Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
tons of land along the east coast from West Virgina to Maine, I get sick every time I watch some guy on TV take a buck, a tame buck, raised on a farm, fed, watered, give minerals, good lord, did you burp them to!!! Lazy way of hunting, you will get more out of taking a nice 8 Pt. out of WV then I would a 160 class Texas PET buck!!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't burp them because of the smell, but I do hand feed them carrots so they don't notice when I stick my .45 to their head.

Seriously, for me a trophy depends on what you put into getting it. YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I understand your sentiment, it can easily be countered by muzzleloader hunters who are then countered by bowhunters, who are then countered by traditional archers, who are then countered by only ground hunting, rock throwing hunters.
Do you see my point?
Some types of hunting are more appealing than others to some people, and some are certainly more challenging. But this holier than though [bleep] is what causes hound hunters to lose their privaleges, bear baiters to lose out, etc, etc, etc.
Hunt however you want. We mostly know and understand the relative challenges involved in most types of hunting. In some places it's called hunting smart and not hard. In others it's called management of the land and the deer herd. Still others take great satisfaction out of the whole process of timber or brush management, growing crops or food plots, placing stands, etc. Not everyone wants to hunt the way you do.
We've already been over the "trophies bought or earned" thing lately.

Last edited by exbiologist; 07/20/10.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not my cup of tea, but it doesn't really bother me. Does it bother you when someone butchers a cow? Close to the same thing in my book. And I've never seen a TV that didn't have an off button.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to agree that a hard earned trophy sure gives me more satisfaction. But, just because it's not my cup of tea doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have four trail cams posted over some food plots so I can watch the deer all year. I had two very nice and unique bucks coming to several of my plots last year and was able to watch their antlers growing from nubs to beautiful racks. I didn't name them but did consider them to be somewhat pet-like. I doubt they considered themselves to be my pets. They were as wild as they come. I stayed fairly clear of their areas until some folks came down who would get a big kick out of hunting and perhaps shooting a nice buck. My nephew took one, a nice 10 pointer, and a close friend took the other, a heavily palmated 18 pointer. Both had to hunt hard for those bucks. I was especially glad my friend got her 18 pointer rather than having it killed by some spotlighting road poacher.

I might add that both folks are, like me, from the hills of Tennessee and have, like me, gone up and down quite a few mountains in search of deer. I reject the premise that hunting is only worthwhile if you have to negotiate mountainous terrain or hunt in areas with low population densities. Mountains, flatlands, scarce deer, oodles of deer, food plots, pristine forests... it is all worthwhile; it is all good.

I don't have to tax my ancient body to its limits or make myself miserable in order to have a good time hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try this one on for size.
The guys I hunt with have a policy; no ome goes home empty handed. All deer harvested are shared equally amongst the five of us. We are meat hunting so trophies are'nt an issue. Works very well, especially if you chose the wrong blind.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well here I am out in Eastern Washington where we have sage flats to farm land to 10000 foot mountains, heavy timber and thick under brush and I have hunted them all. The older I get the closer I hunt to the truck and I like to hunt up hill so its a down hill drag. Oh yah I also bought a 700 Grizzly so the drag is easier and I refuse to sleep on the ground any more so I guess that makes me a wimp and if I don't get a buck early in the season I got drawn for the Old Farts doe tag (65 and older) where they eat in the wheat fields and are so fat they can hardly walk. So You could say they are the farmers pet or pests. Wished I had a dollar for every 100yrds I have packed out game over the years then I would be able to retire.

Last edited by 264wm; 07/20/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifles, muzzle loaders, slug guns, archery, chasing them down with dogs..... you boys are wimps, and wasting good $$ on unnecessary equipment!

Oatmeal cookie in one hand, and a ball-peen hammer in the other. Look 'em square in the eye before bashing his brains in..... now that's hunting up close and personal.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Rifles, muzzle loaders, slug guns, archery, chasing them down with dogs..... you boys are wimps, and wasting good $$ on unnecessary equipment!

Oatmeal cookie in one hand, and a ball-peen hammer in the other. Look 'em square in the eye before bashing his brains in..... now that's hunting up close and personal.

Well, I object to the use of bait. No oatmeal cookie for me!

I stalk using only the hammer... wink

John

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jpb

John

Yeah, it's not very sporting. I personally prefer to stalk naked through the mesquite and prickly pear and use my bare hands....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll see yah and raise yah one, buck naked bareback on a horse bull dog a porquipine and bite his jugular vain then eat him raw quills and all.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jpb

John

Yeah, it's not very sporting. I personally prefer to stalk naked through the mesquite and prickly pear and use my bare hands....

Personally, I'd recommend the strategic application of Turtle Skin to certain vital parts of the anatomy unless your fondest secret desire is to mate with rattlesnakes. Just sayin'....

But back on topic, it always amuses me when guys who wouldn't hesitate to hunt over a planted cornfield... criticize those who have to pour their cornfields out of bags. It's intellectually dishonest.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Originally Posted by jpb

John

Personally, I'd recommend the strategic application of Turtle Skin to certain vital parts of the anatomy unless your fondest secret desire is to mate with rattlesnakes. Just sayin'....

But back on topic, it always amuses me when guys who wouldn't hesitate to hunt over a planted cornfield... criticize those who have to pour their cornfields out of bags. It's intellectually dishonest.

+1 on the last statement.....I seem to remember an old story about rocks and glass houses

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well it is just the difference in hunting "City Boy" style.. and country boy style...( not to be confused with Trailer Trash style)....

what bothers me out west here is the Road Hunter Crowds...

Oregon doesn't require wearing Orange.. so we have a lot of road hunters, cruising Forest Service roads in their diesel pickups clattering away ( you can hear them coming for miles).. and when they get there... they are sitting there in the front seat, wearing camo from head to toe with them 400 Winchester Magnums on their lap, without the safety on....complete with the high magnification 50 mm object scope they picked up at Bi Mart on sale for $49.95.....

and they stop and ask you if you saw anything......

so I tell them " yeah, I just saw the biggest buck I have ever seen, that had to have at least a 12 point rack, right up on that ridge..."

they usually burn rubber getting after it.. without even asking if I took a shot at it...

little do they know that they are chasing a fictional mirage...

and they take off before they see the smile on my face for them taking the bait.. and my chalking up another point for those of us that actually get out and hunt the old fashion way...on our feet and not sitting on our assses...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What we have here is another one of them threads that are saying in essence, If you don't hunt the way I do then you are a low rent, sorry, worthless individual. This is, of course, pure bull hockey.

Everybody finds their own way of doing things that pleases them and why should they be concerned about what anybody else thinks about it. Sports hunting isn't a one upsmanship game or at least shouldn't be to my way of thinking.

If you or I don't care for a certain style of hunting then we shouldn't do it. There is no call to poor mouth those that do enjoy that style though, at least to my way of thinking.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck, you know very well that anyone who don't hunt the way I think it should be done is a lazy, worthless bass turd and don't deserve to be called a hunter. At least not a real hunter like me. wink

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
We all do the same thing differently ! As long as the Legislators allow it , who am I to condemn those that take their game without actually hunting !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TFF

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't think you'd know a real mountain buck if one shoved its horn up your azz.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1badf350, 260madman, 25aught6, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,946
Posts18,519,170
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.