Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So Rost, should I just learn to shoot the 2 stage better or switch to the single stage?

Ya got me thinking I should just run what I have now.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would just stay with the two stage and go by what rost recommends, he's BTDT more than most.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats your call totally.. like I said the Geiselle was ok and have not touched the AR gold but I've heard a lot of comments on JP and some other triggers being perfect single stage AR triggers and when I've tried them, lets just say my definition of perfect and the owners is different.

Personally I"d stick with the 2 stage as I said, IMHO its a safer design(although it can double too if the engagement wears too much but you can get that back easy enough) and I think you said it was too light...get more weight on the second stage till you are happy.

I might think other wise if I was running only IPSC or such... but as it is, I run an AR well enough that I use my 2 stage there before to win stages of the AR portions.... when everyone tells me I can't or shouldn't be able too... I can shoot the 2 stage fast enough to make me happy, IE controlled aimed fire every second is fast enough....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
I would just stay with the two stage and go by what rost recommends, he's BTDT more than most.

Me thinks you are correct. Im a AR newbe and probly are best served by running what I have till I know what I really want.

Thanks for the help guys.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW I've NEVER seen a job like on that link last a long time. Not more than a few thousand rounds and simple geometry tells you that yes that trigger will be better than standard factory, but due to geometry and the gun that trigger can never be what I"d call good.

For the cost of the trigger job you can buy a new RRA NM trigger, for another 35 or so bucks have that tuned and be WAY ahead of a bandaid treated factory trigger.

Mind you I've said those kinds are vastly superior to most factory triggers, but still in the realm of junk to me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've had a few bolt action rifles and a few AR's. I can't see much if any difference between my well tuned Jard's in the AR's and the bolt guns. The RRA Match tuned by WOA is a darn nice trigger too. I just can't see how any one would not be able to shoot one of my Jard's or the RRA/WOA as well as a similarly weighted trigger from a bolt gun. I know I can.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
could be... can you shoot yours as well, sure. But that doesn't mean its a perfec trigger either... I"ve pulled MANY hunting gun triggers that are supposed to be just dandy... I have yet to pull one that makes me happy unless it happens to be one of mine... Generally because they are not set up correctly.

One wish I had is that I could test or more precisely try each of the other triggers folks think are so good, compared to what I think is good and then I'd know how big of an Azz I am or not.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW I don't consider the tuned RRA to be the best of triggers, but I do consider for the money, its gotta be about the best deal out there and closest to a clean crisp good break every time without creep.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by 65X54
Not going to tell you what you really need ect. Just curious if you have ever tried a good two stage trigger? You will probably find a lot cleaner breaking trigger in a two stage.

I have a great 2 stage now, just too light. Plus I never cared for a 2 stage. My hope is to make the trigger as "bolt action" like as I can.

So what kind of trigger and pull weight are you trying to duplicate here? Many say a new X-mark pro and ruger trigger are great, that definition means creep is fine for those who think these triggers are good. My point is, you may think what Rost says is garbage is adequate for you, only you and your finger know the answer.

And I suspect rost is aiming much higher than MOST people actually want, but you are the only one that knows what your "great" is, as all factory triggers are garbage to Rost ( and I agree with him). I have 3 Jewells in remingtons, had a shilen and it was good for a hunting weight, and my AR has a 2# Jard and I like it, but it has some creep similar to many off the shelf hunting factory triggers..... and it is in your price range and adjustable, ie needs to be adjusted to function well.

I am not a trigger junky, and don't know what to suggest and see others freely offer their opinion while I say you need to try one before selecting yours, but I will stress triggers are one thing that YOU need to decide on, of course with knowledgable help to guide you. It isn't like "what scope mount will work best with a scope".

Good luck

Allen

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I just received Glen Zediker's latest book on the AR-15; The Competitive AR15 Builders Guide. It has a nice section on the basic trigger, the Jewel trigger and the one he considers the best of the triggers: the Geissele. Lots of pictures, lots of detail.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Jewel.... wonder if they have finally figured out how to retain the exact same pull weight from one pull to the next yet...

Glen... how do you manage to read his version of "english" writing style.

He has a lot of knowledge though.

Allen... nice post, and I usually try to make it known I"m anal on triggers, and that anything might suffice for some...but don't compare your trigger with a bit of creep to mine with none.

