Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This one is for us .270 win lovers.....My question is concerning bullet penetration and being tough/holding together. I know the Premiums are a different stroke. Just curious what kind of experience other hunters have had with these three boolits on deer sized animals(elk too). I get super accuracy from all three. I usually shoot for the air bags or ear drums, so I never get a bullet back. I had one Interlock explode on a buck shoulder at 50 feet. It was a broiling smoking load grin
A hole the size of a cantaloupe and no more than 2 inches deep. He made a 40 yard dash, but couldn't out run freezer paper.
15 years ago I used Sierra on boo-koo numbers of deer but I never followed up on bullet recovery to see what was going on. Seems like I remember some fragmentation with Sierra?
I've only taken deer with the Hornady and Sierra in the .270 win, so I can't speak up for the NBT. I have used 150 gr NBT in 7 Rem mag and have not recovered a bullet yet.

So, of the .270 win loonies like me that push bullets hard, Who collects backstraps with these babies and whats your experience?

Hornady Interlock 130gr
Sierra Spitzer 130gr
Nosler Ballistic Tip 130gr

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have piled up some critters with the 140 grain Interlock out of Hornadys Lightmag ammo. Shot hogs from 25 feet to over 400 yards and never attempted to recover one. IMO its a great bullet for the money though Ive left it for the 110 Accu Bond. Never fooled with the 130's though. No Sierra experience either. Got a load for the 130 BT worked up and sighted in but havent shot anything with it yet. As of right now it seems that itll work fine as long as one avoids the shoulder.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would also recommend the Hornady Interlock.

Of the unbonded cup & core bullets I've found that the IL holds together the best.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the 140gr Hornady Interlock.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have used the Sierra 130 on deer and antelope. Velocity of 3100fps. Basically from my experience at that speed with this bullet I think the further from the animal you are the better they perform.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had Sierras come apart at ranges under 75-80 yards with the 150 grain .30s from an '06 and with the 130 grain .270s. Never lost an animal, but that was because all but one or two were shot in the neck. I switched to Partitions and have never looked back. However, we have had good luck with the 120 Ballistic Tips in various 7mm-08s.

I tried the 130 Ballistic Tips in my .270s about 15 -16 years ago, but went back to the Partitions after shooting up the first two boxes--ruined too much meat. Same story with the 140 BTs in my wife's .280. However, they may have toughened them up since then.

I have loaded Interlocks for a young friend here in the Boot Heel in both .270 and 7mm Rem Mag and he hasn't complained about bullet performance, and he shoots a lot of stuff in the course of a year. I wouldn't be afraid to give them a try.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I know a guy here in Oregon that has killed a lot of elk and deer with the Hornady Interlock 130gr. He had no complaints but they will mess up meat a little close in...but nothing walks away grin

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would go with the inter lock Hornadys if it were me. I don't like the current partitions and ballistic tips just seem to come apart period.
The truth be told I am walking away from copper jacketed bullets totally and going to all lead. They do for me what is needed and that is all I ask of a bullet. Besides it gives me one more thing to do in the reloading process, yea I like doing all I can myself in shooting less middleman to deal with.

In a free country the government doesn't fear its citizens and there firearms. In a crocked government everything is up to be removed even the citizens if they truly believe in freedom.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
what's wrong with the current partitions? Have you had a bad experience with them?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Don't forget the 130 Accubonds.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
270 win and deer... The 130 Nosler Ballistic Tip is all I use. Have yet to recover one.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of the three you mention I have only used the Hornady Interlock 130gr, but have used it for years. Works for me and I imagine it will keep on working too.

Did a number on this big boy back in November 2007.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Of the three mentioned I have use the sierras on two deer not a big test group but some results. First was a 100# doe at 60 yards quartering to me I put the 130 gr. bullet on the front of the shoulder and in exited rear of the opposite shouler she gave a half turn and DRT. Second was a 150# buck at 125 yards behind the shoulder souped the lungs, hamburgered the heart, and exited. He ran about 75 to 100 yards. I would go back to the Gamekings in a heart beat if needed to but I like changing up things a bit.
[Linked Image]

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So far it sounds like good reports. I thought there would be more Ballistic tip hunters. I just picked up some 140gr Accubonds to try in my .280 and 7 Rem mag.
I'm also gonna try the 130gr NBT in my 270. See if I can bounce a few slicks to load the smoker.

Got some Sierra 140 HPBT's for the .270 that I need to play with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me too on the Interlocks. I would not use the other two for "hot rod" deer hunting. I like the old Partitions when I soup them up a lot. But that's just me.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
i suspect "pushing them hard" is what causes the problems. all 3 are designed to open/stay together up to a certain speed. pushing em' faster results in what many term as "bullet failure".

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
IMO & experience, I find that Interlocks run circles around sierra's all day long.

I would not fret about driving a 140gr Horn fast out of a .270.

The deer I have shot and have seen shot with sierra's where in fact very dead I just did not like the complete explosion on close in shots.

I'm particularly concerned about running sierra's when I know I might need to drive it through a challenging shot angle.

Which is why today I mainly drive Partitions.

Last edited by CLB; 07/13/10.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
berger vld's they shoot great....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunnut308
This one is for us .270 win lovers.....My question is concerning bullet penetration and being tough/holding together. I know the Premiums are a different stroke. Just curious what kind of experience other hunters have had with these three boolits on deer sized animals(elk too). I get super accuracy from all three. I usually shoot for the air bags or ear drums, so I never get a bullet back. I had one Interlock explode on a buck shoulder at 50 feet. It was a broiling smoking load grin
A hole the size of a cantaloupe and no more than 2 inches deep. He made a 40 yard dash, but couldn't out run freezer paper.
15 years ago I used Sierra on boo-koo numbers of deer but I never followed up on bullet recovery to see what was going on. Seems like I remember some fragmentation with Sierra?
I've only taken deer with the Hornady and Sierra in the .270 win, so I can't speak up for the NBT. I have used 150 gr NBT in 7 Rem mag and have not recovered a bullet yet.

So, of the .270 win loonies like me that push bullets hard, Who collects backstraps with these babies and whats your experience?

Hornady Interlock 130gr
Sierra Spitzer 130gr
Nosler Ballistic Tip 130gr

As much as I hate to admit, being a .257 fan, I don't think it is possible to better any of the above for deer. (No kidding.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What can one say? The Interlock kills stuff. The ballistic tip devastates stuff. The Sierras cheap and does both.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.