Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
A Sign beside it that says,

This ATV Protected by Shotgun 4 Nights a Week.

You Guess Which 4.

Do Ya Feel Lucky, Punk?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I live in Yakima, Yakima County, Washington State. We have been having serious thefts of ATV, PWC, RV's, and car or utility trailers. The thieves are stealing pickup trucks with hitches and then using them to tow away the above items for sale out of state on the black market. They are looking for items on trailers or stored in trailers or just the trailers to use to haul stolen upper end SUV's or custom cars from buildings. These guys are orgainized and using juveniles (male and female) to steal the items and then transfer them to adults for out of state travel or sales. Our laws are so lax on juveniles for theft.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete E
The early Kryptonite locks could be defeated with the plastic barrel from a bic pen..

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=_2vLtpVPqhI&feature=related[/video]

In fairness it wasn't just Kryptonite locks but rather many of the early round keyed locks..heres one by masterlock

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=o-LWGJzglho&feature=related[/video]

Agreed that there are many ways those old U locks could be easily defeated. Bottom line is that there are precious few mechanical devices that cannot be beaten by a determined thief/other.

L

P.S. I've used a simple remedy to 'beat' a K lock (mine)that I lost the keys to: a sledgehammer. One blow was all it took. There's another way I've never tried but heard from friends that employs a spraycan and cold gas. Think frozen metal = brittle metal...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I purchased my Yamaha, the old salesman gave me some advice. He said "Lock your hitch to your car. Lock your trailer to your hitch. Lock your ATV to your trailer." He told me "Your ride will disappear, trailer and all, in the time it takes you to get a coffee in McDonalds".

I even park where I can see it when traveling.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I would suggest cable, as opposed to chain - the reasoning being, it's tough to cut a cable with your common bolt cutters.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't speak for chain...
...but when I was on the fire department, we had a semi wreck in the middle of town. I can't remember *why* we needed to get in the trailer, but we thought we did. We had "jaws" and were unable to cut the huge Masterlock that held the trailer door shut.

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never tried it, and I know nothing about highway flares, but I've heard they can be used to cut locks and chains.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 1beaver_shooter, 257Bob, 2500HD, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,693
Posts18,534,560
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.