Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I figure I'd have to be a cull hunter to draw any firm conclusions and since that isn't in my future plans all I can do is offer my observations and two cents worth smile

I've never used a pure varmint bullet on a deer,but have used or seen used(and looked the carcasses over afterwards)a good wide variety of bullets,everything from Nosler Solid Base(semi frag ?)Partitions (in lots of weights and calibers), Sierra,Speer, Hornady,X,AB's,Bitterroots,BT's,etc.

I am not a ribcage nor a shoulder shooter but take whatever is offered,because many of the deer I've shot have not given me a ton of time nor much chance to be particular.

Early on I used Sierra's,Hornady,and Speers;later I started on Partitions in various calibers and weights,and still later I started on Bitterroots(which usually retain 95%+ of their weight, and typically expand to pretty broad frontal areas).I've used the Partitions and BBC's mostly since the 80's because I might be hunting other stuff in the course of a year and want a bullet with a wider range of performance than something that sheds more weight,so I don't really look for the ultimate deer bullet.

According to conventional wisdom, the BBC and the Partition should be the slowest killers but that has not been my observation.Chest hit(pure lung shots)I have had large bucks hit with both stumble along a short distance(10-20 yards?)and collapse,and have had an even greater number collapse to the shot(DRT).The farthest I have had a deer go when chest hit with a BBC was about 40 yards;hit through the chest at 300 yards,he kicked himself off with hind legs and rolled downslope,dead when he stopped.Another large mule deer hit through the chest from above and behind at 400 yards(7mm 140 BBC at 3300 fps)was so instantly dead I lost him in recoil.

I belly crawled with a friends wife to within 400 yards of a nice pronghorn,and gave her instructions on where to hold for a 400 yard shot,she using my rifle,a 270 Win with 130 BBC @3100 fps.The bullet entered near the heart and exited the off side,the buck ran 30 yards or so and collapsed.

Results have been similar with Partitions in everything from the 257 Roberts to the 300 Win mag,and at varous distances from hard off the muzzle to about 500 yards or so.A buck hit in a sage brush basin at 300 yards was lost in recoil from a 270 with 130 Partition.

My largest-ever mule deer(body weight,a true giant)was hit quartering on at about 175-200 yards,with a 140 AB at 3250,bullet striking through onside shoulder,back through lungs, and recovered against the off-side ribe cage.He reared like a stallion,spun,and went 19 paces,blowing blood all the way.

A big whitetail buck hit through the lungs broadside with 150 Sierra from a 30/06 traveled about 75 yards down the mountain before he collapsed.....

OTOH a doe hit by a buddy with a 130 partition,through lungs went about 75 yards,leaving a blood trail my 10 year old son could follow,because he did.... smile

If I were going to pick one deer bullet for deer of all sizes,and distances from off the muzzle to say 500 yards,and wanted a high percentage of DRT's,based on what I have seen, it would be a Nosler Partition.I would bet the Fusion and Reminton CoreLokt UB would be really good as well,but have not used them yet.JMHO and YMMV smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I don't want a bullet that fragments, period. I have had several bad experiences, others mileage may vary.

I do like bullets that open fairly quick, provide controlled expansion and offer good penetration over a wide range of velocity.

That may sound like having your cake and eating it too, but bullets that give you all 3 are out there.

IME they work well on broadside, quartering away and high shoulder shots. (deer & hogs).

Some are newer premium bullets and some have been around for quite awhile.

While I semi-agree on the shot placement deal, the deer doesn't always cooperate and provide you the angle you're looking for, so you need a bullet that will be effective in most any scenario.

