Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Probably gonna have many stupid questions before my 1st plains hunt in 2011 {hope you guy's don't mind}. And thanks to all who replied to my "airline seating" thread.

Wondering what boots you guys are wearing in South Africa? 8,10" high, or just low hiking boots? Waterproof?

Last edited by slg888; 07/10/10.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Low hiking..no need to be waterproof....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Low hiking..no need to be waterproof....

Ingwe
That's what I was thinking,but was not sure. Thanks for the confirmation ingwe.

H
hws Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
X3 on the low hiking. At the last minute I purchased some of the short gaiters from Long Grass and I was really glad I did as they proved to be very useful with the low top boots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had very good luck with New Balance walking boots in Zimbabwe last Fall. Soft, quiet soles are most important for stalking. Lowa also makes a good one as well.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I wore my Justin Lacer work boots. Worked pretty good.

He went over yonder way
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've used Ecco Tracker IV's for my last two hunts......they have a Gore-Tex liner, which is not necessary, but they are the most comfortable, quiet boot I've ever used in Africa.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I wore my old Browning low tops...

They are comfortable, but would be PERFECT if for some reason the leather on top of the toes hadnt caved in in spots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With all due respect to previous posters, South Africa is a big country and terrain varies from desert to mountains, from very dry to very wet and very cold to very hot.

you need to tell us where and when you're hunting before you can get any really sensible advice.

Last edited by Shakari; 07/11/10.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Shakari
With all due respect to previous posters, South Africa is a big country and terrain varies from desert to mountains, from very dry to very wet and very cold to very hot.

you need to tell us where and when you're hunting before you can get any really sensible advice.

He's right, lot of difference between hunting the limpopo and say thre eastern cape.

maddog

IC B3

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by maddog
Originally Posted by Shakari

He's right, lot of difference between hunting the limpopo and say thre eastern cape.

maddog
Im going where you went Maddog. Cruiser safaris.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
slg888, in that case. The terrain is mostly flat and sandy. I got along with cabela's lightweight kangaroo upland hunter bird boots. 2.4 lbs. per pair. The boots were tough and quiet. The kangaroo hide kept the thorns ar bay. They are 8 " high and I didn't need gators. There are a lot of thorn bushes/trees in that area. These are the ones I'm talking about.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...dex&indexId=cat601926&hasJS=true

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 07/11/10.
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a pair of broken in Lite-weight Browning's that are similar. Think I will use these.....

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Perfect! grin

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it's flat and sandy and assuming you'll be hunting at a time of year when it'll be dry, I'd suggest you go for something as light as possible and with not too an aggressive tread pattern.

In those conditions, I wear either of the top two here: http://www.beiersafety.co.za/military.asp. The advantage of the high boots is you can tuck long trousers into them which helps keep the ticks off.

Last edited by Shakari; 07/11/10.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my trips to Zim and SA I just wore NuBalance walking shoes and a pair of gaiters. No need for boots IMO.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As mentioned above, terrain makes a huge difference in the boot style. Last year I went to the Kalahari in Botswana where it is quite flat and sandy. The boots Thula Thula were perfect for that. Very, very light and quiet. The flat mocassin-like sole made for a very good stalking boot. However (too illustrate the first point) I've also worn these hiking in the Sangre de Christo mountains, and the sometimes rocky terrain was not that comfortable with these boots.

Custom is not necessary, but I chose that route as I have issues with my feet (dropped metatarsil, etc.) Whatever route you decide to take do not hedge at spending a few more dollars for the boots that fit you the best. Your feet will thank you.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I took two pair of shoes.
One a pair of danner low tops water resistant and the other a pair of cheap Hi tech hikers which I wore most of the time. I also had a pair of summer sandles which I ended up wearing home as I left my boots there with the camp crew.
Frank

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I probably wouldn't recommend it if you're not used to them but the other ones I wear if it's easy terrain is a pair of Masai sandals.

Once you're used to them, they're comfortable as hell.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If I had to pick one boot or shoe, I would take a 6" Justin Lacer or better yet the Roper Horseshoes..Be sure and get the high dollar Roper Horseshoes as they are waterproof ($89.00) These Ropers are my all time favorite, they are so damn comfortable out of the box and they last for ions...I wear them in Idaho summer and winter and I hunt in the Texas brush country in them. I hunt in and RSA and it has both the Texas and Idaho type terrain..They are my favorite high top shoe in Tanzania and in fact I have hunted pretty much all over the world in them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (204guy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,766
Posts18,515,376
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.