Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/28/senate-president-emergency-control-internet/

I saw on this on FOX and could not believe that a President would have the authority to shut down the flow of information. I can't think of any good reason to do such a thing.

My question is in what situation would shutting the free flow of information be warranted?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
He does not now nor will he ever have the authority to do it. However, what he has the authority do to has little bearing on what he actually does and we seem powerless to stop him. It's a direct violation of the 1st Amendment.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For the good of the people, obviously. Just like extorting $20 billion from a private company for the good of the citizens of the Gulf, this law would also allow him to protect all the innocent citizens being riled up and lied to by fake online news sources like Drudge.

The he just needs to shut down Fox and talk radio, and everybody will be safe in the knowledge that only valid news will go out via the MSM.

In truth, this bill is intended to secure the critical pieces of our infrastructure that are hooked up to the internet. But I think it's so poorly written that it can and will be abused for political purposes.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
My thoughts too RC. I imagine it would be most beneficial to him were the citizens of this country to rise up and take our government back.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are tens of thousands of switches and they extend world-wide. Just how would this "killing" be accomplished?

And while its being attempted, just what do they think the American people will be doing? Cringing in our homes?

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OSOK, might want to dig deeper. Here's a summary I found.. I'd parse the bill, but at 197 pages it's more legalese than I can absorb.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/internet-kill-switch-proposed-for-us-339303838.htm

A new US Senate Bill would grant the President far-reaching emergency powers to seize control of, or even shut down, portions of the internet.

The legislation says that companies such as broadband providers, search engines or software firms that the US Government selects "shall immediately comply with any emergency measure or action developed" by the Department of Homeland Security. Anyone failing to comply would be fined.

That emergency authority would allow the Federal Government to "preserve those networks and assets and our country and protect our people," Joe Lieberman, the primary sponsor of the measure and the chairman of the Homeland Security committee, told reporters on Thursday. Lieberman is an independent senator from Connecticut who meets with the Democrats.

They can pick and choose which networkshe wants shut down. Just like they can pick and choose which citizens are put on a no-fly list without due process. And the citizens have just sat cringing in their homes in regards to that, haven't they?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, I'm not at all for this or even for ignoring it.

I'm just saying that it would be hard to accomplish and while they were working on it, they would really rile the American people up.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried to snopes it yesterday and came up empty--anyone try today?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
They can pick and choose which networkshe wants shut down. Just like they can pick and choose which citizens are put on a no-fly list without due process. And the citizens have just sat cringing in their homes in regards to that, haven't they?

Have to tell you when you've went to Hawaii and you go to get back on the plane and they tell you you're on the DNF list it ain't funny its a long swim home.

NRA Lifetime Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by OSOK
Oh, I'm not at all for this or even for ignoring it.

I'm just saying that it would be hard to accomplish and while they were working on it, they would really rile the American people up.
The Liar In Chief and his ilk in Congress have already done quite enough to 'rile' the people of this country.. Do you really think they care if they do more damage??

HAH.. He'll do it in a New York second...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/28/senate-president-emergency-control-internet/

I saw on this on FOX and could not believe that a President would have the authority to shut down the flow of information. I can't think of any good reason to do such a thing.

His reason is he is a communist....control.....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If your Google search leads you here... http://www.endoftheinternet.com/

...it might be a sign.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are tens of thousands of switches and they extend world-wide. Just how would this "killing" be accomplished?

And while its being attempted, just what do they think the American people will be doing? Cringing in our homes?
There are lots of ways to accomplish it. Far from the government being broke, they have nearly unlimited resources. They will have said resources as long as they have the power to take your money at will. But then, Ron Paul is a nut and also a traitor because he hasn't single-handedly solved the Mexican border problem.

Not directing any of this at you OSOK.

As far as "cringing in our homes", what are we doing now? Obama seems to be able to violate the Constitution and thus the law of the land, at will. I don't see anybody doing much about it. One law in Arizona. One law that predates it, in Oklahoma, which, btw the Feds did nothing about. We are having our money that we earned by the sweat of our brow, taken and given to unappreciative...nay, hostile assclowns who are nearly at war with us to the south and who are in two wars with us to the east. Our response is to elect a Muslim President.

WWIII has already begun. Many are just not aware of it.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The internet and the world wide web are 2 entirely different things. The internet was developed for and by DOD. That led to the commercialization of the internet and today's www, which is connected to the internet. They could kill the internet anytime they wanted.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep in mind that the sponsor of this legislation is Lieberman. It did not originate in the WH.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lieberman has sponsored a bunch of Draconian legislation of late. He was co-sponsor of the Bill with McCain, to call American citizens "terrorists" and treat them just like the inmates in Gitmo. Basically it would allow the government to put anybody they deemed a terrorist away without due process and torture them too.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
1. And while its being attempted, just what do they think the American people will be doing? 2. Cringing in our homes?

Answers;
1. Nothing. Mostly just yelling bs like you are now but you wont be doing it on the net.

2. Yes. Same as you'll be doing but we're open to your suggestions here.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They do that in Iran... so what't the prob?

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

My question is in what situation would shutting the free flow of information be warranted?
It would be warranted when the proportion of the US population, that understands the gigantic scam that they've been the victim of these last hundred years or so, becomes nearly large enough to constitute a threat to the scammers themselves.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.