My thoughts exactly. You saved me some typing John. Agree 100%.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I figure I'd have to be a cull hunter to draw any firm conclusions and since that isn't in my future plans all I can do is offer my observations and two cents worth smile

That's where my conclusions came from. Under controlled situations, often identical stands, bait positions and nearly the same distances from one day to the next. It was not hunting, just culling for science(drop netting unmarked deer was too slow and required too much manpower to do daily) in a series of 200 acre enclosures over 2 years. Between myself and several other grad students, many hundreds(I think 600, the only data I kept was for my fawn and yearling growth project of which I have 245 samples) of deer were killed with a wide variety of guns and loads at first. Eventually we settled on Nosler Ballistic Tips as being the most effective on South Texas deer for us. We didn't quantify the distances run after a hit, it was a seat of the pants observation and we didn't try everything on the market. We were still just beginning to experiment with handloading. Ballistic Tips don't completely fragment, we got wide exit wounds most of the time. They worked well for us for 100s of pigs also. Only rarely did we ever see a particularly large pig(over 200 pounds), and they did well with them too.
Of all of those, I only recall one instance of a Nosler Ballistic Tip "failing" that I witnessed at that time, and that was from short range shot with a .24 cal 95 grain Ballistic Tip leaving the muzzle around 3250 fps. In that case, it appeared that the bullet broke the buck's humerus, but did not destroy the lungs. He ran off a few yards and then layed down. I shot him with a .30-30 and 150 grain factory loaded Silvertips, and he promptly died. I also had one other similar experience with that bullet on a mule deer buck while hunting in Wyoming a few years ago. Anyway, those bullets were being driven too fast for what they were designed for, but only twice did it become a problem.

Oh yeah, and there is plenty of meat damage, which is certainly more severe than with Barnes-type bullets.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
exbio: Good post and good info. wink

Cull hunts ain't easy to find for many of us....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come here and you can shoot hogs out of farmers fields until your gun barrel melts.

Free of Charge! grin

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JM: Cool! grin

THAT sounds like fun!

Can it be done over the winter when it's cooler?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bob, JM, I would like that as well..Nothing like a hot barrel and good company grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
goodnews: We should go see JM....I will buy and even drink....... bourbon....just don't tell Ingwe..... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have killed more than a chit load of Texas whitetails using cartridges from the 17 Rem up to the 7mm Rem Mag. My experience is nothing kills them quicker than Sierra Game Kings and Nosler Ballistic Tips.

These are my current deer loads;
.222 Rem = 55 grain Sierra
220 Swift = 63 grain Sierra
243 Win = 95 grain Ballistic Tip
25-06 = one rifle shoots 100 grain Sierras, one shoots 100 grain Ballistic Tips.
270 Win = 130 grain Ballistic Tip
7mm Rem Mag = 140 grain Ballistic Tip.

Lack of penetration has never been a problem for me. Lack of expansion from some brands of bullets was an issue that resulted in several long tracking jobs to recover my deer. All that ended when I started shooting Ballistic Tips and Sierra Game Kings.

I have recovered exactly one 95 grain Ballistic Tip and one 63 grain Sierra from deer. Most of my kills have been bang-flops and I've not had any go farther than 25 yards.

As always, your millage may vary according to shot placement and hunting conditions. As for me, I'm happy with the results I'm getting.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
JM: Cool! grin

THAT sounds like fun!

Can it be done over the winter when it's cooler?

Heck yeah!

But they are a little harder to catch once the crops are in.

I wasted an excellent opportunity to learn more about bullets when we shot pigs in the 80's and 90's. Of course, that info would be obsolete now anyway.

I didn't feel like gutting a bunch of hogs in the summer heat to find 'em, plus the game commission folks didn't want you doing that.

It was good shooting, I learned how to shoot a rifle at night and we helped out alot of friends. grin

JM

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe "frags" down them a little quicker.

The 165 gr Hornady Interbonds out of 30-06's have resulted in the shortest travel distance in recent deer shot by our little group. They do bloodshoot meat but don't fragment quite as badly as the lighter weight NBT's.

The 165 NBT out of a 300 Win Mag was making some spectacular kills for a friend until he went to using 200 grain NPTs for everything out of that rifle.

