Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What is your experince?
I thought to load for my daughter with Nosler 200 grains Accubonds. The maximum range won�t be more than about 100 to 150 yards.
(She already have a rifle, Tikka, in this caliber.)

GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'd go with a good 180 gr bullet. Depending on where you live in a lot of places the average black bear is smaller than a good sized buck. I think even 150's would be fine, but would run the 180's if it were me.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It depends on your daughter's reaction to recoil. You only need a 150 to whack a Black Bear effectively at any range within the capabilites of a 308 Winchester.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what 'loder said. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, recoil is a good point (strange I didn�t think about it, that is what happens when you don�t consult your kid and go with what I should use).She don�t want to be punished too much. So I will try to find a bullet that performs well and go down in bulletweight. Maybe a 150, 165 or 180 AB or Swift A-frame will be better.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Lightweight bullets equal lightweight recoil.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is she used to standard 150-165 grain 308 recoil?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What is the average size of the bears your hunting ?
For bears 300 lbs and less any good bullet for deer will put bear down.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Lightweight bullets equal lightweight recoil.

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These black bears were taken with a .308 with one shot each using the 155gr Lapua Scenar bullet.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, she is used to recoil from 150, 165 and 180 grains. Bear sizes are from 100+, up to biggest shot in the area 450 pounds.

That is why I thought more bullet weight could be better. But maybe not always necessary, shot placement is more important.

She is a rather good shooter. Won many competitions using (don�t laugh now)air rifles and 22 lr match rifles. She don�t compete anymore, hunting is no 1 today, both with shotgun and rifle.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Scenarshooter, really nice bears you got. Congrats.
How much did they weigh?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 300grains
Scenarshooter, really nice bears you got. Congrats.
How much did they weigh?

I killed them a long ways from any road or trail so I would only be guessing on what they weighed...The first two were 6 1/2 foot squared, the other one was small....maybe a little over 5 foot.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yes, she is used to recoil from 150, 165 and 180 grains.

She's all set then.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Won many competitions using (don�t laugh now)air rifles and 22 lr match rifles.

That's good stuff, no laughing matter. My dad was a pretty good smallbore competitor back in the day.

J
J
"I have hunted with Alaska Bush Adventures twice. Once in 2005 for caribou and in 2008 for black and brown bear. In both instances I was guided by Ryan Krank. I found him to be knowledgeable and experienced in guiding. I was impressed with the logistical support the outfitter had in the bush. The equipment needed during the hunt was available minus the items outlined in the equipment list provided prior to each hunt. The food that was served was adequate. In the main camp breakfast consisted of eggs, bacon and pancakes. Lunches were different types of lunch meats and cheeses with fresh bread. Dinner was ground meat, potatoes, noodles and canned goods. It was also supplemented with fresh caught fish and game. In spike camp the breakfast consisted of oatmeal and the other meals were freeze dried backpacker meals which were delicious. Snacks were provided with fresh fruits, granola and candy bars. The quality and abundance of the food provided was above what I had anticipated for a back country hunt. A shower and a latrine were in each main camp. On both trips, mechanical problems were experienced with either the boat motors or the argos. In each incident the problems were repaired and my hunt was not impacted.

On my 2005 hunt I got a small caribou on the next to the last day. The hunting conditions were not ideal due to weather and animal movements. I felt that my guide did put in 100% effort during the entire trip. Even though the animal I got was not as big as I had hoped I enjoyed myself during the trip and I felt that I worked very hard in order to take that animal. My second hunt was originally booked for September 2007. A week before I was scheduled to leave the trip was canceled by Les Krank. Due to unforeseen problems with guides, he felt that he could not provide a satisfactory hunt to me for that year. This trip was rescheduled for 2008. I feel that this cancellation was a sign of the outfitter's integrity. An unscrupulous outfitter would have allowed me to hunt in 2007 anyway, thus fulfilling the contract even though I would not have had a good hunt. In 2008 I took a black bear and a brown bear. Again I was impressed by my guide's abilities and I ended up having the best hunt of my life to date. I have had two positive experiences with this outfitter and I plan on returning for future hunts.

I have read some negative reviews posted on web sites concerning this outfitter. I have not experienced anything that these posts describe. I feel that perhaps some of these individuals were not prepared for the harsh conditions that are experienced in Alaska. Alaska is an environment that is different and harsher than what is experienced in the lower 48 states. Alaska Bush Adventures advertises and sells hunts that take place in the remote bush of Alaska. In these areas comforts like beds, running water and refrigeration do not exist. For some people this is a foreign concept. They are used to comfortable beds and luxurious meals served in great lodges. In remote Alaska the hunting is fair chase against some of the most challenging conditions to be found. Alaska is not for everyone and for some it is far beyond their physical and mental limitations."

Bernie Davis

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Well there is that??????????????

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
150-165 grain would be fine, over the years I have seen made "heavy" old bears killed in PA with much smaller.

Ted
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by joe60
"I have hunted with Alaska Bush Adventures twice. Once in 2005 for caribou and in 2008 for black and brown bear. In both instances I was guided by Ryan Krank. I found him to be knowledgeable and experienced in guiding. I was impressed with the logistical support the outfitter had in the bush. The equipment needed during the hunt was available minus the items outlined in the equipment list provided prior to each hunt. The food that was served was adequate. In the main camp breakfast consisted of eggs, bacon and pancakes. Lunches were different types of lunch meats and cheeses with fresh bread. Dinner was ground meat, potatoes, noodles and canned goods. It was also supplemented with fresh caught fish and game. In spike camp the breakfast consisted of oatmeal and the other meals were freeze dried backpacker meals which were delicious. Snacks were provided with fresh fruits, granola and candy bars. The quality and abundance of the food provided was above what I had anticipated for a back country hunt. A shower and a latrine were in each main camp. On both trips, mechanical problems were experienced with either the boat motors or the argos. In each incident the problems were repaired and my hunt was not impacted.

On my 2005 hunt I got a small caribou on the next to the last day. The hunting conditions were not ideal due to weather and animal movements. I felt that my guide did put in 100% effort during the entire trip. Even though the animal I got was not as big as I had hoped I enjoyed myself during the trip and I felt that I worked very hard in order to take that animal. My second hunt was originally booked for September 2007. A week before I was scheduled to leave the trip was canceled by Les Krank. Due to unforeseen problems with guides, he felt that he could not provide a satisfactory hunt to me for that year. This trip was rescheduled for 2008. I feel that this cancellation was a sign of the outfitter's integrity. An unscrupulous outfitter would have allowed me to hunt in 2007 anyway, thus fulfilling the contract even though I would not have had a good hunt. In 2008 I took a black bear and a brown bear. Again I was impressed by my guide's abilities and I ended up having the best hunt of my life to date. I have had two positive experiences with this outfitter and I plan on returning for future hunts.

I have read some negative reviews posted on web sites concerning this outfitter. I have not experienced anything that these posts describe. I feel that perhaps some of these individuals were not prepared for the harsh conditions that are experienced in Alaska. Alaska is an environment that is different and harsher than what is experienced in the lower 48 states. Alaska Bush Adventures advertises and sells hunts that take place in the remote bush of Alaska. In these areas comforts like beds, running water and refrigeration do not exist. For some people this is a foreign concept. They are used to comfortable beds and luxurious meals served in great lodges. In remote Alaska the hunting is fair chase against some of the most challenging conditions to be found. Alaska is not for everyone and for some it is far beyond their physical and mental limitations."

Bernie Davis

WTF!!??

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Him and a few other rump rangers have like posts scattered throughout the 'Fire

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 673, 1minute, 29aholic, 805, 16 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 990 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,935
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.