Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lipsey's never said (or admitted) if the order was cancelled or postponed, just delayed due to mfg. supply issues.

I am not holding my breath. It seems if they changed course, they could own up to it. I love my Swede, but would 'settle' for a 250-3000 in 1A or RSI. In fact the RSI might edge out the 1A for me, either would be ok. I know traditionalist like blue/wood, and I like good wood don't get me wrong. My 6.5 has it...as it's twin.....Ed has, very good figure. I would not have bought it otherwise.

Anyone here have any reputable news on ANY future 250/3k from Ruger?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the most part I don't understand how they decide what caliber to produce.I do understand the 303 British.A lot of interest from Canada and Australia. I'm glad they did but the 30/30,.405, 30/40 Krag and 300 H&H?I didn't hear much of a out cry for these.The 250/3000 is IMO one of the father's of high velocity and as much as American as the 4th of July.They say the squeaky wheel get's the oil.I think there is enough member's on the 24 hour campfire to get there attension.Who knows? Cabelas 30/40 Krag,24 hour campfire's 250/3000

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
I think there is enough member's on the 24 hour campfire to get there attension.Who knows? Cabelas 30/40 Krag,24 hour campfire's 250/3000

Patrick, You are very naive if you think the 24HCF memebers can agree on any one thing. frown You can't get 20 members to agree even on chambering... Let alone, SS and/or Blued metal, barrel length, sights or no/sights... etc. You'd always get some members who would say: "I'd buy one in 235 Loudenboomer but only if it had a 24 7/16" barrel. And blued action with color cased lever w/SS barrel, and express sights and only in high grade XXX walnut and if the price was under $500". smile

Unforunately, truth is, many of the folks who talk about their ideas for special runs of Ruger #1's wouldn't buy one. It's funny how a guy can spend $40 per week on cigarettes, and won't buy a $900 Ruger #1 becasue: "My wife won't let me..."

After being a vendor in local gun shows for more than 25 years, you wouldn't believe how many times a guy trailing two kids (usually in his 20's...) will pick up a rifle off my table and fondle it lovingly and lament "he'd buy it in a heartbeat, but his wife would kill him". I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that!

I can tell you now how I know that. I was once one of them... But I quit smoking and put the $ into my gun collection instead. YOu actually wouldn't believe how many guns I've bought in the last 30 years... smile

You see... Most of the guys who TALK about the specialty or "Perfect" #1, don't really want to buy one, they just want to tell the world it was their idea... Many times I've said there are two kinds of people in this world: "There are those who WISH and those who WILL..." Take it from me, there are a lot more of the former than the latter....

I have a #1-AH in 8x57 Mauser... Not because I wished it, but because I willed it. I also have a #1-B in 9.3x62... so does Campfire member, 1B for the same reason... (We had them chambered by the same 'smith at the same time...) I also have several other "Unavailable" #1 variations... For the same reason.

If you don't believe the above is true, pick any chambering that Ruger doesn't catalog and see just how many folks hereabouts will jump on the bandwagon with you... If you pick JUST the chambering, you won't get three posts before someone will add a caveat, then they all join in... frown I tell you it's disgusting!

And that; my friend, is why we can't have any 24HCF specials... blush Sadly!GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Along with what grasshopper said, which I agree with BTW, is that if everyone is SO adamant about having a particular model in a particular chambering and they wait, and wait, and wait complaining about its availability, why don't they simply have one made? You'd have exactly what you want.
Also, There's the folks that want the odd ball configuration/chambering and continually wonder why it's not produced since it would certainly be a popular item. To those...if it's gonna be so hot in popularity, put the $ up yourself and have a run contracted. You get 'em all and can distribute them as you wish at your asking price. After all, that 235 Loudenboomer with a 24 7/16" barrel, blued action with color cased lever, SS barrel, and express sights with high grade XXX walnut would be in high demand right?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Grasshopper is exactly correct!
There has been a least one thread, and maybe two, about special runs and the end result is the same; very little agreement on anything and most wanting something that is just not going to be made.
My favorite comment at the Gun Shows is when someone picks one up and looks so serious that I might have a buying customer, and their first question/comment is " How do you load this thing?"

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
IC B2

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree with Grasshopper,
But I tell you what ... if Ruger produced a limited run of 250/3000s, they'd sell 500 despite the configuration. I personally wish the 303British was a 1B or 1S configuration ... but bought despite not getting exactly what I wanted. Likewise the 250/3000 would sell, perhaps better than a No1 in 416Ruger stainless/laminate.
Cheers...
Con

Last edited by Con; 07/11/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just don't get their logic and lead time on what to make vs what people want. Approx 2 to 2 1/2 years ago the 250-3000 was kicked around and discussed at length multiple times and then it was even announced it was a go, only to be dropped, passed over, or otherwise put on the back burner.

It seems the 303 got fast-tracked from the get go. Go figure.

Really seems there ought to be a better way. I'd step up w/ a deposit if that's what it'd take to get them made, and I feel I'm not alone.

