-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have an upstais apartment. The meter has been pulled. That meter is in the same box as my meter. I have the correct size wire. These wires are in a screw clamp. There is plenty of room in the clamps to put in two wires. Can I jump from the output side of my meter to the clamps that supply the upstairs. I will of course pull my meter first.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't recommend it.

You could potentially be doubling the load for which the size of your mains on the first meter are planned/rated if you are running both sets of circuits.

Nevermind, I re-read it...at first I thought you intended to run both apartments off of the one meter/one main.

Last edited by Aileinduinn; 07/11/10.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm not totally clear on the parameters from the written description, but if your upstairs apartment had its own metered panel previously, and you've now eliminated the second meter, I think you might want to turn the upstairs panel into a sub-panel powered off the downstairs circuit panel. So the line will pass through the meter, to the main panel, which in turn feeds the sub-panel upstairs. Merely jumping from the screw clamp in the meter box to the upstairs connection might energize the upstairs apartment, but I doubt it would conform to code and probably for a good reason. Check out Fine Homebuilding's wiring manual, by Rex Caldwell--it will show you succinctly how to wire a sub-panel. Hope this helps!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I *truly* appreciate folks going out of their way to help others with advice, I must confess that I'd no sooner engage in a round of Russian Roulette with a semi than take any advice online regarding something like wiring/electricty. No offense meant to ANYONE on this. 'What's the date of a rifle's manufacture?', 'what's a great beer?' or 'how do you change the sparkplugs on a particular motor?', you bet. Electrical? Unless it's my dad or someone else I trust with my life, no way. Sorry for the hijack. Carry on.

wink

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you do not already know how to do it-dont.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Licensed Electrician here,the meter is power company property,you can get yourself in hot water and fined for a few hundred bucks,besides the fact that the meter is unfused and you will get your world rocked if you slip up.DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!

do you own the building?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Things that make you go hmmmmmm....

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
the power company will be happy to do it for ya for a nominal fee im sure.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rent the upstairs apartment to a couple of cuties. A divorce beats an electrocution and a burned down house.

Last edited by Junior1942; 07/12/10.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The wires come in and go to my meter. There are two bars that go from the top of my meter and go over to the top of the other meter. I simply want to do that on the bottom so it's hot. I want to use wires in the clamps rather than these suprizingly thin bars. Just a jumper. Both were hooked to the same main anyway.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"I want to use wires in the clamps rather than these suprizingly thin bars."

The answer is yes, white to white, black to black, etc. Both meters and breaker boxes already share the same ground.

All you will be eliminating is the second meter, the power company will still get it's pound of flesh for every KW you use. Both house circuits will still feed their respective breaker panels so over-all safety won't be an issue. You obviously know much more about that stuff than most people.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...The meter is power company property,you can get yourself in hot water and fined for a few hundred bucks...

Real good advice wink

They don't take kindly to someone messin around inside their box! It's suppose to have one of their seals on it....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In cases like this I check the size of the service entrance conductors and then I do a load calc to see if they are sufficient for the combined loads. Then make the changes as the code and local utility allows.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you need to get temporary power to the other panel thier are safer ways to do it,that won't get you electrocuted or fined.

DO NOT SCREW AROUND IN A LIVE METER PAN.

CALL A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.