Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm looking for a Leupold/Redfield/Burris style base for my son's Marlin 39. Does anyone have any suggestions? Leupold's customer service confirmed that they don't make anything. The application charts for the other manufacturer's don't show anything either.

The scope is currently mounted with Weaver scope mounts but constantly shifts point of impact, as has often been my experience with that mounting system despite tight screws. My son gets frustrated because Dad usually has to sight his rifle in before he can shoot...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by msquared

The scope is currently mounted with Weaver scope mounts but constantly shifts point of impact, as has often been my experience with that mounting system despite tight screws. My son gets frustrated because Dad usually has to sight his rifle in before he can shoot...

Did it ever occur to you that the scope might be the culprit? Just my guess, but that's where I would start.
Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Glock2240

Did it ever occur to you that the scope might be the culprit? Just my guess, but that's where I would start.
Tim

Yes, I thought of that and it's possible the scope is bad. I'm replacing the current Simmons with a Leupold. But, I want to give it good mounts also. I've always had bad luck with Weaver mounts and very good luck with the dovetail mounts.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
try switching from the tip-off rings to some weaver style rings. The mount your using should have the weaver groove. If not, then a new weaver base will. The tip-offs are notorious for sliding. I just use a set of med. weaver 1" so long as they will fit your scope. They are inexpensive and can be found everywhere.

Nothin Clever Here
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MarlinBill
try switching from the tip-off rings to some weaver style rings. The mount your using should have the weaver groove. If not, then a new weaver base will. The tip-offs are notorious for sliding. I just use a set of med. weaver 1" so long as they will fit your scope. They are inexpensive and can be found everywhere.

Thanks for your insight. The scope isn't mounted with the old .22 grooved receiver set-up. The Marlin came from the factory with a Weaver style base and I used Weaver style rings.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
give a post on Marlin owners dot com. folks there really like helping each other out and I am sure someone has what your looking for sitting on their bench.

Nothin Clever Here
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'll give it a try. Thanks!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Weaver 4x rimfire scope on my 39a. It is mounted using Weaver rings and a one piece Weaver base. I have not had any issues with shifting point of impact. I did use a little blue Loctite when I installed the base.

I did try the 2 piece Weaver bases - no good. The one piece is the way to go.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks. I think I'll give Leupold rings for the Weaver base a try and use Loc-tite.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had excellent results with Weaver tip off rings over the years once set in the proper attitude. They are difficult to align the crossgairs straightly. Warne, Leupold, Burris, and perhaps a dozen more make good rings to fit the Weaver type base and are easier to align properly. Good shooting, Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B3

S
S
Any updates? I'm looking to replace the mount on mine. Pics?

Thank you, Stephi4

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I looked for the Loopy/Redfield style bases and had no luck either. Ended up milling off a flat base unit to the stepped cantilever style of the weaver and fitted it up. Worked well, sold it , now I need to do another one. I hope I have another spare base in the junk box.

NRA Benefactor
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
As someone else mentioned, I have seen old Redfield bases periodically on eBay. But, they appear to have been made before the 39 was factory drilled and tapped and say that they require drilling and tapping. So, I'd be surprised if the holes lined up right with a newer 39a. I've ordered some Leupold PRW rings to fit the Weaver base. These rings seem to have a reputation for being tougher than most Weaver-style rings. So, I'll Loc-Tite everything together, upgrade the scope and hope for the best.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
EM2, look at the holes in the Weaver Base and see if they might be oversize or elongated. This will cause a windage shift, as only two screws hold it to the reciever. There is a considerable leverage on the rear screw when the front of the scope is bumped or handled improperly I found this on one that had a drifting problem. You can check it with a bore sighter, and the scope for repeatabilty. might discover just how much flex there is in that cantilever mount. The problems are irritating, but interesting to figure out.

NRA Benefactor
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using the factory-provided base. But, that doesn't mean much!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 204guy, 59 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,879
Posts18,497,751
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.