Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fastest for me.

125 in my 70 Cuda. cool

100 on my 95 Arctic Cat ZR580 (fuel injected) laugh

70+ in my buddy's bass boat sick

50 - 60+ on snow skis (so fast my eyes were watering) crazy

The fastest thing I've ever seen on the road was two motorcycles that passed me going down Turnagain pass towards Girdwood. They were playing catch-up to their frinds in front that had passed me doing 140 or 150. The two guys in back passed me going 180 - 190+ mph. Fifth gear wound out downhill balls to the walls. One was on a Ducati, can't remember the other one. They were going sooooooooo fast it skeert me when I thought of what would have happened if they had ran into the back of my truck pulling my boat. The bike would probably wound up in the front seat with me.

fish head

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head

Were you in the live well? grin

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Hopefully not ona stringer in tow...

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jumpin' out of her 2nd story window when the old man came home..
Faster than a 230gr .45 crazy

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not the fastest, but the most memorable ...

I did 100mph on a Honda 750 Interceptor with my 70yr old grandfather on the back while my grandmother and aunt were watching. We both loved it. grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Were you in the live well? grin

No. That sumbish had me on a stringer water skiing behind the the boat. laugh

fish head

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Hopefully not ona stringer in tow...

Fish youre gonna have to tighten up.... smile

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Man, I messed around with one of those 2-stroke 3 cylinder Kaw's in the late 70's too. I have no idea how fast the thing actually ran. Me and a buddy got it running good, scared ourselves a few times, and sold it. Never knew how fast it actually ran.

One night in my car I caught up to and passed a Corvette one night. He caught up to me in the next town at a Dairy Queen. He wanted to know how fast I was going - of which I had no idea. He claimed to have been doing 148 when I pulled out to go around him. I didn't "blow by him", I just kinda went around him like he was doing 50 and I was doing maybe 55.

I was a passenger in that same Vette when it blew an engine at about that same speed. It turned out to be very uneventful, though there were about 30 seconds or so where I was scared to death.

The worst scare I ever had was in a Camero that I owned for a very short time. I was traveling down the road at about 120-130 and passing through a point where the road had been cut through the rock to a depth of about 30 feet. Solid rock on both sides of the road. The road curved very slightly and had an oh-so-slight dip at the apex of the turn. When I hit that dip I immediately found myself in the other lane and pulling at the wheel to stay on the road. Had I have dropped a tire off the pavement at that speed in that turn Ii would have pinged and ponged off that rock until there wasn't anything left of me or the car.

That scared me very bad. I had been through there that fast in (and faster) in my Charger and Mustangs and never had that happen. I unloaded that car and quick.

Certainly not the fastest in a straight line - but I'll never forget the first 4 wheel disc braked car I owned. A 1983 RX7 - I could scream in to a corner and stand that thing on its' nose and point it in another direction. Nobody could stay with me on a good twisty road. I can only imagine what today's cars with their excellent brakes and sophisticated suspensions offer.
And I'm gonna stop thinking about it or I'll want one.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
100 + on Yamaha Fj and Article Cat sled.

Both had a lot more to go than I had the balls to find out. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
340boy, I don't know, but on the ground it was on a bike -- maybe you can help me figure it out. The speedo went to 140 on a Suzuki GS1100 and the tach was still at 12:00 (I don't remember how many RPMs that was) but the tach would keep going long after the speedo was pegged -- clear to about 5:00. When you let off the throttle, you could feel lots of slowing down going on before the speedo dropped off 140. I'm guessing at least 180 mph or more-- what do you think a early 80s stock GS1100 would do?

I know a Datsun 280Z would bury the speedo at 160mph in those days too, but I'm not sure how fast they really went either.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's an action shot of me blazing on a wicked fast Razor. I couldn't even begin to estimate the top end on this bad boy. The camera was sweeping so fast it blurred the picture even using high speed film.

[Linked Image]

fast fish head cool

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had a Vette with the roof off just pass 130 when a gust of wind blew my glasses off. This was before I had lasik and couldn't see the big letter without correction. I got it slowed down, but had little clue of what was going on around me. Fortunately the glasses were still in the car or it would have been a slow ride home.