FWIW I personally prefer bullets that are more penetrators; Core Lokts and Hornady Interlocks have seen a lot of use in 180 grain weights from 30-06's and 150-165 grains from .308's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule Deer,
I agree fully with what you said, especially the part about the different levels of fragmentation. I was trying to keep it simple. As mentioned by others, fragmenting bullets immediately makes me think of varmint grenades style bullets. I have weighed a good few TSX, Accubonds, XP3, Partitions, a cupncores. Non retain precisely 100%. There are a lot of variables that effect the actual percentage at the end of the day. My goal is to find a bullet that expands and stays pretty consistent and regardless of shoulder or not retains enough to go at a minimum all the way to the offside rib cage.....after that point, it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for expanding my thought though. It probably helps make it more clear.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I prefer a fast expanding bullet over the slower expanding premium bullets. It seems like to me that the rapid expansion blows bigger holes and puts the deer down a lot faster. Some of the fastest kills I've ever seen were with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Sierra Gamekings. It seems like to me, the harder the bullet is, the more likely your deer is to run off after the shot, which still isn't that big of a deer since heart/lung shot deer are dead within 100 yards anyways. From what I've saw, softer bullets drop deer faster at the expense of more bloodshot meat while deer shot with harder bullets tend to run further but you have less bloodshot meat. So its basically a tradeoff. I have settled on plane jane soft point bullets for all of my deer hunting. They seem to give a good balance of expansion with not as much bloodshot meat as the Ballistic Tips.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JM, well it's settled then; Bob and I will come and shoot a hundred hogs each, stay at your place, regale you with lies and eat your food. You get one free legal consult and an anesthetic without nausea and vomiting (assuming no Big Macks before surgery) if you get up here before OBC (you figure that out). grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well you probably will think I am crazy but my favorite for deer is the 100gr Hollow Point at 3600 to 3800 fps in my 264WM drops them in there tracks. It destroys ther lungs or heart or neck and never exits. Shot placement never ruins meat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goodnews

JM, well it's settled then; Bob and I will come and shoot a hundred hogs each, stay at your place, regale you with lies and eat your food. You get one free legal consult and an anesthetic without nausea and vomiting (assuming no Big Macks before surgery) if you get up here before OBC (you figure that out). grin

It's a deal. Just bring plenty of mosquito dope & ammo. Go to your local John Deere dealer and practice shooting out of a corn picker, as the hogs will run from a pickup but usually aren't afraid of those. Shooting while riding on one is interesting to say the least. grin

You won't hear me say this much, but this is one situation where an auto is a plus. We'll let Bob dig the bullets out while we head to Natchez Under-the-Hill on the river for drinks and dinner. wink

JM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

You won't hear me say this much, but this is one situation where an auto is a plus. We'll let Bob dig the bullets out while we head to Natchez Under-the-Hill on the river for drinks and dinner. wink

JM

Gee....I'm speechless with gratitude...bring me back leftovers..LOL!Will 150 BT's kill them...?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything will kill them Bob, as long as you hit them in the ear.

Being that recovery is not paramount or even allowed by the game folks other than removal from the field, I would fling BT's at them all day long. I believe the recovery rule may have changed though.

The issue with hogs is that their boiler room is located more forward than say a deer's vitals. This can get you into shoulder muscle & bone.

And Bob, where is the gratitude? I was going to set you up in a roadside stand selling that hog meat while goodnews and I toured the antebellum mansions in town trying to drum up business. The stand would bring you into direct contact with some of our finest citizenry, and I dare say, would be a cultural opportunity and education that could easily spawn a couple of best sellers.

I can see the title on Oprah's book club list now: Hog Meat Horizons by Bob

Good news and I were even going to hit Fat Mama's on the bluff for margaruitas in an effort to increase sales. Our dedication to Bob's Hog Meat and Stink Bait Emporium is beyond question.

LOL. wink Just kidding Pard. It would be a good time though, that's for sure.

JM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nitis
all depends on if you are a shoulder shooter or a ribcage shooter
sometimes you dont get the option to decide, go with the worst case scenario bullet

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JM, whoa! I claim title rights to the book and will write the foreword. The title will be "What about Bob?" grin

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1936M71, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1911a1, 63 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,727
Posts18,514,301
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.