-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got me a new play toy. I am taking her out today and hit some trails. Picked her up for about $5000 under book. Anyone used the Goodyear MT/R tires. The spare is that tire and looks awesome. The guy that had this put passenger tires on it. It has very low miles. Knows of any good jeep websites to buy a few add ons? Winch? Mats and such??

[Linked Image]

2005 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON

MSRP: $28,825

Engine: 190hp 4.0L electronically fuel-injected inline-six

Transmission: 6spd manual; 4spd automatic (opt)

Transfer Case: NV241 Rock-Trac (4:1 ratio)

Axles: Dana 44 w/ air-actuated Tru-Lok differentials

Brakes: 4-wheel vented disc

Wheelbase: 103.4 in.

Fuel Capacity: 19 gals.

EPA mpg City/Hwy: 16/20

Curb weight: 3,721 lbs.

Towing capacity: 3,500 lbs

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a great model and is one of the most desireable in my book. You get the manual or auto tranny?

Quadratec is your friend for parts and accessories. They will send you a free color catalog if you visit the website. JCWhitney also has a lot of parts.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Its a manual 6 speed. I dont like automatics

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Nice find! MTR's are good tires. The design has changed some compared to what came stock on that Jeep. Friend of mine put on some different goodyears that are still aggressive but run a little quieter on the road and more budget friendly. I don't remember what they are called but the only place he found them was at Walmart. Personally I would put on BFG's. Either way, having your mud tires siped is a big help.

Have Fun!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nice.....have wanted a Rubicon since they first came out and still want one of the first generation ones....just havent come to terms with paying that much for one im gonna beat the hell out of....i bought a 78 CJ5 a lil while back to tide me over till the price comes down some more and ill pick up one someone got than decided not to do a damn thing with grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We took her in the mountains today. Nicest day we have had in about a month. Got just a little mud on her. Did get to see some of GOD's beautiful handy work.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nice looking country, where abouts you at?

here is the country my CJ5 will see......rocks few and far between....lots and lots of clay......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
These are taken in Bonner and Boundary county Idaho. Boundary is the last county before entering BC Canada

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice! That's just about what I'd like to pick up... extra wheelbase so I fit a little better and can haul more stuff. I am up in the air on the Rubi... I like the D44s with locking diffs, but I'm pretty sure I would like a regular 2.72:1 transfer case rather than the 4:1 that the Rubi has. And a lighter color, because working out of black and dark blue work trucks in the SoCal desert is pi$$ing me off.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 4:1 low is awesome in Rocks, but tougher to use in general off roading. The 2:1 is way better in general off roading but not anywhere near as good climbing boulders.

The 4:1 lets you use really tall tires, unfortunately the Rubicon model only prepared the vehicle for half ( the most expensive half) of the complete package. They provide the gearing but not the tire clearance.

With a 4" lift and 35" tires that Rubicon Gear ratio comes to life and fills every off road need I can think of. The final drive going from 30" tires to 35" tire with the 4:1 ratio is a winning combination.

However, you then have to consider what the 2high ratio is for on road use with those 35" tires? It's often better to have the diff's lower ( higher in ratio) then increase tire diameter. That allows perfect on road and off road use. Otherwise you only have the tall tire advantage in 4 Low range, and far too much over drive in High range.

Auto makers cannot do the axle ratio changes now because of fuel economy standards. Low axle ratios mean horrible economy with stock 30" tires. So they opt for the 4:1 off road transfer case. They can avoid the economy restrictions mandated because this is not a highway selection, it's off road only.

If I had my way I would choose lower axles and the 2:1(ish) transfer case. The 4:1 is only good for special off road situations, or a whole lot of shifting when off road. I think the 4:1 might be a great option for an Automatic Transmission that handled all the shifting for you.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Are you able to lock the differentials in 4 high? I looked into buying one of these in 2006, and remember finding some info on how to splice into the wiring to do this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cannot imagine not being able to lock the diffs in 4 High?

All the Toyotas in RSA with diff lock can, all ARB's can too. Even my Yamaha Grizzly ATV can. What would be the point of diff lock if you cannot lock it in High range?

with a 4:1 Xfr case and only diff lock in Low range, Wow that is a massive limitation in my opinion.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
On my Tacoma you can only lock the diff. in 4-lo

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice ride IEH. One of these is on my 'to buy' list. I have had numerous wranglers, but the standard length ones never seem big enough to carry all of my cargo. The Rubicon is the obvious choice for off road. I had a wrangler with the MT/Rs on it, and they functioned great. Have fun with it.

Ready, Fire, Aim
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The geniuses at Chrysler decided that the rubi lockers shouldn't be able to be activated in 4hi (the new JKs are this way, dunno about TJs). It can be gonna around pretty easily(it's all just programmed in), in fact one of the aftermarket engine chips allows you to do it.

JJHack, I agree completely on the gearing issue. The 2.7 t-case gearing is much better for most offroading than 4.0 . If I were building up a wrangler, I'd say 2.7 T-case, with 35" rubber and 4.56s or 4.88s. That, and a pair of ARB or OX lockers.

Last edited by T3hk1w1; 06/30/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JMR40 - you can override that switch on your Tacoma and be able to use in both Hi an Lo range.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I cannot imagine not being able to lock the diffs in 4 High?

From your post above this one I thought you must of owned a Rubicon, I guess not.

First off it's very easy to get around this just change a few wires and your good to go lock it up high or low at any speed. Now on the 4.1 T case just use third and fourth instead of first and second, no big deal and works great.

I have a 06 Rubicon, 01 sahara and a 97 se, and the 4.1 TC in the rubi is definitely the best way to go.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got it rewired. I can lock it in 4 high, 2 high 4 low at any speed. I am loving it!!

Got a 2 inch lift and new shocks. Got net 32 inch MTR's ordered.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hope you got a spring lift, OME or RC and not a budget boost.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 79 invisible), 3,049 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,353
Posts18,487,900
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.