Got off a Harley when it was doing about 50. Cured me of that chit.

Last edited by battue; 07/11/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's an action shot of me blazing on a wicked fast Razor. I couldn't even begin to estimate the top end on this bad boy. The camera was sweeping so fast it blurred the picture even using high speed film.

[Linked Image]

fast fish head cool

Even Fishes are funny today! laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

Got off a Harley when it was doing about 50. Cured me of that chit.

battue;
I hope this finds you and yours well today sir and thanks for the stories. I can imagine losing the glasses was a little disconcerting to say the least! laugh

Your Harley story reminded me of the first time I "opened up" our then new to us Appaloosa mare.

I'd grown up with horses, had done a fair bit of riding and when I was 30 something I had more to prove somehow. So one evening when my wife and I were out for a trail ride, when the Appy that she was riding was acting up close to home, I gallantly suggested we swap steeds and "I'd teach her a thing or two."

So my wife got on our reliable Quarter Horse, I got on the dancing Appy and headed the opposite way on the shoulder of the country road we were on.

Now as I aged, I became a better judge of horse flesh and now I could tell you by looking at a horse like that mare that somewhere in her dark past there was a bunch of Thoroughbred and yah, she'd likely go pretty good - alas I had that lesson to learn.

After we danced, jigged and spun down the road out of sight of my wife and the Quarter Horse, I said something manly like, "OK you fool horse, if you want to run home, let's go".

The real horsemen reading this will now know how many kinds of fool I really was, cause unless you really need to in an emergency, allowing horses to run home isn't a great habit.

Well of course she was fast battue, faster than I'd ever been on a tall horse and faster than I'd ever envisioned a horse could possibly go. When I finally got her stopped, I was shaking so badly I had a hard time walking her home, but walk I did! blush

My good wife was waiting in the yard for me and was happy to see that we'd both survived my little macho experiment. Though I did let her run many more times after that, I can assure you it was never on the side of a road. whistle

Anyway, your story reminded me of that evening when I learned a little bit about horses and a lot about Dwayne.

Have a good week.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hit 40 yesterday going down hill on my bicycle.
My knuckles are still white this morning... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on which girl you talk to.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well guess I'll play even though it don't come close to others. 125 on a Indian 4 cyl when the front end started to float and wobble, had the rear drum brake smoking pretty good slowing it back down.

Don't know how fast in the RO seat of an F4 Phantom but the engine noise went away! Was getting a ride back to RSVN from the PI from a Marine pilot.

Was out on the interstate yesterday and got up to 75 in the left lane in my KIA! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dwayne,

Same back to you. Always enjoy your posts.

Anyway, my daughter Katie has a similar horse story. Family had a couple quarter horses and naturally she wanted to learn how to ride. She was about 10 and we had a friend give her some lessons.

She arrived at the point where we let her handle it herself while we watched. About 200yards from the barn one of the other horses gave a whinny and hers took off. She hung on until her's decided to kick up the back-end. Then she went airborne and landed in a heap and didn't move. When I got to her she was crying but all the parts were still functional. If it would have been me, bones would still be breaking.

The next day to my surprise and without prodding, she asked to go back out and try again.

Take care,

Harry

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JacquesLaRami
340boy, I don't know, but on the ground it was on a bike -- maybe you can help me figure it out. The speedo went to 140 on a Suzuki GS1100 and the tach was still at 12:00 (I don't remember how many RPMs that was) but the tach would keep going long after the speedo was pegged -- clear to about 5:00. When you let off the throttle, you could feel lots of slowing down going on before the speedo dropped off 140. I'm guessing at least 180 mph or more-- what do you think a early 80s stock GS1100 would do?

I know a Datsun 280Z would bury the speedo at 160mph in those days too, but I'm not sure how fast they really went either.

On a good day an early 80's GS1100 might see 160,most bike speedos are very optimistic.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
120 on a bike - not that I'm ever going to do that again...
Nuts

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 358WCF, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338Rules, 61 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.