Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Other than nostalgia aspect. What is so special about the 300 H&H? Cartridge shape appears to be somewhat inefficient although in a bolt action functioning might be a little better. Balistics across most bullet weights appear to be somewhere between the 30:06 and 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM. Just asking. Thanks in advance.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Factory ballistics are deceiving. The .300 H&H case has just about exactly the same powder capacity as the .300 WSM, so can be handloaded to match it.

s for inefficiency, a well-known gunsmith did an experiment a few years ago, chambering a barrel for the .300 H&H and then running a bunch of pressure tests with a strain gauge, using various powders and bullets. Then he rechambered the barrel for the .300 WSM and ran the same tests, using the same powders and bullets. Velocities and pressures were essentially identical, as were deviations.

It also does indeed feed more slickly than any other .300 magnum in a bolt action. So aside from nostalgia, it's a very good cartridge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And, it has a belt.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
like a proper magnum....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Uh-oh somebodies gonna get pizzed off about that one....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is just a very cool nostalgic caliber. It may not be the biggest or the fastest but it is the oldest and most pleasant to shoot. Besides, it is something different that not everyone has.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Back awhile ago I had a 300 Win Mag, a 300H&H,and a 300 Weatherby....all at the same times...Please don't ask why....

I noticed then that the H&H round was easily the milder recoiling,and was very accurate out to 600 yards,more so than the other two that both wore custom barrels,so there was no issue with any of these rifles being at any disadvantage, one over the other.The more I shot the H&H and the other two,the more this became apparent.

At the same time I noted the velocities with 180 gr bullets and the H&H gave around 3090,the Winchester about 3100 or a bit over,and the Weatherby about 3150-3200.There was not much difference here, either as to trajectory,since out to 600 yards they all seemed to me very much the same.Because of their greater capacity the Win and Weatherby are both capable of more vel,but still they are all very close to one another unless you really stomp on the accelerator.

Of course being a younger shooter at the time my addled brain could not accept that the H&H lagged only fractionally behind the other two,and I went on to do a lot of hunting with the 300 Win Mag and the Weatherby.

But over time I came to appreciate the H&H round for its' effortless feeding in the rifles I had,it's great accuracy and better manners.As JB alludes to, I remember chronographing a bunch of 300H&H ammo one day,all handloads,and ran a 10 shot string where velocity never varied more than 10 fps.LR shootes have since educated me that this is very important,what they strive for,in shooting very long distances to prevent vertical dispersion.I never got the same results from the Weatherby nor the 300 Winchester.This may be why I always got such good results from the H&H round.

Also as JB points out above, 300H&H and the 300WSM are much the same near as I can tell and remind me of Danny DeVito and Arnold Shwarzenagger in the movie "Twins".... very much the same thing in a different shaped package. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It also does indeed feed more slickly than any other .300 magnum in a bolt action. So aside from nostalgia, it's a very good cartridge.[/quote]

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
To say why bother with the 300 H&H is like no different than asking why bother with the 7x57mm Mauser. Nostalgia, field performance, wanting to shoot a cartridge with a history... It's just a hunter's personal preference over more modern cartridges.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
And, it has a belt.

Good! I don't shoot anything that doesn't have one....jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One thing that's going on here that not many "modern" shooters realize (or accept) is that for a cartridge to still be around so long after it was introduced means that it WORKS.

I have long since been convinced that most humans do not learn from history. Most are convinced that anything that happened before their lifetime (or even the past 10 years) is simply irrelevant. Which is why we have many shooters who wonder why anybody would hunt with an out-dated cartridge like the 7x57 or .300 H&H.

Part of this , of course, is the fault of the modern shooting press, which spreads the word about the vast superiority of anything new. This isn't to say there aren't some definite improvements in modern products, but to claim, for instance, that somehow the .300 WSM is a vastly better hunting round than the .300 H&H based on theoretical advantages in case shape is a prime example of advertising hype, a kind of modern brain-washing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks JB...

I used the .300 H&H for years, it was my favorite ever elk cartridge. For whatever reason, real world performance seemed far better than the paper statistics showed.
I used a .300 Win Mag. for more years on elk, but the H&H was way cooler... cool

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone wrote one time that other than the 222/223 style cartridges there really hasn't been much cartridge advancement at all since the 270Win was introduced.

I tend to agree.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Most are convinced that anything that happened before their lifetime (or even the past 10 years) is simply irrelevant.

In a very different context recently I heard this described as "chronological snobbery." I'm hanging on to that term.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One thing that's going on here that not many "modern" shooters realize (or accept) is that for a cartridge to still be around so long after it was introduced means that it WORKS.

I have long since been convinced that most humans do not learn from history. Most are convinced that anything that happened before their lifetime (or even the past 10 years) is simply irrelevant. Which is why we have many shooters who wonder why anybody would hunt with an out-dated cartridge like the 7x57 or .300 H&H.

Part of this , of course, is the fault of the modern shooting press, which spreads the word about the vast superiority of anything new. This isn't to say there aren't some definite improvements in modern products, but to claim, for instance, that somehow the .300 WSM is a vastly better hunting round than the .300 H&H based on theoretical advantages in case shape is a prime example of advertising hype, a kind of modern brain-washing.

Well said and true IMHO wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
What's so special about the .300 H&H?

Nowadays, not much other than the fact it just works. And has since 1925.

Truly, the modern Super Ultra Super Short Blah Blah cartridges have left me cold. Mebbe I'm just getting immune to advertising in my GOF phase...

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Now... what is available in an over the counter rifle? Ruger 1S, CZ and a few pre 64's? Of course there is the "build" concept too.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Well said and true IMHO wink

+1,000,000

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I

All this applies to the .300 Weatherby, which was introduced in 1944, I believe. The Weatherby is definitely not a "new" cartridge. I like it better because it's easier to find cases and ammo and, after all, it's more powerful. The H&H is said to feed easily but I've never had the slightest problem with a .300 Weatherby feeding, or a 30-06 or .458, for that matter. I suspect (never loaded for it, though) that the .300 H&H case stretches easily. Case life may be shorter.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 160user
It is just a very cool nostalgic caliber.

+1 smile

This .300 H&H belongs to a friend of mine:

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,082
Posts18,521,843
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.