Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

If it's not a weapon mounted light or for personal protection I run a regular brightness LED light. I use it to light up a trail or general use, but I can still see when I turn it off too.

I agree.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'd suggest looking at Fenix, Inova, Pelican, and Streamlight for an affordable, dependable flashlight.
80-100 lumens is as much light as most people will ever need IMO. If you want more output than that I would suggest a multi-function light with lower settings( a good idea regardless).
Many better quality LED flashlights run on CR123 batteries. These can be found in grocery stores, walmart, and sporting goods stores but tend to cost $10-15 per pair. However, some stores such as bass pro shops, and many stores online, sell surefire-branded cr123s for much less, like $4 a pair.

I primarily use an Inova T1. Nearly 4 1/2 hours run time at 100 lumens, is small enough to carry comfortably in my pocket, and is a very rugged design.

Last edited by T3hk1w1; 07/04/10. Reason: spelling...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

If it's not a weapon mounted light or for personal protection I run a regular brightness LED light. I use it to light up a trail or general use, but I can still see when I turn it off too.

I agree.

I agree too, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, and you do not have to compromise...

In my opinion the BEST solution to this problem is to buy a quality light that is programmable.

Almost all of my lights are programed to turn on at under 10 lumens, followed by around 40 lumens, followed by full power.

It's really easy and convenient to have the light you want with just the click of a button.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had a three cell and a AA Mag Light for so long I can't remember when I bought them (sometime during the 1980's). They have yet to fail.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
wow. thanks for all the options to look at guys. like stated i think anything over 200 lumens in a hand held or pack flashlight is too much.

i really like the dorcy that someone posted. the fact it will still take AAAs is what i like. simple and cheap. I understand that some of theese batteries are way better than the standard alkaline batteries. What good does that do me when i cant find them in a gas station or grocerie store and i dont know of any trees i can plug a charger into in the woods.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gear whores, and particularly those that are fan boys of Sure Fire products, just can't get enough.

To me, a light is a light........

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Flashlight prices seem to be driven by two things...brand recognition and where they're made. People recognize Surefire and Maglight. Cree, not so much. USA made will cost you.

Forget Maglights. They were and are a very rugged light. IMO their technology sucks though. They are easily outperformed by a $7 Sam's Clube Chinese LED. Maglights with LED technology are better, but not reliable, IMO.

Surefire's are top-shelf, but no better than a lot of cheaper lights. They have the advantage of making many of their models here. You can't go wrong with one, but you can pay too much.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5379

I've got one of the above and it is excellent. It is also lost. I hate to recommend one above Surefire, but it is as good thus far and cost a whole lot less. I can't imagine that it costs THAT much less to manufacture overseas.

Another brand I personally avoid is Streamlight. I've had a number of them and I don't think they are reliable. They used to be made here and the Scorpion was cheaper than Surefire's Nitrolon which is made in China. These were incandescents though and the last I knew, Streamlights were mainly made in China.

For doing this quickly and cheaply, just go to Sam's Club and pick up a couple of these.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=132894

They are not the most reliable in the world, but work good with fresh batteries and are cheap. I bought two awhile back for $14. They even come with batteries.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I run hog dogs at night all the time and I have never owned a friggin LED. I have av energiser head light and several maglights including a mini thats in my pocket all the time. The same maglite I use to see with has also been used to discipline dogs, dispatch numerous dog caught varmints from armadillos to pigs and diffuse many confrontations. I dont see the point in carrying one of those tiny lights you cant whack anything with.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used the mini mag AA for the longest time,I'm an electrician and it's nice to have a flashlight on my belt when ever I need it,but the only reason I haven't upgraded is the thing won't die.but it does fluctuate in performance and sometimes I have to give it a smack to get it working right.

for working in crawl spaces and attics I picked up an Energizer head lamp,runs on 3 AAA's and it has 2 modes, 2 white LED's or 1 red LED,I use the red for walking to and from my stand and it doesn't affect my night vision.it was only about 15 bucks too.

I am waiting for my mini mag to crap out and then I'm going LED,they are a real leap forward in flashlights.

http://www.energizer.com/_layouts/d...g/work/work/large/HD33A1EN_yellow_LG.jpg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on what you want out of it. If I want something to swing at hogs that happens to throw some light to I'll get a Maglite.

But if I want a really good light it'll be something else.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the only reason I haven't upgraded is I'm too cheap

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But my opinions are shaped my my experience. When I was working night shift on patrol I carried a light on my Glock, a small backup and a regular light. There were times when we were out looking for somebody that I'd run through the charges on several lights. It's all fun and games until you're walking a bad guy back to your car, a mile away down train tracks and through a field, and your light goes dead. (Didn't happen to me, but did the officer that was with me, and he was glad I had an extra.)

At that point you start re-examining the quality of light you buy.

Now that I just need a light to keep in the truck or crawl in the attic I just use whatever is handy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd second the ColeYounger's opinions about Streamlight. I used a rechargeable Stinger for a while but there's a lot better lights for less money out there now.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Quit being cheap and get one of these---have several and short of the HID (I have a couple of those)these make the others pale...
http://www.elektrolumens.com/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ADK4Rick,

I've got an LED minimag light and I have to smack it to get it running too. The Cabela's lights I linked are way brighter and the same size / same batteries for only $30. If you watch they'll come up on sale. I got mine for about $17 I think, which is comparable to a minimag LED.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i'll have to sell a kidney first eek

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
www.malkoffdevices.com

Made in America by the Malkoff family. Good people, good stuff. And you can actually call him on the phone and talk to him.

I have put his drop-ins in all my maglites.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
information overload. lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used lots of lights, made my own and depending on it's intended purpose have decided on a Home Depot Copper top looking flashlight. Great size for fanny pack, pocket, etc. Uses 3 AAA batteries and gives off plenty of illumination. They are about $24 each but that is what I have used for the past 2 years for tracking and walking in and out of my Elk hunting area in Colorado. Check it out, it's really a nice little light.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can recommend a Gerber Firecracker. I have two. I think only one AA battery. Fits in your shirt pocket for under $20. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 59 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,360
Posts18,488,046
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.