Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
MOA became important when I found rifles that would shoot MOA if I did my part. Some do some don't. I have kept the ones that do. Don't need MOA for a deer at 100 yards, but nice to know that the rifle will. The ones that are not MOA after some work don;t seem to stay around very long, the ones that will are still here. If I miss it is my fault, not the rifle.

HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just figure that the better a rifle shoots, the worse I can.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Laffin'

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Belated well done on the Ruger. Nice work.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Truth be told accuracy is maybe 4th or 5th on my list of necessary attributes of my rifles. I have seen some scary accurate rifles that I consider to be true POS's and wouldn't take as a gift. That may be taken as snobbishness but in reality it is exactly the opposite. I know what it takes to be successful where I hunt and accuracy is way down on the list, within reason.

Does the safety lock the bolt? Is the bolt and trigger assembly taken down easily to be cleaned? Does water drain into them in harsh weather? Is is structurally efficient or could I use it as a reinforcement rod on my truck's frame?

Because I'm not taking a 9 pound rifle up the mountains I hunt and I don't care if the thing shoots one hole groups at 500 yards. I won't tolerate a rifle that has a bolt that opens every time I go through a brier patch. Seen too many hard to take apart bolts freeze up because the owner didn't want to devote a whole afternoon to take one down. Mine come apart in about 30 seconds. And it better be tough because if the weather turns like it did last season and footing becomes iffy the rifle will eventually get the crap knocked out of it.. better be tough and that goes for mounts and scope as well.

But this is just me. I know what it takes to hunt my neck of the woods and good enough accuracy is almost a given with today's guns. So to answer your question: It never did, for some of us.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I just figure that the better a rifle shoots, the worse I can.

Ding Ding....Ding.

Out of all this bullschit we have a winner.............

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Rather ironic that a dedicated bowhunter will practice months upon months, with good gear, to cluster his arrows into the smallest "group" possible.

Rather ironic that a dedicated turkey hunter will source good gear and good ammo to cluster his turkey loads into the dense and predictable pattern he knows will reliably kill birds.

Rather ironic that a dedicated muzzleloader hunter will source a good muzzleloader and work out a good load to gain as much "accuracy" and range as possible.

Rather ironic that dedicated squirrel hunter will seek out the best ammo to make his best shooting .22 hit squirrels in the head time in and time out.

Rather ironic that a dedicated fisherman will fill a tackle box with as many good lures as possible to gain his edge, never once saw a fly tying fly fisherman carry one fly into the creek and proclaim that's good enough....

But when it comes to "dedicated" rifle hunters here, on this forum full of [bleep] know-it-alls, half of them are willing to slum along with with mediocrity and "good enough".

[bleep] dolts can't think past their own snobish BS and realize that for a lot of us a rifle spends more time in the truck than a fuggin'gun safe. ALL of our "big game" rifles here do a hell of a lot more than just deer hunt...and for that we'd just as soon see a little decent accuracy.

My son and I took our two favorite deer rifles to the 'chuck fields this evening, and never once felt ashamed of how well they shoot.....

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Tell this kid, today, whilst 'chuck hunting....that he should hang his head in shame for taking his sub-MOA deer rifle groundhoggin'.

I double dare ya............

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I think, BTW, that's one of the coolest pics I've taken of my son........

[Linked Image]
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Well sir congratulations on having sub MOA deer rifles and a son fine enough to appreciate them. Figured someone should answer so as you werent ranting to yourself any longer....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Combination cleaner and spike buck attractant for the MOA + crowd.......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If that was down here you'd need Minute Of Alcohol to get the chiggers off of him.

I haven't seen where anyone has knocked having an accurate rifle. I think you've misunderstood some posts that simply stated that in alot of hunting situations, having an MOA rifle isn't necessary. Me, I want as accurate a rifle as I can get, but I've killed a truck load of bucks with a 2 moa Marlin 336 as well.

Hope you and your son had a good day of shooting.

JM

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I seldom misunderstand dumbphuckitude.....

And per the latter, we did, despite not even taking a shot.

A grand day just to be where we are, doing what we do.......

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats the truth JM....We have a wonderful chigger and seed tick crop this year. crazy

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Is there a page missing in this thread? What's up with the F-bombs all of a sudden?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I'd bet a pile of cash that there are FAR more MOA rifles than there are MOA shooters.......

[Linked Image]
R
R
Gee why not just move closer to the game and take a close shot? Better yet...put salt on their tail and place em in a bag.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
If that was down here you'd need Minute Of Alcohol to get the chiggers off of him.

I haven't seen where anyone has knocked having an accurate rifle. I think you've misunderstood some posts that simply stated that in alot of hunting situations, having an MOA rifle isn't necessary. Me, I want as accurate a rifle as I can get, but I've killed a truck load of bucks with a 2 moa Marlin 336 as well.

Hope you and your son had a good day of shooting.

JM

Ditto!+1 etc. In fact my rifles have shot so well after diligent practice and hand loading that I hunt with my 44 mag revolver more lately than my rifles. Once the freezer is full of enough venison to make me happy I pick up the pistol or recurve to make things challenging.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Figure you missed the point by a couple miles, minimum.......

Nope, noone need MOA, or sub-MOA, JUST to kill a deer......that is if it's within the appropriate range to absorb the limitations of the lack of accuracy.

Hunted my youth with a smoothbore shotgun and foster slugs in a non rifle area, so you can't tell me a thing about this.

BUT, a man who hunts where a 10 yard poke is just as common as a 500 yard poke, with a CF rifle, might want to have something that's a bit more "accurate" than grandpappy's rusty ol' 94, or a 12 gauge shotty gun.

Factor in the fact that some folks actually shoot all year using their "deer rifles" for mainly other things than JUST deer hunting and presto whamo you suddenly have "need", or at least a healthy preference, for MOA and sub MOA.

Stupid internet outdoor dumbphucks will never get that, but at least they easily provide a little off season entertainment..........

[Linked Image]
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.