-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stuck in Yakutat. Waiting for weather window. Can't wait to get home. Long time gone, but have tied flies. I started a project, now have 180 flies tied for the Casting for Recovery boxes we had donated. Not all pretty, but useful.

The computer use here at the local high school ends in 20 minutes. Only open 3 days/week, wed, thurs, and saturday. No cell service in town and haven't found even one pay phone. Best bet to a phone is to buy one at the True Value store and plug it in at the jack at the boat harbor, and pray it works. Not that desperate, yet. smile

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MissTreated
Not all pretty, but useful.

Typical feminist rant! grin

Please tell me you didn't tie 180 yourself!
I'd rather stab myself 180 times, as Sancho Panza might say. (Sorry, reading Quixote right now.)
But good for you, for the project.

Come home soon. Your left-behinds are getting antsy to open the box. (And your scotch is running low.)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hurry home, we miss all you. The Pike should be hungry. grin --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was just reading this thread yesterday, wondering if you were still in transit.

Are you heading to ANC or ADQ? If the latter, are you going to do it in small hops, or one straight shot?

Scott

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
ANC usually refers to: African National Congress, a revolutionary movement which became the ruling political party in South Africa in the 1994 election.
ADQ is a three-letter acronym that may refer to: Action d�mocratique du Qu�bec, political party in Quebec, Canada

You ask the strangest questions, Scott. This is a fly tying thread! grin
But I hear that Sitka takes many straight shots.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MissTreated
Stuck in Yakutat.

STUCK! Dear god. Explain to me why you are not down in the Seatuck fishing for early sockeyes and kings. Sure, it's been 20 years since I've done so but I fondly recall the trips there with my Grandfather.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
The wait continues. MissKeeto will be leaving soon for The Real Alaska. Our other friend is chasing fish in Scandinavia. We shall never open this box of flies. Thanks heavens for single malt.

ANC, ADQ. I heard Seward was a possibility. But really, what could be prettier than to find yourself in Whittier?

p.s. I miss MissTreated.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Open it! Open it!

MsKeeto deserves her flies, as do you.
Throw the Sitka flies in the bushes near their back door. They'll find 'em sometime.

Just remember to boast over Riley that you're my favorite now! grin

Wonderful news today. Our seafarers called from Cordova. One more night on the water and home they'll be.

I still might throw their flies in the bushes just for fun. Can't wait to see everyone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, back from the voyage, a few stories and all that, but looking forward to the fly swap, swap 'n grab...

Riley and I did check out the Situk, it was without fish, and a one way cab fare there was $50! We hitched a ride back to the boat harbor, it was swarming with bugs, too. Miserable fishing day, but still better than sitting in the boat harbor. Main source of entertainment in Yak was setting and checking crab pots. Let's just leave it at "we got crabs in Yakutat." smile

M

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Welcome home.

Who drove?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mostly Capt. Art.

And yes, I did tie 180 flies myself, 10 sets of 18.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I bow.
I'm doing 90 Aztecs for a friend's group thing to Alberta. 'Tis a chore.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BTW, if you ever want some Aztecs for your CFR boxes, just ask.
(Since I've never had the honor of seeing a pic of Junior's efforts, I have to assume that you'd need to come to the source for good specimens. Dig, dig, hint, hint.)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I sense a hand being forced... wink

As the father of the "Fly of the Month" columnist for the AK Fly Fishers' newsletter I think I wield special powers and can get a piece written about the Aztec and a picture or two of the fly as he ties them... According to the originator's directions and using the right stuff even...

Just trying to get the efforts documented... wink
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Last I heard, he was complaining about bumps on the butt. I never learned if he solved that problem. You don't want your son to have bumps on his butt, do you? (Though better a son than a daughter! grin )

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't have that problem anymore. Now the tail always twists when I comb it and the mohawk doesn't ever come out right.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's more like it.

What are you using to comb? I get more twisting if I use a poodle brush (and I don't use one, except for 'stacked' parts like the head of the Sculpin). But combing with a little anti-spin flip (Doug Swisher named it 'The Aztec Flip') helps during the process. And the yarn will straighten in use- it's really only cosmetic.
I only have a twist problem when using the Lightweight yarn from one company (LeeWards- and of course they were most available and in more colors! No doubt at all I gave you several lengths of theirs). That stuff is so tightly twisted; it just won't behave nicely. And it also needs quite a bit of 'combing' with my bodkin; sometimes as much as with the fine-tooth comb.

I don't know what to say about the Crest. Can you be more specific about your symptoms?
Seems foolproof to me. I use quite a bit of force when wrapping the Body Yarn. With 10s and smaller I'm in danger of bending the hook.
You are using just single plies in the Crest, I hope.?

(It's OK if I hijack the thread-- I started it! grin )

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am using single piles. They are always either too thick or too thin, and the trimming always doesn't come out looking right either.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm.
I expect that I marked the yarn cards Heavyweight or Lightweight.
You should use the HW on sizes 2 and larger, LW on smaller; as HW makes too dense a Crest on the smaller sizes; and the Body Yarn is also HW, so makes a proportionate spacing with each wrap.
And tie in the 2 Skip-a-Wrap method (one Crest-anchoring wrap, two solo wraps, one Cre...) to keep the Crest sparse and not make each ply crowd the others- that'd start pushing the row out of alignment.
And trim the Crest after combing, not before.
(I don't see how one can go wrong if following the instructions.)
I think I need specs and pics to make a good diagnosis.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,930
Posts18,479,910
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.