Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I just purchased a Leupold VX-III riflescope, and am having problem sighting in. I am shooting 1"low @100yds., but can't elevate any higher. Rings, mounts appear ok (gunsmith installed). Suggestions?

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd take it back to your "smith" and have him diagnose the problem. Odviously the mounts and rings aren't pointing the scope anywhere near the target with the scope's adjustments near the center.
Could be the rifle was drilled and tapped way off center, the installation could be faulty or it could be a bad scope.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mdjamesh
I just purchased a Leupold VX-III riflescope, and am having problem sighting in. I am shooting 1"low @100yds., but can't elevate any higher. Rings, mounts appear ok (gunsmith installed). Suggestions?

Are your front bases thicker than the rear bases? Model of rifle? Just a stupid guess but can you swap the front base to the rear & the rear to the front?
Didn't the "Gunsmith" notice he was running out of adjustment when he bore sighted?

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 07/04/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bases/rings are not parallel to the bore.
I doubt your smith is a thorough with this as I am.
I have a entire step by step on the way I do it, this is just one with the bore measuring jig installed in the front ring.

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. Bases, Rings all Leupold. Don't think bases can be interchanged, switched. Could the rings be backwards? Just a thought.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I use one piece mounts to avoid such confusion. But I believe Ted Thorns got the right idea.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. Bases, Rings all Leupold. Don't think bases can be interchanged, switched. Could the rings be backwards? Just a thought.

I've never owned a model 70 so I couldn't tell you whether they can be switched or not, but since you're gonna have to take the scope off anyway, an easy way to check would be to remove the upper rings, scope & bolt...then lay the gun on a steady rest where you can bore sight it at something about 100 yds. away. Then, just lay a straw in the cradle of the lower rings, back off a few couple feet & see if they are both seeming to point at the same vertical inclination point.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. Bases, Rings all Leupold. Don't think bases can be interchanged, switched..
Oh, yes they can.. Saw it myself about 4 months ago.. Customer brought in a rifle he couldn't get on paper. He'd installed the bases/rings himself.. When he handed me the rifle I noticed the scope was angled upwards at the bell by about 15 degrees..He had the bases switched.. For a few days afterward I had some serious bruises from pinching myself to keep from laughing..

That said, I doubt your instance is the problem. Take it back to your smith and have him/her center the scope adjustments and then take a reading with the bore sighter.. It's possible one of the bases might have to be shimmed in order to get things better in line..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll go along with "take it back to the smith". If you bought the scope from him or he charged you to mount it, he should have done a cursory bore sight.
If you start tinkering with it, he can always blame everything on you.

Aim for the exit hole.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Take it back to a smith who did a [bleep] up job the first time?
I'd never let him touch another one of mine...ymmv

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Don't think bases can be interchanged, switched.
As Redneck pointed out, they can be. The screw spacing is the same front or back. One easy way to know is the rear base should be about twice as thick as the front. This is to accommodate the front portion of the receiver being higher in relation to the bore as the rear. If you look at your rifle you should be able to quickly see if the front or rear base is thicker. I have a notion that is your problem. If so, be sure the correct length screws are used or the bolt won't close. The longer screws go with the thicker rear base.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Could be the rifle was drilled and tapped way off center
Not in the case of an issue with elevation. Out of square mount holes does happen and will result in a windage issue. I had that problem with a late production Model 70.

or it could be a bad scope.
But....but.....it's a Leupold! wink
I doubt it's the scope.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

Who's Online Now
530 members (222ND, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,485
Posts18,529,727
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.