Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
With one son named "jr" and the other dubbed "catfish" I dont find that far fetched.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It worked the one time I was desperate.
Win 25.06, Every load grouped 2 1/2" or bigger.
Bedded the action, no help, free floated the barrel, got worse.
Re-bedded a pressure point in the fore end , not better.
Free floated the barrel and put on a de-resonator. Bingo!
That got it shooting much better but, dang they're ugly.
Sold it to a buddy who immediately pulled it off, but he hasn't shot the rifle since.
He likes to own things, not necessarily use them.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have told this story before in another De-Resonator thread (yes, there have been others):

The only guy I've seen with a DR on his barrel in the field was in my camp on a guided elk hunt in Colorado a few years ago. He was what I call a "two-number" guy, since he was always bragging both about the range and antler score of animals he shot, as in, "I shot a 327 bull at 542 yards."

On that hunt he gut-shot a raghorn bull at around 250 yards and missed a cow completely at 150. So maybe there is more to field shooting than a De-Resonator....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Was he shooting one of these? grin
[Linked Image]

Last edited by podunkkennels; 07/03/10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I call a "two-number" guy, since he was always bragging both about the range and antler score of animals he shot, as in, "I shot a 327 bull at 542 yards."

I despise the "two-number" guys. I'd rather be forced to watch an old Penn's Woods television show than to spend 30 seconds with a "number-two" guy.

The first year that I hunted in Saskatchewan, a group of three hunters traveling together showed in camp with DR's. One of the guys had TWO of them affixed! We all gathered around for site in, and, after watching them attempt to shoot, It became readily apparent that they were the only three guys in the world that used the DR because they thought it looked cool. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

M
M
Hi Folks:

I tried one of these a while back on my 270 Weatherby Vanguard.It does work at times,at other times it will make things worse too. For the average person who doesn't reload or would not consider modifying their rifle for what ever reason,they can at times offer better groups when used as directed. I took an unmodified Weatherby and tried a few different factory loads through it using it as directed and the groups shrank some. 1 particular group by almost 50%,so to say they are just a gimmick or not work in all cases isn't true.

On the flip side of this I have also seen when these are used on a rifle already getting respectable accuracy the groups open up as well.This is why I think there is a lot of criticism about them,cause a-lot of folks thought they would cut their group sizes in half in all cases,and we all know that what works for one person may not work for another.

They are ugly and there is no question about it,and also a PITA to put on or take off unless you use some type of oil to aid in the process,but,for those seeking a easy way to tame a poor shooting rifle without investing a whole lot of money they might be worth a try. I look at them now as a diagnostic tool,and advise those who have them to make some type of a more permanent solution to their rifle if they plan on keeping it.If these actually change a persons group to the better,then getting the rifle bedded properly will most likely be the best solution.Anyone can accomplish the same results with a free floated barrel with a soft bed inside the stock,where you don't have that ugly thing hanging off your barrel.

Food for thought.

Mac

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just sayin', if a guy was goin' on the hunt of a lifetime, and could only afford one or the other, which would ya get, the camo hot seat,or the deresonator? Leanin' towards the deresonator because I think it would work as a toilet plunger in hunting camp, but will consider all advice.

Fred

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
$5 ass blaster fart heated warming cushion for sure, half the price of a de resonater AND it keeps your buns toasty.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Besides what the nay-sayers think/say I like mine and it works on my .257 wby.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like mine, too.....

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don, TFF!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huntsman-

Did you use peanut butter as lube to slide it on the tube? grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SKane
...lube to slide it on the tube? grin

Ive heard that somewhere before.... whistle

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm going to have to get a butt out tool now. In case I need to quickly remove the DR from my barrel I can use the butt out tool.

I'm going to paint mine pink too...and talk with a lisp at the rifle range.

I lost my pride and sense of humor a long long time ago. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I consider myself a tolerant, live and let live type of guy
I can overlook any number of different types of behavior, personal flaws or religious conviction, and I don't care if somebody wants to wear a Leopard Print thong.
But Damnit, there is a limit.
Anybody shows up in my camp with a rifle wearing one of those things and one of us is leaving.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Tracks
I consider myself a tolerant, live and let live type of guy
I can overlook any number of different types of behavior, personal flaws or religious conviction, and I don't care if somebody wants to wear a Leopard Print thong.
But Damnit, there is a limit.
Anybody shows up in my camp with a rifle wearing one of those things and one of us is leaving.

I gotta say....lol....that was funny. My tolerance is a lot less for a leopard print thong than a barrel DR.

Now if you don a wool filson thong...grab a chair, dinner is ready soon.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1234, 1badf350, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 17,766 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,892
Posts18,538,598
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.