Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
Been waking up with back pain the last 6 months-was thinking of buying one of these but would like some reviews on them. Any of you guys use them? how do you like them?

Dave

Had a Tempr-pedic for 10years. Worth EVERY penny.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

srp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy the Temper pedic matress pad for a fraction of the cost from Overstock.com. Works the same.

A fool uttereth all his mind - Proverbs 29:11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
Been waking up with back pain the last 6 months-was thinking of buying one of these but would like some reviews on them. Any of you guys use them? how do you like them?

I had one for about a year and ended up selling it. Found it to be too hot and I could smell the petroleum scent in the thing which bothered me. Maybe my sense of smell is more sensitive than others. Also, I didn't like how, when shifting position during the night, it took a minute or so for the thing to re-conform to my new position.

After that I slept on my other bed which was a regular innerspring. That got rid of those issues but it also had pressure points on my body causing me to turn more frequently. My biggest challenge is that I get apnea or snoring if I sleep on my back. And my shoulders are so wide that when I sleep on my side, I would sag too much.

I got to the point where I was literally waking up about 30 times a night. It was brutal for me and anyone who had to be around me grin

Few months back, I got a compromise of the best aspects of different types of beds. It has individual coils vice the normal innerspring, and it has a plush top. Lastly, it has a combination of both latex and memory foam in between the coils and the plush top. It has a soft "surface" feel, it has selective support of individual coils, and it has the "conforming" feel of foam. The top is also organic fabric and filler if you care about that sort of thing.

Bottom line is that I sometimes now wake up in the morning and cannot even remember the night's sleep because I am not waking up and turning about 1/10th as often at most. I have slept on all of them at one point or another and I wish I had one of these about 20 years ago. The retail on mine was around $2500-3000 bucks but I got it for $1400 on sale and I asked for the mattress only since I have a platform bed. Mattress stores has killer sales a few times a year. Next big one is probably labor day I would assume.

Mine is a Serta Perfect Day mattress. Would buy one again in a heartbeat.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Few months back, I got a compromise of the best aspects of different types of beds. It has individual coils vice the normal innerspring, and it has a plush top. Lastly, it has a combination of both latex and memory foam in between the coils and the plush top. It has a soft "surface" feel, it has selective support of individual coils, and it has the "conforming" feel of foam.

Sounds like the mattress I just bought - Stearns & Foster though. It has dual coil springs, each independent of the other and independent of all of the other springs, not wired all together like normal spring matresses. It has a plush, memory foam top. Has taken a few days to get used to (had it a week), but my shoulder is no longer killing me and back is feeling good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TXRam
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Few months back, I got a compromise of the best aspects of different types of beds. It has individual coils vice the normal innerspring, and it has a plush top. Lastly, it has a combination of both latex and memory foam in between the coils and the plush top. It has a soft "surface" feel, it has selective support of individual coils, and it has the "conforming" feel of foam.

Sounds like the mattress I just bought - Stearns & Foster though. It has dual coil springs, each independent of the other and independent of all of the other springs, not wired all together like normal spring matresses. It has a plush, memory foam top. Has taken a few days to get used to (had it a week), but my shoulder is no longer killing me and back is feeling good.

Yeah, I think I tried those too and they were quite nice as well. The S&F version was a little higher end about the fabric etc. I couldn't feel the difference myself and the Serta was on sale at the time and considerably less. I was trying to stay under &1500 if possible and after talking down the sales guy 3 times, I was able to do that grin

Nonetheless, I think these are awesome mattresses- they're intelligently supportive, conforming, cool, and have a soft surface feel. Best of all worlds for me at least. Best sleep I've gotten in my life and I have had plenty of sleep problems over the years for sure.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a tempur pedic and love it!

I toss and turn a lot, and in a regular bed I would wake my wife all the time. Don't have this problem with the tempur pedic. She can't even feel me sneaking up on her!

I also have a herniated disc in my lower back and sleep way better on this bed.

Virgil B.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Forgot to mention, the mattresses with the individual coils (not connected to each other), eliminates the sound and almost eliminates the movement when you change positions.

Last edited by TXRam; 07/11/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TXRam
Forgot to mention, the mattresses with the individual coils (not connected to each other, eliminates the sound and almost eliminates the movement when you change positions.

Yep, mine has almost no transfer of motion either.

MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

they now make the airmattress sleep number beds with a tempurpedic like top to them...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I went with the sleep number bed because I was having back problems. Even the wife sleeps better.

Can't weight in on the tempur-pedics

Years ago having hurt my back this was the only thing I could get a good nights sleep on for a couple of years.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
my back pain is in the thorasic spine area-right between my shoulder blades-I know most folks pain is in the lower back/lumbar region. Anyone else have pain where I do and get relief from this mattress?

Dave

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
We really like and enjoy our Sleep Number mattress. Bought the first one about 20 yrs ago and a new one just last year. Not cheap but worth every penny to us.

John

NRA Benefactor
Lifetime-Texas State Rifle Assoc.
Lifetime-American Motorcycle Assoc.
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assoc.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We have a solid foam mattress,fairly firm, with a temp type foam topper. Works well for us. Have not ever notice a heat issue. 10 -12 years now.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I went with the sleep number bed because I was having back problems. Even the wife sleeps better.

Can't weight in on the tempur-pedics

Happy Birthday! We went with the sleep number too. We love it.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We had the Tempur Pedic mattress cover for a year or so. Didn't like it much. The foam does conform to your body, but you slowly settle to the bottom of it. When you do, there isn't any resilience left, and in a small local area it felt to me like sleeping on plywood. When you move, the compressed spots remain for a while.

The foam is an excellent insulator. That's fine when it's cold, not so fine when it's hot.

We tried the Sleep Number... thought it was pretty good.

We ended up with the Intelli Bed, which we like a lot.

Last edited by denton; 07/11/10.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
In a word, yes.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy birthday Spot shooter Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took overtime at our Creston station a few month ago.

They had tempur-pedic mattress's there.

I felt that they were pretty hard when I went to bed, but woke up with out any pain or stiffness the next morning! They really are great!

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We love our Tempurpedic. I find it's fine for side sleepers, but sucks if you sleep on your stomach. Yes, they can be warm, and in winter, if it gets cold the mattress gets like a rock until it warms up.

We also tried the foam mattress topper (sold at Costco). They have short lifespan compared to the tempurpedic, but can give you a sense of what the mattress is like if you are curious but don't want to spend the money without trying it out.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.