Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I bought I Married Adventure, looking for the other one now.

Try this:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...ts=t&tn=four+years&x=70&y=12

This search (link above) is for original, hardcover First Editions only of Four Years In Paradise. At the time of my post here, there are a couple of copies of Four Years In Paradise listed at reasonable prices.

BTW, I've used ABE for several years and have NEVER had a problem with a seller or the book(s) I purchased not matching the condition and/or description given by the seller. (Of course it is always a good idea to check a particular seller's "Bookseller Rating" shown on the ABE website.)

Cheers!
-Bob F.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just bought Bride of the Solomons

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well heck, an educated fella can never have too many books!! smile

Seriously, be sure to pick up a copy of "Four Years In Paradise" when you get a chance.

Cheers! smile
-Bob F.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob,

Originally Posted by BFaucett
At the time of my post here, there are a couple copies of Four Years In Paradise listed at reasonable prices.

You talked me into buying a copy of Four Years in Paradise so there's one less.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That'll be my next purchase for sure! thanks, Bob!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paladin
Bob,

You talked me into buying a copy of Four Years in Paradise so there's one less.

David

[Linked Image]

I think you'll really enjoy it! Just keep in mind that Osa's books are not written from the perspective of a sport/safari hunter in Africa. They are not pure hunting books that many of us enjoy and are familiar with. Still, I believe her books tell a fascinating story about her and Martin's time spent in Africa. I think anyone interested in Africana and safaris from the "golden age" will enjoy reading her books.

Cheers! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Bob, I'm sure I'll enjoy the book.

As I mentioned earlier, I enjoy watching Simba every so often. Having never been to Africa, the adventure the Johnson's experienced is something I have in my minds eye that will be when I finally get there. That Africa is gone forever, and it's a shame, but the world changes whether we like it or not.

When I finally get there, I'll use my imagination to cast myself back to a day that will never be again.

Thanks again,
David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOP on those rifles looks a little long for the spunky chick.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought the same thing in a couple of the pics.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well men, the Safari Centennial is on the way. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday. I'll let you know which one I keep.... jorge

A little bird told me that Jorge has received the Safari Centennial rifle and has made a decision as to which model to keep. Maybe Jorge will chime in and give us an update!

-Bob F. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yessir boys, going to keep the Safari Centennial, but the 150th is going to a great cause. Pugs and I (his idea) are going to give it our good buddy who retires from the Navy in September after thirty years of service. So you see, what goes around comes around. My dear friend Evil Twin gave me a Sharps and now we reciprocate. Karma baby! jorge

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What a wonderful idea! That's very generous of you guys, too! I bet he'll be thrilled!

"Pay it forward......" [Linked Image]

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinI just KNEW that Sharps had found its real Master grinHopefully I will get to meet the recipient of the Winchester too!!! grin Hint: I hadta give Jorge the edge grin He wuz a Grunt before he wuz a blowtorch jockey grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yessir boys, going to keep the Safari Centennial, but the 150th is going to a great cause. Pugs and I (his idea) are going to give it our good buddy who retires from the Navy in September after thirty years of service. So you see, what goes around comes around. My dear friend Evil Twin gave me a Sharps and now we reciprocate. Karma baby! jorge

I assume this is going to Zeke. Like you three need an excuse for excess drinking, story fabrication, and a just a general good time? God help the locals!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You assume correctly sir. Excuses for aforementioned? hell, it's a way of life! smile

Sitting here playing with the toy. Man that rebounding hammer/safety PCshit has GOT to go! Lovely rifle though and I managed to score some TR Anniversary Winchester ammon on sale as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well guys been working the 405 hard coming up with a suitable load. Been using RL-15 powder as that was the best powder recommended. Used 300gr Woodleighs and TSXs. Finally settled on the TSXs and right at 2250 fps duplicating original factory specs. THe factory Hornady and Winchesters shoot a bit faster (2280s) and the Woodleighs a bit more accurate, but given the rounds lousy SD I settled on the TSXs to maximize penetration. THe TSXs are holding consisten 2 3/4" three shot groups@ 100. Funny thing about the Woodleighs, velocity seemed to top out in the 2180s no matter how much powder from about 53.5 to 55.5gr of RL-15. The TSXs in turn responded nicely with 30 fps increments per half grain of powder. I've also ordered a Lee Custom Factory Crimp Die as this has shown to tighten groups in all the other calibers I've used. jorge

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well guys, I have some disappointing news.

From my post back on 12/27/09:

Originally Posted by BFaucett
I left the rifle at Todd's shop so that a well-known gun writer could see, handle, and take photos of it. He and I have been corresponding for the last year or so concerning an article that he is doing on the rifle. (It does take time for a gun writer to get a publisher interested in the subject matter, do research, take photos and write an article!) Now, I can't say much more than that at this time. But, I believe that in 2010 you'll be able to buy a new issue of a publication that will feature an article on Osa's rifle.

Don't worry..... When I get the "go ahead" from the author, I will be sure to post on here the name of the publication and when it will be available.

So... Be sure to stay tuned......

-Bob F.

Well the article wasn't accepted for publication; it apparently didn't make the editorial cut. Recent emails:

-------------------------------------------
To: [name deleted for his privacy]
Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Well, I looked through the table of contents (via Amazon) of the new Gun Digest 2011 and I didn't see an article about Osa's Mauser rifle. I guess it didn't make the editorial cut for publication. Oh well.... I just wanted to verify with you that that was the case.

Thanks!
Bob Faucett

To: Bob Faucett
Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Bob,

Yep, I saw that. Don't know what happened as I've not heard a word from Dan. It could be that he just ran out of room for more material. I'll let you know what happened when I speak with Dan.

Cheers,
[name deleted for his privacy]

I hope the gun writer doesn't mind me posting these emails on here concerning the article. I have deleted his name, from the emails I posted above, for his privacy. We were both excited about this project and the article. I'm hoping he can sell the article to another publication but he hasn't mentioned anything along those lines to me at this time.

And so it goes.....

-Bob F.

Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (338rcm, 204guy, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 23 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,045
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.