Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bought my third Bell & Carlson from Dick Churchley of Red Hawk Rifles. Couldn't find a better person to deal with. Super guy.
Why B&C instead of a McMillan? All of my factory barreled rifles with B&C dropped from 1"+ groups at 100yds to legitimate 1/2" rifles.

Last edited by John_Boy; 06/18/10.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A McMillan wouldn't have allowed your rifles to do that somehow?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dick is a first class guy to deal with. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not much into synthetic stocks, but I have two sporters with these stocks; one a McMillen and the other a B&C. Both shoot 3 shots inside 1/2" at 100 yards. No complaints about either make.
I did have B&C replace a 20+ year old recoil pad that just went the way of many older pads due to ozone, use, etc. They replaced it for the pad cost only, and they picked up labor costs. While there, they repainted it for $45, after calling me on the phone asking me if I wanted them to do it; a great price. It was all black, and now it is snow camo. They get high marks from me on their customer service.
Never had any problems with the McMillen which is 20+ years old also. It's a sporter stock on my 7mm Mag. The B&C is a sporter stock on my 22 BR.
Never used any other make synthetic stocks, and if I wanted a new one today, it would be one of those two that I have now.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW

John Boy,

You have committed one of the ultimate sins. You said something good about a stock that is not a McMillan. I am going to point out here that you said NOTHING bad about McMillan; you only said something good about some other(obviously inferior) stock. My purpose here is to warn you that with some here on the fire you are in danger of banishment. What ever you do do not at any time soon say something/anything good about a bullet other that Barnes or the bullet and stock snobs may gang up on you at that point you may be beyond saving.
eek grin
8mmwapiti

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
...And, definitely do not say anything bad about a Kimber in 270 Winchester? Or, at least don't let 'em know where you live.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
And never, ever, compare a fine custom Mauser or Springfield to a 700 with a multi colored synthetic stock.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
8MMWapiti,
You are so right. I've stepped on some "Nosler" toes real regularly and they act as if I was an Obama clone.
I just don't believe in paying for a name when a quality piece of equipment will work wich is the point of the B&C / McSwirlyy statement.
But you are right, the guns snobs get downright offended if your opinion is not based on the price of your toys, and the more toys the better.
I feel so alone.....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Haven't had a McMillan bust on me yet, I have had a B&C take a [bleep] though.

Some think it's 'paying for a name', whatever helps them sleep at night.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dick Churchley is a very stand up guy. He definately know the product he sells.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
SteelHead,
You are correct. Sometimes it is better to pay for a name. Honda comes to mind. The other side of that coin is "you get what you pay for". (sometimes) Is a McSwirly worth the additional cost over a B&C? Depends on the intended purpose. Accuracy? I doubt I'll improve over .5" to make the extra cost worth it. So in that case, No. I currently hunt out of box blinds so the chances of the stock suffering severe damage are slim to none. Worth it, No. If I am ever blessed enough to get to hunt the mountains where bad things can happen...maybe worth it. But if the rifle stock suffers enough damage to render it unusable what condition will the scope be in. The stock brand and durability is therefore rendered a moot issue. Pride of ownership? Of course. However alot of us non-elite simply can't afford to be elite. I've just now upgraded from Simmons scopes to all Leupold. (24x, 12x and two 6x's). Yes, that's right Virginia only four measly centerfire rifles. You see some of the non-elite don't spend every spare dollar to stuff a gun safe with play pretties that can only be fired one at a time. We have to work our way up the elite food chain. We can't be smug enough to run down someone else's choices. 8MMWapiti was right. You can tell when you've offended the intelligencia on this site. Bottom line is: Dead is dead, whether death by Savage or death by Sako. "Live long and prosper" boys. Signed, Happily Non-Elite

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, I've seen lots of VA boys in Alaska talking about how good their [bleep] was. That lasted about a week or two.

Course I didn't realize that you don't hunt so you are good with whatever you want to use. Carry on.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 8mmwapiti
Originally Posted by GregW

John Boy,

You have committed one of the ultimate sins. You said something good about a stock that is not a McMillan. I am going to point out here that you said NOTHING bad about McMillan; you only said something good about some other(obviously inferior) stock. My purpose here is to warn you that with some here on the fire you are in danger of banishment. What ever you do do not at any time soon say something/anything good about a bullet other that Barnes or the bullet and stock snobs may gang up on you at that point you may be beyond saving.
eek grin
8mmwapiti

Be careful now...

I own more B&C's than I do McMillans.

My point was obviously lost or ignored with your witty reply. I highly doubt the groups was shot solely because the handle was a B&C and not a McMillan but you knew that already.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Steelhead, are you aware of the definition of "boorish".
I guess that hunting in Alaska or 40,000+ posts allows such snobery. No life besides the campfire huh? P.S. The "Virginia" reference is a play on words from a very famous letter; "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus". But I would't expect you to know such menial things.

Last edited by John_Boy; 06/28/10.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Greg,
I understood you point. And I appreciate your input. My point was that while McMillans are without a doubt a better stock, the B&C's suffice for my needs now until I can afford to upgrade. 8MMWapiti's point is well taken however as evidenced by the boorish reply of steelhead who thinks that stand hunting isn't hunting. Actually it's more like sniping. But, in our part of the country we are very limited. So, makeshift hunting is better than none at all. Here in the south (Texas) we do have enough manners to respect one anothers opinions (even if they're wrong :-) I guess when I'm elite enough I'll go "HUNT" in ALASKA! Or I may have to stoop to hunting Africa...cheaper don'tcha know.

Last edited by John_Boy; 06/28/10.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_Boy
No life besides the campfire huh?

Wow. I dunno if that's funny or just sad. I would say that Steelie probably enjoys life as much or more than anybody on this site. At least it looks that way from the pictures.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I wiped my ass with two ply [bleep] paper tonight, guessing that really makes me elite from your perspective.

Course it's tough becoming elite spending an entire adult life as an enlisted man, but I still manage.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
P.S. You might also want to investigate paragraph breaks, if that isn't too elitist for you.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Bought my third Bell & Carlson from Dick Churchley of Red Hawk Rifles. Couldn't find a better person to deal with. Super guy.
Why B&C instead of a McMillan? All of my factory barreled rifles with B&C dropped from 1"+ groups at 100yds to legitimate 1/2" rifles.

If that's all it took you probably could have rebedded the factory stock and gotten the same result. Then you could tell us all about the great factory stock.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Careful Toltec, youve got over 11 k posts......you might be setting yourself up as a target.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.