Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Just got my first tumbler in almost 15 years (my old one didn't make the move). Got the RCBS bright green (what else?) Vibe with a 4# bag of corn cob media and a tiny (1/2 teabag size) bag of fine white "polish compound". Instructions were to dump all the case polish in all the media. I did that. Cleaned 25 .375 cases with great success. Got to thinking afterward -- was this white case polish (almost like fine salt) the infamous rouge that becomes an atmospheric nuisance when tumbling cases -- leaves a fine residue on Momma's furniture? What's anyone's experience with that white polish? Should I get rid of it and get some Lyman or Dillon liquid polish? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Don Boyd

Last edited by Don_Boyd; 06/21/10.

Model 70 Forever
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only atmospheric nuisance I've encountered while tumbling is with the treated media with the reddish compound (rouge?) in it. Absolute mess, even with the lid on!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leave it in there it'll be fine but don�t buy anything except Nu-Finish liquid car wax for vibro-bowl polish. Overnight and not only is it clean it's protected.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ted,
Does the Nu-Finish have any effect on the loaded powder or primer over a long period of time? I sometimes find a real accurate load and load a hundred or so for a particular rifle and use them for hunting over several hunting seasons. During hunting season every year I may hunt with several different rifles for differing ranges as well as hog control. I may load as many as 100 rounds for my M-14 I use on hogs. I know that sounds like an over kill, but they destroy 25 to 40% of all of my food plots each year, not to mention 3 or 4 deer feeders every hunting season. If you don't have hogs you are very lucky.
Good shooting,
Marcus.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used it for years and the only thing I see year after year is good clean brass. No problems with my loads.

After hunting season is over I pitch my ammo that I have been loading and un-loading from my rifle and the stuff in my pockets back into the tumbler and Nu-Finish to clean it up for the 9 months of off-season.

Yes, I tumble live rounds. I have no worries there.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Flitz media additive in mine. Works pretty good as far as I can tell.

Weiners are health food - My dad
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Should I get rid of it and get some Lyman or Dillon liquid polish?"

No matter. When the liquid evaporates all that's left is the powder. ??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boomtube
"Should I get rid of it and get some Lyman or Dillon liquid polish?"

No matter. When the liquid evaporates all that's left is the powder. ??

That's why I use wax. The media collects the wax and it just gets better with time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Leave it in there it'll be fine but don�t buy anything except Nu-Finish liquid car wax for vibro-bowl polish. Overnight and not only is it clean it's protected.

How much do you use?

Scott
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've gotten away from the tumbler altogether and I only use Flitz now by hand. I find it takes very little time and the finished case is very nice. I do it after I clean primer pockets. YMMV

CLB

IC B3

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've had great luck with the Midway (Frankford Arsenal?) liquid polish. The shine on the brash when finished is very nice - almost white. I bought the big bottle and that was probably a mistake because it looks like it will take several lifetimes to use up. I'm using an old Dillon 500 tumbler and walnut media.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Every body to his own but the current popularity of plastic looking glittery cases puzzles me. Clean is good but shiney adds nothing. And it sure doesn't last long, so... ??

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1234, 22kHornet, 45 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,266
Posts18,504,910
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.