Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
How does the remington 597 compare to the ruger 10/22? I am looking for a simple but reliable semi auto for shooting and I dont want feeding, jamming, or trigger issues. Thanks

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
10/22 without a doubt. Its got to be the simplest designed auto loader made. If left as it comes rarely will you have any trouble. Rugers magazine design has to be one of the best ever.

WarDamnEagle
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have quite a few 10/22s
They all shoot have lots of cool stuff you can buy or just shoot as it is. I love 10/22s I bought a 597 never shot it and than bought a pink laminated one for my girl friend.Right out of box it literally blew parts out of the action.Took it back to Gander the 3third time (it didnt have 7 rounds through it) I wouldnt take it back. I took a all weather 10/22 instead. I dumped the other one I had in the box never shot.

That being said one of my friends bought his nephews one each no problems

But still I wount own one

The first 10/22 I believe was made 1964 still desired tell you something?

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Look up "POS" in the dictionary...it'll have a picture of a 597...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

That's the most factual remark about a gun that I've read in quite some time.

WarDamnEagle
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never see a 597 that ran anywhere near as well as a 10/22. Plus the Ruger has more after market parts avaiable then porbly any gun ever made.

Go Ruger and dont look back

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not consider a Marlin 60?

Box stock, my opinion is it's a better gun than a 10/22. Now if your planning on changing things up, than the Ruger is the way to go.

Life is just one damned thing after another
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry but I cant stand tubular mags. I had one as a kid.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I bought my son a 597 when they first came out and even splurged and got the wood stock. Biggest POS 22 this family has ever owned. It is a true jam-omatic and not very accurate. Buy the 10-22 and never think about a 597 again. Remington should be ashamed of ever making that rifle.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Go with the Ruger and don't look back!!!...........................Hillbilly.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Go with the Ruger and don't look back!!!...........................Hillbilly.
+1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Looks like I'm the exception, but I have (only) one of both.
The 10/22 IS dead nuts reliable--ALWAYS goes "boom" but accuracy to my mind is lousy--best I can ever do is 1.25" at 50 yds and more likely 1.5", and I have tried over 20 different ammo's through it. Also, trigger is lousy and I can't stand the "clunk-kachunk" of the action when it cycles. Bear in mind it's a 1998 International. There's also a reason there is a cottage industry on them.

Rem. 597--mine is the TVPSS has been deadnuts reliable too. Best part is the accuracy, I got down to .7" at 50 yds with the same 3x9X32mm old Simmons on it as the Ruger. The action also cycles much more smoothly, trigger pull is the same but much less creep. However, it did spit out the extractor with a ruptured case too after about 3000 rounds--not sure if the gun or bogus round from Remington. (FYI< switched to CCI ammo for most plane jane shooing last year) $12.00 later for an extractor from Rem and it's been good for another 1000 rounds or so.
Also like the Rem. because, if you are a tinkerer at all, it is really easy to work on and you can get the trigger pull down to 3 lb or less by yourself, or spend @ $50 for a VQ hammer for the same result and no tinkering.
Course, I did have to go buy a VQ bbl. for the Rem, and now have a few groups down to .3" at 50 yds. for 3 to 5 shots.

By the way, bought the Remmy because it also fits my build better--feels like a full size rifle.
Shoot, didn't mention price either--depends too on what model of each ou want. Don't know what you're looking to spend, but here's a pic of the 597
[Linked Image]

Why not see if you can borrow or hit up some buddies to try each for a session or so and see what feels best for you?

Last edited by SteveS; 06/12/10.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D

Ingwe

This is weird... I just looked it up and there was a picture of a 10/22!

You make a noise..., Mr. Forty-Four makes a noise, and his five little friends run a lot faster than you do!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Rems. are OK. Better service has come from rugars. my out of box rugs. have been more accurate and dependable.
Guess thats why i have
1-597
7-10/22's
1-AMT lightening rugar clone great shooter smile These are not made any more. finding one would bet a good investment

IF grasshoppers carried 45's Big birds wouldn't fool with them Guns are like jello, theres always room for more!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. Pretty hard to argue with the Ruger's (relative) reliability. But I find it interesting that so many could be so displeased with the 597 - apparently not giving it the same chance for reliability that the Ruger famously needs for accuracy.

The 597 had some serious problems with the early mags, which has been fixed with current mags. The extractor isn't really good. YOu can replace the extractor easily with a VQ and cure that problem. The VQ hammer gives the 597 a real good trigger pull and is also and easy switch. Other problems have been found to be related to over-tightening the allen bolts that hold the rear of the recoil rods. All this stuff easily fixed.

