that also describes him to a T.......though cats dont always know it.....he runs at them full bore looking to say hi and play but all the cat sees is a 50 pound dog running at them at full tilt grin if he has his choice, other than out running and hunting he wants to be right next to me all the time, drives my wife nuts cause he thinks he is a lap dog....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

biggest thing about viszla's are that they are not great in really cold weather, they do like water though.

If your going to have a house dog they're are awsome, but it somewhat limits how you use them as hunters. If you have an outside dog and it's a really cold area you'll need a good dog house, many people even put some type of heater element in them. But they do have good hunting lines.

I got mine from a gun shop in Nevada Iowa - couldn't find a quail for her life, but she left all other dogs at the starting line when it came to pheasant.

Spot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sharpshooter just how many Viszla's have you had during your lifetime? I am curious because you speak of the breed as though you raised them for several years.

One cannot give advice correctly about a breed of dog unless they have seen many over the years and had several themselves. I myself only know a little about that particular breed, I have seen at least 3 dozen in trials over the years and hunting in the fields of Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota over the last 20 years of so.

I sincerly do believe that other breeds do have a particular trait that sets them a side from the other breeds. There are no bad hunting breeds, just bad handlers and breeders who try to change what others have done over the years.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk
Cheesy.......females seldom ever hike their rear leg to urinate on anything, they simply "Squat".

My comment was tongue in cheek, referencing the fact that she can't hike her leg on the wife's plants. With the males I've had we worked worked to keep them from doing that, but nothing helped except a wrought iron fence around the flower beds.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by elkreazy
I think what he is refering to is something I have heard from other people about Viszlas. In that you can breed two great hunting dogs and still end up with a majority of puppies that don't have that same desire or drive to hunt. So in other words its hard know what your going to end up with.
Now with that if you truly enjoy the breed and they seem to work for you, I say take your time find the right one and get it. I had alot of people tell me not to get a gsp now all of them are asking when and who I'm gonna breed my male too so they can get a puppy.

Ok, I can kind of see your point, my uncle has a vizsla and he does't hunt at all even though my uncle bought him for hunting.

Is their anyway to find out when their still a pup if pointing birds come natural? My sister vizsla was pointing little birds on the bird feeder when she got her. At what age do pups show interest in birds?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Every dog is an individual, so I'll argue all day long with generalizations about this breed or any other. LifexIsxHunting was asking about which sex to get, not which breed.

My V is a 2.5 year old female. I chose a female because I expected a female to be generally easier to train and a better companion in the house. Since every dog is an individual, you could end up with a meek male or a hell-raiser for a female. You couldn't drag her away from my wife or kids with tractor trailer.

BTW, "passively stubborn" is a great way to describe them.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Males lifting their leg is a learned trait, meaning male dogs will squat until they see other dogs lift their leg.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, AB2506, Akbob5, 300_savage, 20 invisible), 17,475 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,997
Posts18,540,249
Members74,053
Most Online21,066

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.