Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Whent riding to day. we where about 13 miles in and without warning my horse takes a big fart jump fowered, but i dident go with her i was so relaxed i stade wright at the seen of the crash. broke my wrist in two places. I will for ever remember what i did wrong. the horse was not at falt I was.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep,use the saddle as a seat instead of a tool and sooner or later it happens to eveyone

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I like your attitude, most folks would blame the horse. I take some folks for their first rides & I tell them to always be the pilot never the passenger! Hope you heal quickly.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have seen this so many times. I saw a girl break her arm in 6 places once. As the horse side steped a mud puddle, she lost her balance, tried to use the reins to hold on with. Horse reard up, dumped her off on the spot. She did blame the horse, swore it was crazy. I was right behind her when it happned. 10 minutes prior to this accident, I had warned her about riding "loose legged" not putting any pressure on her stirrups, heels down, to which she commented that it made her knees hurt.

It was a very expensive accident for her family.

Last edited by keith; 06/27/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cousins girl just got out of the hospital. Strange horse at a friends place got to bucking, she bailed as he got close to the fence and broke her leg and hip.
I caught the pommel on my pubic bone when my mule jumped into me as I was mounting up this spring. Spent a week in the hospital with a broken pelvis and all the muscles torn off. 6 weeks on a walker will give a guy time to think it over!
Their all 4 legged accidents waiting to happen.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys are making my yammers seem better all the time. grin

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
but there are no gas stations in the mountains, but plenty of brouse. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
By yammer, I mean llama (pronounced yama in Spanish). Don't need a gas station. They get by nicely on sagebrush and pine needles.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know how many times I grabbed the saddle horn and held on for dear life. I don't know what these English riders do?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike
I don't know how many times I grabbed the saddle horn and held on for dear life. I don't know what these English riders do?

Notice that they wear helmets? They need them.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good point!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks diden't know that, thought you were talking 4 wheeler. still prefer horse that can outrun a Bear. eek grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike

If your finding your grabbing for your horn, you'd be better off with one of these. Doesn't throw your balance off so much and provides a better handhold.

Personally I don't use one, but a few friends have them on and they really like them.

http://www.horsethink.com/grab_strap_western.htm

Life is just one damned thing after another
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Horns are for dallying or such. They are not hand holds. Keep weight in the stirrups, and a balanced ride,and one doesn't need to be grabbing horn.I seriously dought if a horse goes to picthing bad, grabbing the horn will help much, but keeping a good seat and weight on the stirrups will. Once all your balanced is attached to the horn,instead of where it should be, chances are better than even that you are going to come off

Keeping a loop on the horn to grab seems like bad idea, especially if your hand gets caught up in it and you do leave the horse.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couldn't agree more, but the night latches aren't meant to wrap your hands into. A simple grip, although yes if used incorrectly could complicate your problems.

They're also off to the side to help maintain your balance and not throw it off like if you would grab for the horn. As pointed out, the horn isn't there for a handhold and if your reaching for it and think it's going to save you, than more than likely your going off.

Other than complete novices, most horse related accidents with experienced horseman(women) are caused by people relaxing to much and not paying attention.

Life is just one damned thing after another
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had a big palimino that would spook at any man made objects along the trail. He come across something he didn't like, he would stop, do an 180 and head back in less than a half second. You learn real quick the importance of sitting proper in the saddle, or you find your self on your back watching him go the other way.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pat85
Had a big palimino that would spook at any man made objects along the trail. He come across something he didn't like, he would stop, do an 180 and head back in less than a half second.

He'd be a really good keyhole horse!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Pat85
Had a big palimino that would spook at any man made objects along the trail. He come across something he didn't like, he would stop, do an 180 and head back in less than a half second.

He'd be a really good keyhole horse!

I didn't mind some of his quirks because that old boy could flat out walk.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mules are noted for spinning/jumping sideways and backing off for a few feet to look at the bugger rather than just running off. If you don't ride one proper 100% of the time chances are better than even that you will get left off.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I refer to my nightlatch as my "oh-[bleep]" strap! Mainly use it in steep uphill spots to keep pulled down into the saddle when the going is so steep that the horse needs to lunge forward to keep going up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (Buckshot5, Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, 6 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,592
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.