(Of course it's got to have a 23 1/4" barrel) grin kidding...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
Grasshopper is exactly correct!
There has been a least one thread, and maybe two, about special runs and the end result is the same; very little agreement on anything and most wanting something that is just not going to be made.
My favorite comment at the Gun Shows is when someone picks one up and looks so serious that I might have a buying customer, and their first question/comment is " How do you load this thing?"

I have a friend that sells many guns at the gun show and he calls them whistling gophers. They pick the gun up, ask how much it goes for, and then they whistle.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Con

I personally wish the 303British was a 1B or 1S configuration ... but bought despite not getting exactly what I wanted. Likewise the 250/3000 would sell, perhaps better than a No1 in 416Ruger stainless/laminate.
Cheers...
Con

Con,

That is where you and I are in the minority. I, too, would rather have had another configuration than the 1-A. I also bought in spite of the configuration... Actually, I had planned on building a #1 in .303 for some time. Was thinking about a 1-AH (Or a 1-A with no sights...) I am fortunate to have mine on the way... It was shipped Friday... I should have it Tues or Wed. Thus I am happy that Ruger decided to build before I did my custom... (Instead of after, like they did with the 9.3x74R. smile )

I intend to have one of the SS/Walnut K1-A's in .250 Sav., also. I just hope they don't make it next week... As I need time to recover... blush

I think anyone who is really serious about owning a #1 in any given chambering will take one regardless of the configuration... Thus it's easy to see who are the "wannabes" and who are the real deal... smile (Meaning no offense to those who won't or can't buy one because of the expense...)

Kudos to you for taking one despite the fact that you didn't get EXACTLY what you might have preferred...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
[quote=Con] Kudos to you for taking one despite the fact that you didn't get EXACTLY what you might have preferred...

GH

Well ... what I REALLY want and will have built one day ... is a Ruger No1 with 26" barrel chambered to 400/350NE. grin Been a few built in Australia, and in a single shot chambering that long slim rimmed case, they are just BEAUTIFUL. grin
Cheers...
Con

IC B3

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am pretty much tapped out on new rifles. I do want a 257 Roberts in the 1A and I believe one is on order for me. The other consideration was the 303 which I would love to have, but.... funds. For my purposes, I figure to use the 257 Roberts much more than a 303 and the 303 looks to be a standard offering? Perhaps at a later date after selling off some of my bolt guns. The 6.5 build will have to wait.

Last edited by AJD; 07/12/10.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
FWIW, I happen to know where one of the K1As in .257 Roberts is hiding on a rack, right now.

Not mine, but I can/will pass along info if someone wants it.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would take you up on it, but I believe I have one on order, otherwise I would jump on it. I wish I had known before making this commitment. I need to see how that turns out before looking at another. A K1A in 257 Roberts would be sweet for sure. I do appreciate the "heads up".

I'm real partial to the 260 in my bolt guns, and I figure the 257 Roberts will be pretty close.

Last edited by AJD; 07/12/10.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Con

Well ... what I REALLY want and will have built one day ... is a Ruger No1 with 26" barrel chambered to 400/350NE. grin Been a few built in Australia, and in a single shot chambering that long slim rimmed case, they are just BEAUTIFUL. grin
Cheers...
Con

YES!... grin
The 400/350NE (2.94") my next custom single shot after the 7X57R is done..
Con are the ones you have seen built in Australia using the full length 9.3X74R case necked down or are they trimming that case back to 2.75"?

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nrut,
Neither ... remember we have Bertram making brass right here. In my case they're barely an hours drive away. I looked at building a 400/350NE on a P14, then an M98 ... all big dollar conversions ... a No1 would be the perfect gentleman's medium bore rifle however and easily affordable.
Cheers...
Con

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have some Bertram Brass for my 40-90SS, but unfortunately by the time their brass makes it to Canada via the U.S. it is quite pricey, so I'll use the Hornady 9.3X74R brass..
Would be neat to have the 400-350NE headstamp though.. smile

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So has anyone seen a Ruger #1 in .250-3000 "in the flesh"
or are they still in the works? I remember several years
ago Weatherby offered a "Whitetail Special" in .250-3000,
but it never surfaced.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So has anyone seen a Ruger #1 in .250-3000 "in the flesh"
or are they still in the works?

You could say they're in limbo or the idea has been shelved indefinitely. Neither Lipsey's nor Ruger are saying for certain.

In the meantime they made some #1s in .303, 257 Roberts, 30-40, 30-30, and 264 WM, so I guess we should be satiated for quite awhile. frown

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps they are awaiting their 'confidence level' to reach a critical mass. If they use nice wood, and do them in either K1A, 1A, or RSI, I will buy one if the price is not a premium.

Nearly bought a 77 RSI in 250/3000, a recent run by Lipsey's, but I was MORE interested in a #1, and I was not keen on the 18.5" bbl. No doubt it would be a handy carbine to deer hunt.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have little doubt that we'll see the K1-A in .250 eventually. But I'm not sitting on pins and needles, either. smile 'Sides, I have yet to get my .35 Whelen and 6.5x55 to the range... smile

GH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 160user, 51 invisible), 3,506 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,552
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.