Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Final Frontiersman by Campbell is good.

Shantaram by Gregroy David Roberts was a very entralling read for me. I had very little interest in India, but his story about some of the underbelly was great!

I'll second or third the suggestion of One Man's Wilderness by Page. Possibly the most enjoyable hunting book I've read.

Hunting the Plains by Barsness (Mule Deer) was great since I so have a hankering for that country.

Mule Deer Quest by Walt Prothero. Not just a how-to book, but also incorporates much of the hunt and their stories.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Footfall, Mote in God's Eye and Oath of Fealty by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle all were worthwhile reads for me - science fiction from a rather conservative perspective.

Dreadnought by Robert Massie and A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman offered insights into misunderstood eras of history.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't forget the books by

Gene Hill

Really, don't forget them.

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Ive recently been reading some of the Outdoor Life books by O'Connor and they are pretty good reads.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Just finished Nathaniel Philbrick's "The Last Stand" which was a little weak compared to his history of the whaling ship Essex, but had some of the latest thoughts on what happened in detail.

His obvious lack of firearms comprehension is proved in his description of rim failures in the trapdoor Springfields and entertainiing. Somehow the copper "brass" of the day, in a matter of just a few shots (in a single shot, no less) heated it so thoroughly the weakened copper allowed the extractor to pull through the rim.

His use of the term "noncombatants" for women and children and applying it to Calvary Officers of the day was also interesting...

Having read a lot of the history over the years it was quite a different take. His battlefield did not seem like the same place I visited...

But it is still a decent read and moved along far better than most history I have read...

I, too, was disappointed with Philbrick's latest. It wasn't nearly as good as "A Terrible Glory" and didn't come anywhere close to "Son of the Morning Star."

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
just finished Nathaniel Philbrick's "The Last Stand" which was a little weak compared to his history of the whaling ship Essex,

Just finished up both the books myself Art.

The authors take on Reno was unjustified, he truly was a coward just like Custer thought of him.

Essex was great reading.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Collapse, by Jared Diamond
Death in the Long Grass, by Peter Capstick
No Parachute, by Arthur S. G. Lee
African Rifles and Cartridges, by John Taylor
Frontsoldaten, by S. G. Fritz

There's numerous books coming out on economics that must be worth a read; the economists have now had enough time to analyze what's been going on, and numerous theories will be vying for attention. I just grabbed three such books from the local B&N.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you enjoy reading?

I've read the majority of these and they're excellent for the most part, especially Birds or Prey and Monsoon

http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/novels/index_courtney.html

This one was recent and pretty good, fictional story about the early days of African Safari's for the background story
http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/novels/assegai.html

Clive Cusslers Dirk Pitt series are enjoyable, especially the earlier ones.

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Samuel Eliot Morisons biography of John Paul Jones is a first class read.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,672
Posts18,493,799
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.