But they have been consistently accurate rifles, whereas the Ruger has not been without at least a barrel swap - and then the stock trigger needs work and there are other [bleep] problems with accuracy as well.

My son's nearly stock (except for extractor and hammer) 597 is at least as accurate and reliable as my very hot-rodded 10/22 (which I sold) was. I'm a Ruger stockholder, but I'd have to say if I was in the market for another semi-auto rimfire, I'd go to the 597 first.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by huffman1
1-AMT lightening rugar clone great shooter smile These are not made any more. finding one would bet a good investment

Since you brought it up... I agree 100% on the AMT. I know there are those out there that have had problems with the Lightening's but I have heard more praise than the other.

Thought I would post a pix of my AMT Bulls Eye Target Model. I don't know how long or how many of these were ever made as I have an old advertising pamphlet that list it but I never saw them at a dealer's or anywhere. I ordered mine off of the old Shotgun News in the day (long before the internet!) and I sure wished I would have ordered at least two. Everyone that sees it, wants it! It is one of my favorites that I shoot in competition and I can't tell the difference in accuray - over bags, between this and my Browning Medalist or S&W Model 41! I really like the way it looks with the bull barrel and the vented rib (like the Medalist). I also had our local hero here, Mr. Harrett, make me up some custom fitted grips for it.

Please take a look...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry about the cheap camera/crummy pix! Anybody else out there with one...???

You make a noise..., Mr. Forty-Four makes a noise, and his five little friends run a lot faster than you do!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought my 42 year old 10-22 had lost it's accuracy, turns out it was the the cheap Federal bulk ammo I was feeding it. Dipped into my hoard of Winchester Super-X and dang if that old beat up 10/22 didn't sparkle like it was new.

Top picture is the Federal group on the right, Winchester Super-X on the left. Range is only 25 yards but with a cheap 4X Bushnell scope it put 7 out of 10 rounds in well under 1/2", and I can claim the flyers were probably due to the 9 pound plus trigger pull.

[Linked Image]

This next picture is a new 10/22 Target model shot at 50 yards. That first group in upper left was to see where it was hitting. Group started off good so I put all 10 rounds into it. That's a .465" 50 yard group, again without target quality ammo, just regular Winchester Super-X high velocity stuff. The other group here is made up of a couple of shots each while tweaking the scope adjustments.

[Linked Image]

Once went 5 years straight deliberately not cleaning the 10/22 carbine to see what would happen. If fed, fired, extracted and ejected perfectly during that time even with the receiver clogged full of thousands upon thousands of rounds worth of .22 lube and crap. It had two failures to fire in 5 years but both times were due to bad ammo.

I'm sold on the 10/22. It will go down as a classic. Hell, it already is an American Classic.

Attached Images
1022 Carbine (3).jpg (89.87 KB, 524 downloads)

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Ingwe

plus one on that statement...

I am not necessarily a big fan of the 10/22.... but it certainly is a lot better set up than the 597....

Remington canned some very nice semi auto 22s, to bring out that POS...

myself? I am a bolt action guy..

Last edited by Seafire; 06/29/10.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have never even handled a 597 so I can not comment on that one. I have shot 10-22's since I was a kid and always thought they were great. Fun to shoot, handy little rifle, and reliable like all Rugers.
Then I bought my son one for Christmas 10 or 12 years ago. It would jam constantly. It provided us with a display of every type of jam imaginable, stove pipes were a favorite, but we got jams where the empty did not clear the action and the next round wedged in there next to it, failures to feed...click-nothing, empty chamber, you name it. I tried everything I could think of to make the rifle run, gave up and sent it back to Ruger. When we got it back it was better, but still jams occasionally. There can be no argument that the 10-22 is an immensely popular firearm and I'm sure that reputation is well deserved, but the one I bought my son is a card-carrying POS and I'll never buy another.
My favorite semi-auto .22 rifle is the Thompson Center Classic. I have owned two of them and both were 100 percent reliable and very accurate. One of them was the Benchmark model, a fat barreled target rifle, and it was ridiculously accurate. If I get the itch for another semi-auto I will buy another T/C. But like one of the other posters here, I mostly just shoot bolt guns now.
my $0.02

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (1badf350, 470Evans, 16penny, 44mc, 405winash, 35, 17 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,651
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.