Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great story. Nice rifle too.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, great story. Glad to hear the weapon worked well. Can't see the pics right now, but should be able to after cleaning my computer. Thanks for sharing.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thats an attention getter! I have never had that happen, and the fact that you were not ghilied up makes me think he had bad intentions. One of the farms i hunt on (coyote only) the sole reason the farmer gave me permission is that the coy dogs lost fear of his wife on her 4 wheeler and actualy started to chase her when she would ride from the barn to the farm house (bout a mile through hardwoods)

Your story reminded me of this hunters video i saw a couple of years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT6sePYyeL0&feature=related

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TWR
Sometimes they can do the darndest things...

That's good looking country up there, it was about 100 here today. In fact last night my pool water was 93 degrees, hard to imagine snow.

You ever replace the disco pin on that RR 2 stage? Be glad to send you a few if you like.

TWR,

I will definitely bear that in mind if they ever need replaced. Thank you for your generosity!

WE have a pretty good crew here in this section of the Fire!

It was a fun little impromptu hunt, for sure.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
McKay, was that in 5.56? What load? Bang flop?

Congratulations on a fine coy dog.

It was a Federal factory 55 grain load. An old duty load from an agency I used to work for.

The dog got pretty much center punched and he looked like he got pole axed! He hit the dirt hard, did the old dying stretch and that was it. Actually not a bad way to go really.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Friends,

Thanks for all the positive comments.

I will start a pic thread here shortly to show some pics from the same country a few days ago. The warm weather really hit. I dang near needed the AR for the mosquitos!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What are the daetails of the build? Is that a carbon fiber handguard? I'm gonna be getting a new carbine and building a new 18" gun. So far I wanna go with a featherweight barrel and carbon fiber handguard. Any suggestions on barrel maker and hanguard maker? Upper is a rock river tac entry, lower is a local buider, Essential Arms, still have cheap 6 pos stock on it. Right now I have a quad rail on it too. Just wanna go to a lighter faster handling gun. Yours looks perfect!
Awesome pics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We need some updted pictures of the new cabin, I'm sure you have gotten alot more done than the last pictures.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I want some close up pics of that upper. Looks just like what I want to build.
I keep looking at the scenery pics, awesome spot for a cabin.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Palmetto
I want some close up pics of that upper. Looks just like what I want to build.
I keep looking at the scenery pics, awesome spot for a cabin.

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been traveling and working what seems like around the clock.

I will definitely get some close ups for you Palmetto. Probably after work tonight.

In regards to the cabin, progress has been a bit slow, but it is coming along. I have been doing exciting stuff like insulating, installing a wood stove, screwing with stovepipe (Triple Wall pipe is CRAZY expensive)and hanging a little bit of sheetrock.

On my next set of days off I will be heading up to it again, and will snap some pics of the progress.

I hope everyone is staying cool!

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Palmetto
What are the daetails of the build? Is that a carbon fiber handguard? I'm gonna be getting a new carbine and building a new 18" gun. So far I wanna go with a featherweight barrel and carbon fiber handguard. Any suggestions on barrel maker and hanguard maker? Upper is a rock river tac entry, lower is a local buider, Essential Arms, still have cheap 6 pos stock on it. Right now I have a quad rail on it too. Just wanna go to a lighter faster handling gun. Yours looks perfect!
Awesome pics.

In regards to parts, I have been using White Oak Armament barrels for a while now with great success. The last batch I ordered were all 7 twist tubes, and I have heard nothing but positive comments from the guys I built them for. One thing though, they have been being used pretty much exclusively with MK262 which is a 77 smk load. For general purpose, I think an 8 twist would be optimal.

BTW, RRA makes some 8 twist stainless tubes that would be ideal, after having them fluted or turned down.

Competitive shooters like Rost would be best to ask about other brands.

My forend is a Clark carbon fiber setup. The positive, is that it is super light. The negative side is that it is glued to the barrel nut, so when the time comes to replace the barrel, I will have to cut the carbon fiber tube off. I knew this when I built it though and since the LW upper is primarily a hunting rig, I do not anticipate running thousands of rounds a year through it. It will likely take 20 years to burn the tube out, so no big deal.

More later.

Cheers

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Sagebrush.
No one down here is staying cool, not outside anyway. gooing to the range and walking in the woods is miserable when it's 100 degrees till dark!!! If you need anyhelp on the cabin I'd be glad to volunteer until october or so!!!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nice looking rifle. Fun story too. Glad it went bang. grin
Not that there was much doubt. wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looked at Clark's web site on the handguard and talked to em on the phone. The gun I'm gonna put this hanguard on shoots great now, best shooting rifle I own by far. Kinda woried abou taking my old bbl nut off and putting this one on. Dont want to torque the new nut on and then have the gun start shooting like crap because I didn't get it to the torque it was before. I guess what I'm trying to say is "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Should I be concenrned about really screwing this rifle up accuracy wise with the new bbl nut?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Use a torque wrench to take it off and see where it breaks.

But I generaly like to stay under 50 ft pounds, though I had a Colt once that was well over 100 ft pounds and it shot great. Had an LMT that was 35 and shot so-so. You should be fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mackay, would that be the Sangre De Cristo range?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Mackay, would that be the Sangre De Cristo range?

I ain't Mackay, but he is a neighbor of mine. Those mountains are in south-central Idaho.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One shot sure looked like the Sangres. Mighty pretty.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
One shot sure looked like the Sangres. Mighty pretty.

I don't know the exact location of Mack's photos, but yeah, it is a beautiful area.
I think he is building a cabin around there-poor guy!!
laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Palmetto,

one thing I do when torquing barrels is set my torque wrench to a minimal setting such as 35 pounds. Torque it to that spec, then re torque to a higher setting such as 60.

I have been doing it that way for a long time and have not had any issues with a good barrel not continuing to shoot well after a handguard replacement.

That being said, I also agree, if you have a shooter, why mess with it!! smile.

340 is right.

The setting for the pictures is the Lost River mountain range in central Idaho. It is heaven on earth, but sometimes ( in certain areas)the "skeeters" can carry away newborn calves and small anvils!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,494,008
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.