Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AndyG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
1: Has anyone any experience with the 22 Super Max ammo from Aquila? 1750 fps is damn fast.

2: Anyone know anything about the 5mm Rem rimfire ammo the started making. I know the guns haven't been made for a while, but if they're accurate and reliable, I might start trying to find one.

Never be upset by getting old, many never get the privilege.

Knock knock. Who's there? 9/11. 9/11 who? You said you'd never forget.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have been using the new 5mm ammo for awhile now and find it quite accurate. I can clover leaf 5 bullets at 100 yds no problem. I bought the gun new in the '70's and it's great to be able to use it again. I'm really glad I held on to it. It really puts woodchucks down in a hurry! Get a hold of one if you can. They are really fun to shoot!

Bob

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Ditto what he said...!

From something I found on the web:
The 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum

The 5mm Rimfire Magnum is based on a case similar, but not identical, to a necked-down .22 Magnum case. Its case is a little bigger and it has to be stronger as it must contain 50% greater pressure, 22,000 psi Vs 33,000 psi. Bullet diameter is .2045", or .20 caliber, the same as the .204 Ruger centerfire cartridge.

The Remington factory load drove a 38 grain Power-Lokt semi-spitzer hollow point bullet at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2100 fps. This offered an increase of about 25 yards of practical range compared to the .22 WMR.

It was introduced in a pair of Remington bolt action rifles, the Models 591 (clip magazine) and 592 (tubular magazine). T/C chambered their Contender for the 5mm for a short time. As far as I know, those were the only firearms available in 5mm RFM. The cartridge was not picked-up by other rifle or ammunition companies.

In retrospect it is hard to understand why the 5mm was such a commercial flop. Its ballistics were quite appealing, as we shall see. I think that the answer is that in 1970 the market was simply not ready for a new rimfire cartridge with an "undersize" bullet. Like the .350 and 6.5mm short magnum centerfire cartridges and Electronix ammunition, the 5mm RFM was too far ahead of its time. If it had it been introduced in 2000 to a more mature market, the outcome might have been much different.

From personal experience... this is one deadly load! I was out critter hunting with my boy and he had his .22-250 and I swear this load opened 'em up as much as his! It is a unique design to itself and do not hesitate to pick one of the old Rem's up! Some had extractor problems which can easily be fixed. This is one fun cartridge and on par cost wise with the .17's and .22 mag. when I purchased over the internet, even with shipping. Plus, it's fun to shoot such a unique cartridge. I have had my Taurus pistol on order for some time and not holding my breath. CZ and I heard Cooper (which would be awesome!) are considering chambering for this round as well.

JUST DO IT!

2nd Part:
I also found some Centurion .22 ammo (made by Aguila - like the 5mm) on the web that I picked up incredibly cheap and it shoots in most of my guns - both pistol and rifle as good as Eley Tenex!! I now use it for my pistol competition shooting - it's awesome! All of the Aguila ammo's are great from what I have seen. The only one to watch is the Subsonic Sniper (SSS) w/the 60 grain bullets. You need the right combo to stabilize it. If you have it - watch out critters!

You make a noise..., Mr. Forty-Four makes a noise, and his five little friends run a lot faster than you do!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've never seen a 5 leaf clover. Is it more lucky, must be as you say it is no trouble. Photos please!
Butch

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yes, I've been shooting Aguila Super Max out of my heavily modified 10/22 for years. It's very accurate, clean, and really pops ground squirrels. Gives you added range over standard 22 LR ammo. Anything out to about 150 yards is a chip shot, and we've had plenty of one shot kills out to 225 yards.

IC B2

R
R
there is a 5mmforum.com

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I've never seen a 5 leaf clover. Is it more lucky, must be as you say it is no trouble. Photos please!
Butch

You have never seen a five leaf clover!!??? I feel sorry for ya. They are all over the place up here, if you know where and how to look. I glue them to my targets and use my 5mm to shoot the leaves out. Nothing left but stem! grin

Fall seven times, stand up eight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,353
Posts18,506,288
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.