Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Maybe ive just been lucky but never once have I witnessed an animals jaw shot off when attempting a head or spine shot. A varmint bullet put into the upper neck region at even moderate velocities is going to hit any deer like Thors hammer. Obviously a bonded bullet may not have time to open causing wounds like you describe but thats why they make oodles of different types and styles of projectile.

I have seen a jaw shot off. I got my azz tore up by briars finding the thing so the bozo that did it could finish it off.

The buck was standing in the wide open and a wannbe sniper, who liked to brag about his head shots, got cute and tried a 40 yd head shot so he could show everyone back at camp how great a marksman he was.... OOps.

It took all day to finally catch up with that buck.

Damn shame to do that to an animal when a proper shot would have ended it. I have shot bucks in the neck before, but only when that was my only shot and I knew I could make the shot.

It ain't my first choice and trying a head shot when others are available is even more assinine IMO.

The correct head shot, from the back or front, prefereably back of the head, leaves about any hit either a flesh wound or instant death. Its the side on head shots that can get the jaw with nothing else. If you simply use some sense about a head shot, its extremely lethal, and very nice to clean the animal. I"ve missed 2 head shots that I can recall, and both times the gun had been knocked off. But I made the shot at an angle such that its either dead or alive, and not wounded.
I wouldn't suggest them for the inexperienced though, and messing up a 40 yard head shot tells me the hunter is capable of shooting for lungs and hitting guts and the same tracking job just the same.....

Now NECK shots are not nearly as fool proof as the target is small, at an angle and there is not a foolproof way to make a neck shot without the chance of hitting the windpipe/esophagus but nothing else vital. I've taken the deer down to bones just to see how things shape up and the very last shot I'd ever risk at an animal would be a neck shot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
match bullets, FMJ's, varmints bullets, cup & Core bullets above their design window, monometal bullets at "non-magnum" velocities (less than 3000fps).

Yup, what he said!

I'm good to go with standard cup and core at standard velocities.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Since I started shooting Barnes out of .22's & seen how effective they are, it's now the only bullet I'll load for game animals. Regardless of the caliber.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by summitsitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
Kinda gettin' off topic here, but I have seen head shots which removed the bottom jaw, and the deer starved to death.

Your right Texas I'm sorry I did get off topic..This was a discussion of what ONE wouldn't use. Not whether it worked or not..Sorry for derailing this thing.. Texas I mean if you shot them with the judo point it would probly kill them.. I too have see a doe with the jaw blowed off and at the point made of my mind to steer away from the head shot..Thanks for the discussion

I enjoyed the discussion also. Always interesting to hear different perspectives. And refreshing that they can be shared without acrimony.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Agreed

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dozen or so years ago I used Remington extended range bullets in my 7mm Rem mag, think they were 162g or something close to that.

Shot excellent and I was young/naive to not know they weren't hunting bullets.

Shot a 1 1/2 old antelope buck (100-125 yards) that I ended up chasing down over quite a ways to get another shot into him to put him down. Very poor bullet performance.

Never really thought much about the poor performance and show a white tail at probably close to 300 yards. Repeat of the above, thankfully there was snow on the ground as it was a bit of a tracking job.

Used up the rest of those shells on targets.

As for the rest, pisses me off to no end when idiots grab their .223's or 22-250's and go deer hunting with the same cheap box of shells they grabbed to go shoot some flicker tails or prairie dogs.

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had mixed results with one particular Hornady bullet, the 140gr Interlock boattail .277". I've had them just poke thru, without causing much damage till I hit bone (second or third shot), and had them blow up like a grenade. Wasn't happy with either result, so now I won't use them. Hornady changed cannelure locations on that bullet, moving it forward quite a bit. Maybe that fixed the issue, maybe not. I don't think I'll ever know...............
They DO shoot well in my rifles, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To be honest, I think almost any bullet will work for deer. I personally don't take head/neck shots (because I've seen what a botched head shot will do), but way too many deer are killed that way here in Texas to argue much about it. Even a varmint bullet or FMJ would work for these shots. There's a chit load of deer killed in TX every year with .223s and 50 grain varmint bullets.

Having said that, I'm a heart/lung guy and I'm convinced that more deer are lost every year from bullets that are too hard than from being too soft. I've posted this before and know many don't agree with me, but that's my experience. Softer bullets (BTs, GKs, etc.) certainly will ruin meat but I've always figured that's better than a deer shot with a super premium running out of sight and out of your life.

I'm not saying the premiums won't work because they will. I know because I've used them. I probably won't use them again, though, because I don't like deer to run so far after the shot as to risk losing the animal.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AP's toooooooo much penetration on deer, but marginal on elk now a days.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Given that I'll pull the trigger on a maximum of 5 deer a year, I'll stick with Barnes X's. Not sure if I'll be able to afford that $4 or so, but I'll make sacrifices.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm not a real fan of frangible,thin jacketed bullets intended to fly apart,fully recognizing that they do work and kill effectively,and I mostly hunt with higher velocity cartridges,so lean toward something that expands early to a good frontal area,yet holds some weight for penetration,since I have no real concerns with shoulder shots,either from the on-side or angling to the off-side.

I am not wild about any CC's,mostly because they can vary all over the place and I don't have the time nor the opportunity to sift out which one's work and which don't,so I avoid anything of which I'm not certain.

I tend to like bullets like the lighter Partitions,because they are very predictable in the weights I hunt with and know what they will do when I pull the trigger.I like what I hear about things like Fusions and Remington Ultra Bonds,but have not used either on deer yet.

In general I like bullets with some mechanism or bonding that hold some jacket and core together,and it seems these two will do that pretty nicely,since jacket thickness is a step down from things like BBC's and Swift Aframes,are soft enough to expand to a good frontal area,yet seem to hang onto enough weight for additional penetration.The new Deep Curls look good to me, too.

No deer takes a lot of killing no matter how big they get,and premiums are not required,so lots of things work well,but I tend to like early expansion to a large frontal area and some weight retention;IMHO such bullets kill the large Northern deer I concentrate on very quickly if placed right.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
southtexas,

IME, with a deer facing you a center-throat patch shot is a much better option than attempting a head-shot in the same situation.

I've taken this shot because it was the only one I had, as the animals were facing me.

I've never heard anyone favoring a head-shot over the center-throat patch with a buck facing them.

At least your honest... grin wink

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have used the sierra and nosler ballistic tips on deer and I ended up with a deer that looked like he was hit with a grenade, never again. I now use partitions and ttsx in almost all of my hunting rifles, especially my magnums.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't use a Nosler BT. The ones I tried were like using FMJs.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What? You didn't get expansion from a Ballistic Tip?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Must be shooting them from a slingshot or blowgun.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
southtexas,

IME, with a deer facing you a center-throat patch shot is a much better option than attempting a head-shot in the same situation.

I've taken this shot because it was the only one I had, as the animals were facing me.

I've never heard anyone favoring a head-shot over the center-throat patch with a buck facing them.

At least your honest... grin wink

JohnMoses: You must be confusing me with someone else. I don't do head shots. Never have, never will.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My apologies. I'm drunk with fatigue. My azz is dragging and I misread the poster.

Regards,

JM

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
would shot distance play into your bullet of choice. Say you were sitting in a stand and knew your shot would be 300 yards or more what would you choose then? Ive seen nosler ballistic tips fragment at close range. But Ive also seen 140 gr bts from a 7mm remington magnum come out in one neat little mushroom after busting a shoulder on a bull elk at almost 400 yards.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If I was in a stand and knew the deer were gonna be 300+ yards away, I wouldn't be sitting in that stand. smile

Aim for the exit hole.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,682 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,828
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.