Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
While my wife and i are up here from New Hampshire roaming around i was wondering if there are any "old time" gunshops , and where they might be located.I always like to check them out for odds and ends. Don

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great Northern Guns on Tudor in Anchorage is a good place.

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Whitebird, I will be in Anchorage tomorrow ,ill try to check it out, thanks. Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep ditto's on that.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Boondocks in Eagle River

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
Eagle River is a "bedroom" community to Anchorage north on the Richardson Highway about 15 miles. Get off on "Eagle River Loop Road" and follow it to Boondocks, about 5 miles if I recall correctly.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Eagle River is east of Anchorage on the Glenn Highway. Take the first ER turn off. Right to the main street and then left. Boondocks will be on your right at a major traffic light. Can't remember the name of the street. There is also Chimo's in Wasilla along the Parks highway on the north end of town on the right side. Ask anyone they will know the place. Great Northern guns on Tudor is great. If you get down to the Kenai Pennisula at Soldatna their are several there as well. Nice one also in Kenai. All are in the phone book down there. Call ahead to make sure they are open.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love Great Northern Guns.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Frank, Yog, Jeff and the rest of the guys at GNG are first-rate people to deal with.

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well i missed every one of the shops you guys talked about!!! i discovered crusing around Anchorage in a camper,when you dont know where in hell you are is not for me!!! crazy crazy The town we live in in New Hampshire has 1 stoplight and no one way streets!! grin Im a bit norhh of Wasilla at the moment and may just look around here ,going to the Transportation museum in the morning then headed "NORTH" i'll check is some of the northern towns! grin Don

Last edited by Loggah; 07/19/10.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you go to Fairbanks, stop by the museum at UAF, some cool stuff there to be seen. I'd be careful driving the Denali highway in an rv if you have that in your plans as well, that can be a pretty rough stretch of road.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was just going to post a suggestion to do the Denali Highway. Yeah it's a dirt road but they run tour buses across it. It all depends on how long ago it's been graded. Sure, it can get rutted up and bumpy but it can also be smooth going almost the whole way.

If you want to see the real Alaska by all means take the drive from Cantwell to Paxson and back down through Glenallen and then on to Wasilla. Use a little common sense on the Denali Highway and you'll be fine. There are very limited sevices, so fill up with gas and food/supplies before crossing it.

fish head

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe it's graded once in the spring and again in late summer. I've driven it many times and it's always been a bumpy sob, guess I need to ride in the winter on the sled, that would make for a nice smooth and quick ride.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All my trips were in September during hunting season.

I've done it on a snowmachine too. It's awesome. If you go, spend a night or two at the Maclaren River Lodge. It makes for an incredible snowmachine adventure and not the typical day ride. From the Lodge going south along the river is incredible riding. Got to watch out for open water or breaks along the river though. It's a 20 mile six lane highway of powder goodness. Bring a .22 and go shoot some ptarmigans too. The foothills above the river have a great population of birds. In the winter once you find them they'll be in huge flocks.

Of all the snowmachine trips I went on, the Denali Highway and the Maclaren River Lodge trips were my favorite, by far.

I'd give it my highest recommendation. laugh

fish head

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been planning a trip to Alpine Creek Lodge for some time now, just haven't got down to making it happen yet. We ride Summits so most of our riding is in the mountains. Will have to give it a shot this winter for sure.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Alpine creek is a cool place - pretty low-key and fun folks.

The highway is certainly faster on a sled, but I don't think I've been up there and not had fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My last sled was a Yamaha 700 Mountain Max. It's not just trail riding. There's endless hills and powder to play in. In late Febuary or so when the snow is as deep as it gets is a great time to go. You can cross country almost anywhere then.

fish head

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
It looks like the Denali highway was recently graded,but with the wet weather its already pounded full of potholes,i agree it looks like a good sled road. Don

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alaska Gun & Ammo in Fairbanks
Frontier Outfitters in Fairbanks

+1 on Boondock's and Great Northern Guns in the skAnchorage area.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Steve, Were in Fairbanks at the moment i will try to check them out! Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,415
Posts18,528,222
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.