Page 1 of 2 1 2
#426366 02/03/05
R
RZ49 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
They have been around a long time but i dont see much on them. Anyone have an opion on them?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't get near them. I was royally screwed by them. Lost over $500. Tried by best to get satisfaction as they stated in their ads. In a 5 yr running battle the end result was their keeping my stock and my money!

Had two stocks, first one was not produced correctly, they left out an escheon with a blind mag setup. Second split. STAY AWAY!!!

If I had time I'd tell you how I really think.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just had them restock a Rem. 700 30.06 ADL, Good turnaround time, they kept in touch, nice looking paint, and the rifle shoots well. I will find out how their CS is, it doesn't feed the last round out of the magizine. I haven't contacted them yet.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have owned either 3 or 4 of them, but won't use any more. Theyare just too soft/flexible. Even had a 270 split the action on one, and that is not much recoil. But one on a 7-08 has lasted years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you want the biggest POS available,MPI should be your first stop................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Oh come on now Stick. (grin) Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold your feelings inside.

Love Ya Man

Tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guess I'm just one of the fortunate few, have had an MPI on a 7 lb. ish 7mag for 9 years with nary a hiccup! ( hope I ain't jinxing myself) The recoil on the 7 mag seems more comprable to my regular setup .338 so it does cough a bit when you touch it off. But I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good, looks like I got lucky with this one.

Caveat, I don't shoot it all that much, maybe 200 to 400 rounds a year but it has been on many a bumpy plane ride, up and down mountains, cinched down hard on a raft, banged around on a boat more than lot's of folks rifles. But with the other posters stated experiences I would probably think long and hard before purchasing another, I'm big on folks standing behind there products. In fact I've purchased a Mc and a Bansner in the years since. My pard has a Lone Wolf on his lightweight .30-06 but I don't know that he would buy another one even though his still is functioning. 1ak

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got two. One produced about 8 years ago is on a 338 Jamison. It's a POS and was when it was delivered. I swore I'd never use another. Took more work to make it functional than it was worth.

About a year ago I went to stock an MRC short action. My gunsmith is now using MPI almost exclusively. I declined. He pointed out they have changed most everything, including their stock patterns. They had about 7 different configurations of stocks, one on the Winchester Featherweight pattern which fits me like a glove. I reluctantly agreed based on my friend's guarantee he would swap it if I wasn't satisfied.

When the stock was delivered it was totally different in appearance and finish to the old one, like two different makers. It looked almost finished. It's been on the gun a while now and I'm totally satisfied. They deserved their bad rap earlier but I think they finally learned and turned things around. I'd not hesitate to use them again.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My smith uses them for Ruger #1's that he builds. Apparently they are the only synthetic stock available for that action.

Anyhow, the ones I've handled and shot seemed pretty good. Admittedly, I haven't abused one to see how it holds up, but they did not strike me as junk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
have had two on Savage 99s, still have one, a lightweight with kevlar. Both quite satisfactory, both obtained more than ten years ago, both installed and finished by MPI.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have two, one very light and well used, and another on a 338-no problems. Would do it again but would have a smith known to me fit and bed it rather than MPI. The last time I checked (which was a while ago) he farmed that end out, as there were two different shops that fitted and bedded mine ... I didn't like the fitting and bedding job on one but everything else OK.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had 2 the first one kept going back because the butt stock end kept caving in ( it was on a Rem. 700 in 270 cal). After the third time and a good chewing they said they would make it right, and gave me the second one for free, I had almost 40 hours in that stock trying to fix all of their @#!& ups before I tossed it in the corner of my shop, Had a guy come in one day and wanted it so I gave it to him, He worked on it for about another 40 hours called me and talked about my mother's marriage status. He also thought it was a p.o.s.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I did a search over to AR for MPI and things sound pretty grim over there, too. Dunno, lot of bad press on these babies. I couldn't quite get a feel for it (but didn't put much time into it either), if it was a quality issue at a particular period in time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used the M70 featherweight style for a 35 Whelen. This stock is too flimsy particularly in the foreend as delivered. I removed the foam from the foreend and laid in two layers of cloth and resin and refoamed it prior to bedding. It also required a lot of body filler in non-critical areas of strength just to fill the gaps. The nose of the comb was too high to allow bolt clearance so had to reshape that and lay new glass to replace the skin layer that had to be removed.

It turned out well but I bet I have more time in it than the manufacturer by far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used one for my lightest backpack rifle because it is the lightest blank available. It did require quite a lot of extra work and creative reinforcement. At the end of the job, it was very stiff and still lighter than any other blank I've used. The sub 5 lb rifle shoots quite well. However, unless you wish to hit a ridiculously light weight goal (like me), there are other/better choices.

Disclaimer......Lone Wolf claims some very light weights. The few reports that I have heard is that they do not hit their advertised weights and thay are also pretty flimsy. This is 2nd-3rd hand info and they (may) in fact be just as advertised.

JimF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Jim- Glad to see you're back on the boards after you're long hiatus. Good lightweight talk has been sorely missed.
Jim.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had two of their stocks and didn't have any problems from using them. I did have to put in a lot of time to fit them to the rifles, even though they were supposed to be molded for the action. That said, it is of note that I'm no longer using them. One I just never liked because the stock didn't fit well so it wasn't used for long. The other was on my 358STA for quite a few years and saw a lot of hard use. It was an A-Square hamilcar stock molded for the M70, but built to A-Square's specifications(MPI supplied A-Square's factory synthetic stock). I never had a problem with it, and like the way it shot, but always felt it was too bulky for carrying around all day. If you've ever handled an A-Square rifle, you know what I mean (feels like carrying a 4X4 post around).

Oh, both of those MPIs were replace with McMillans, for what it's worth.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stocker, was yours the newest version of the MPI like Bobski mentions or an older version?

Thanks

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Brad: To be honest, I don't know. I traded a stock refinishing/checkering recut on a Fox Sterlingworth for the MPI. When it arrived I realized quite quickly that if I squeezed the forend hard I could crush it. Among other problems, the sharp pointed screw that retains the bolt release on a Mauser sat outside the profile of the stock. I keep thinking it was the first one they ever made for a 98. One thing about glass stocks. you can do a lot of modifying to make them work and still look fairly good. This stock is the spare canoe paddle I referred to several months back. I'm more than happy to returm to walnut where you have to do it right the first time. By the way. by the time I had incorporated enough fit and strength to suit me it was no longer a light weight stock. Probably equal in weight to good, dense walnut.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I stocked a Ruger 77 in 7-08 about 12 years ago with one. I had to cut the bolt notch and change the location of the recoil lug bedding. I still had problems with the forend. I had to hog out the foam and replace it with two layers of kevlar cloth and full length bed the whole action/barrel. It was never a tack driver, but I'm not a fan of the low-end Shilen barrels that Brownells carries and that's what it has.

It was a hellof a lot of work. The stock is great now and has held up to several thousand rounds and hunts. I traded it to my buddy for a 220 Swift and it is still holding up fine. I would never use one again. Then again, my experience with McMillan was similar and I won't use them again either- at least not on anything other than a Rem or Win. Never had a single problem with Brown Precision and a few others.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, BangPop, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,148 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,686
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.