Jeff

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Glen's writing style is fine once you get used to it. He does have a lot of knowledge and (brace yourself) opinions.

I realise that last one was a shock to you, but what can I say, it is what it is.

Denys

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm not a trigger nut, as long as it's reliable and consistant, I can get by. In fact I have a factory Rem trigger in a bolt gun adjusted to 3 pounds, I shoot S&W M&P and Glock triggers then jump over to a few RR NM 2 stage triggers and even run 2 factory AR triggers set at 7-8 pounds. Triggers are the least of my problems.

I have wanted to try a Geisselle 2 stage but word is he has a few prototype single stages out there. Only time will tell but like has been pointed out, until you try one for yourself, you just don't know.

Now if someone could make a trigger break like an old S&W revolver...

Last edited by TWR; 07/01/10.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You can get a tuned RRA 2 stage trigger from WOA for $120.

They also have the Geisselle for a lot more.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
Glen's writing style is fine once you get used to it. He does have a lot of knowledge and (brace yourself) opinions.

I realise that last one was a shock to you, but what can I say, it is what it is.

Denys

how many books will Ihave to read of his before I don't about puke with his irritating(to me) writing.... of course thats my opinion.. haha.
Jeff

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have four of his books. I also read his column in a gun rag.

Since I read A LOT of stuff, I am used to seeing many writing styles and I don't get bothered no more, no how. (So to speak.)

Denys

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by rost495
Jewel.... wonder if they have finally figured out how to retain the exact same pull weight from one pull to the next yet...

Allen... nice post, and I usually try to make it known I"m anal on triggers, and that anything might suffice for some...but don't compare your trigger with a bit of creep to mine with none.

Jeff

I assume you mean the AR Jewell has varying pull weights, as my remington jewells break the same using a digital oz scale, and feel that way also. The Xmark from the factory seems to like to fool you......

I agree, my single stage with some perceptable creep isn't your cup of tea, and I have a Beeman with a great 2 stage that is fine for an airgun with my finger. If I shoot my AR enough I may dislike the creep and go for a 2 stage, but as I stated in another thread, my creep equals your first stage, and when on a target I have learned to hold steady long enough to get great groups with it, so I am satisfied ,....until I shoot a better trigger and can afford the switch.

It's all good, and my final statement stands at every individual needs to try one before it passes their "I'll buy it" test. As a former competetive shooter I am sure you agree with this, and have formed your opinion based on your experiences. Thanks again for sharing them, we all learn this way.

Allen

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
I have four of his books. I also read his column in a gun rag.

Since I read A LOT of stuff, I am used to seeing many writing styles and I don't get bothered no more, no how. (So to speak.)

Denys

Thats a pretty good reply... grins... I'm an [bleep] of sorts, I figure I"ve figured out about everything I need to in service rifle so I don't read anymore. I know what holds me back and what works...

But I'm afraid I may have to read/ask a bunch more about F class once I get rolling some.... There I'm not an [bleep], just a dumbass with a scoped gun with HUA syndrome more than likely.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hemiallen
Originally Posted by rost495

Jeff

I assume you mean the AR Jewell has varying pull weights, as my remington jewells break the same using a digital oz scale, and feel that way also. The Xmark from the factory seems to like to fool you......

I agree, my single stage with some perceptable creep isn't your cup of tea, and I have a Beeman with a great 2 stage that is fine for an airgun with my finger. If I shoot my AR enough I may dislike the creep and go for a 2 stage, but as I stated in another thread, my creep equals your first stage, and when on a target I have learned to hold steady long enough to get great groups with it, so I am satisfied ,....until I shoot a better trigger and can afford the switch.

It's all good, and my final statement stands at every individual needs to try one before it passes their "I'll buy it" test. As a former competetive shooter I am sure you agree with this, and have formed your opinion based on your experiences. Thanks again for sharing them, we all learn this way.

Allen

Allen
Yes the jewel ARs only... other jewels are fine. Funny the first prototypes we were given to shoot for 6 months were super triggers, but the production stuff that came out after about the first batch... really good triggers, but NOT like the old ones at all. I had a good one, sold it, and bought 2 more and about puked and sold them quick... I couldn't believe that they'd just had a really good trigger and then screwed it up. Went back to our Milazzo right quick.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,460 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,589
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.